• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

So many Pokeballs!

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Me gutan los Apriballs~ I mean I like the Apriballs.
    Some Pokéballs like Net Balls, Dive Balls, Premiere Balls and Luxury Balls are my top favs. :)

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Design wise my favourite three are easily the Heal, Luxury and Dive Balls. When it comes to capturing Pokemon in general, for some reason I'll always try and use just a regular Pokeball. Usually I'll go for Great/Ultra Balls when capturing the stronger Pokemon or legendaries, but when making up a team I like them to all be caught in the same Pokeball. 8)

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2016
    I always try to use the Pokéball as much as I can as I like it's design. It's nice, simple and a classic! Even though it's not as good for catching legendaries I find myself never wanting to catch legendaries in my playthroughs anyway so the good old Pokéball does me.

Years
  • I honestly don't really care what it looks like as long as it gets the job done. Ultra Balls are my most common form of capture, and they don't look too bad themselves. However, if I was to choose one that has the best design, it's the Net Ball for me. I use it sometimes, too. :3

jessluvstolaugh

Video game maniac
    Years
  • I love the pokeballs you can make with apricorns. The heavy ball would be very helpful to have for catching Legendaries in ORAS (sigh).

Aside from that, I like to use quick balls, net balls and dive balls for catching pokemon.

Years
  • Dusk Ball, Heal Ball, and Heavy Ball for me. I tend to do most of my catching at night, so Dusk Balls make doing that infinitely easier. Heal Balls are just handy to have overall and I would probably use them all the time if their effect worked more than once, and Heavy Balls are useful for legendary catching but are unfortunately limited to HG/SS. Honorable mention goes to the Safari Ball, which we'll probably never see again outside of breeding from past games.

Seriously, Game Freak, just do what you did with the Boon Island/Two Island Market Stall and have a random salesman import the things from Johto and sell them for a reasonable price! You don't see Devon Corporation of Hoenn hogging all of their Timer Balls and Repeat Balls; why must the Apricorn Poke Balls of Johto be any different in exclusivity/rarity?

Kurt is just one old guy in Johto that can't physically make the required amount of Poke Balls for that sort of thing. On the other hand, Devon is a huge company that has the manpower, money, and reach to be able to sell their Poke Balls and other products in other regions. Of course, Kurt could just go to Devon or Silph or some other company and tell them how to make them, but he doesn't seem interested in making money off them or else he would have been selling them years ago. Plus, he doesn't seem like the type to willingly tell anyone, especially some company only interested in making money, how to do what he does.

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    I use Ultra Balls, yep, I like to be bland and boring.

If I can I'll use Net/Dive Balls just because I like the animation when the Pokemon pops out of it.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    In terms of looks, original Poké Ball is my most favorite, without a doubt. It's simple, and its colors complement each other pretty well, at least from my perspective.

Usability, it's Master Ball. Although most of us get our hands on this ball only once per play-through, it never fails to capture any Pokémon, regardless of their size or strength. There's no reason to like it, really! Aside from that, I'm also fond of Ultra, as well as Dusk (helpful when attempting to catch legendaries that reside in dark areas).

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I used Quick Balls pretty often because usually it's useful for a first-turn catch, that means I may be able to catch Pokémon easily this way. Its design is pretty good, too.

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
    Years
  • I never use any kind of Pokeball for the added effects, actually, I only use them for looks. Some of my favorites being Heal Ball, Dive Ball, Love Ball, Dream Ball, and Cherish Ball... unfortunately those last two are inaccessible by normal methods. Some honorable mentions are the Net Ball, the Luxury Ball, and the Dusk Ball.

I have gone out of my way to capture Pokemon in special balls, as well. I made sure to catch Dialga in a Timer Ball, Kyogre in a Dive Ball, and Giratina in a Dusk Ball, for example. I will also only EVER capture Mewtwo in a Masterball, and will never catch anything else in one (unless it was something insanely rare like a legit shiny legendary)... simply because I feel that ball was designed for Mewtwo. It's purple/white, has two spherical bumps, and even has a white "M" on it. I know that stands for Master, but c'mon, it's a Mewtwo Ball. Anything else would just seem weird in it.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Honorable mention goes to the Safari Ball, which we'll probably never see again outside of breeding from past games.

Kurt is just one old guy in Johto that can't physically make the required amount of Poke Balls for that sort of thing. On the other hand, Devon is a huge company that has the manpower, money, and reach to be able to sell their Poke Balls and other products in other regions. Of course, Kurt could just go to Devon or Silph or some other company and tell them how to make them, but he doesn't seem interested in making money off them or else he would have been selling them years ago. Plus, he doesn't seem like the type to willingly tell anyone, especially some company only interested in making money, how to do what he does.

Yikes; I didn't realize that the Safari Zone's normal accessibility might be phased out due to Game Freak's aversion/reluctance to implement Safari Zones/Safari Games past Generation 4... :/ Even though its "purpose" is somewhat specialized (which really shouldn't count - the Safari Ball is essentially a re-costumed Great Ball that is restricted to a certain area), I still feel that it should at least be made in Poke Marts, so as not to waste the cool camouflauge design.. :(
    (Although, Pokemon OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire Versions, what the eff are you two games doing by hosting a Safari Zone without any proper Safari Balls? -_- At least make the experience feel more like a Pokemon Safari..)

Great in-universe rationale for Kurt and the Apricorn Balls; it makes a lot of sense. Although I haven't properly played through any Johto-based Pokemon games yet, Kurt does kind of look like a reclusive, "non-corporate" type of individual.. From a meta/outside-of-game perspective, though, I see no plausible excuse for the exclusion of the Apricorn PokeBalls aside from time (which really shouldn't be one, at least if one plans properly...sigh) or "Game Freak's artistic preference" (as a fan of the Apricorn Balls, this would be a very poor artistic choice, in my opinion). Sigh...I would just like my Electric-type Pokemon in Fast Balls (and so on with the other Apricorn Poke Balls), Game Freak; is that aesthetic feature too much to ask for? Sheesh.. (even though the Fast Ball is meant more for speedy/fleeing Pokemon rather than Electric-type ones, despite the Fast Ball's visual design..)

m2wEB44.png

The Luxury Ball has been one of my favorites ever since its introduction in like, Gen III or so? It pulls off being sleek and comfortable without looking too obnoxious or pretentious. It's a shame though, much like Premier Balls, that there can hardly be a justifiable use for it considering most of the time it'll probably fail seeing as it would work exactly like an ordinary Poke Ball would.

Wow; I just realized that the Luxury Ball's catch rate is equivalent to a normal Poke Ball and that the Luxury Ball's "effect" is applied after battle.. 0_o Yeegh...it's going to be tough catching Arceus in this thing (provided that we actually get a legitimate in-game wild Pokemon encounter or an in-game "captured-in-Luxury-Ball giveaway" for him and not an effortless event distribution).
    --For context, Arceus is the currently only Pokemon that I will catch in a Luxury Ball, due to: the Luxury Ball's unique, ominous design, as well as the Luxury Ball's cool Generation 3 "releasing a Pokemon during battle" animation, and as a way for Arceus to have a higher, exclusive status compared to the "Mewtwo, Lugia, Ho-oh, Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Regigigas, Heatran, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde" legendary crew (all of whom I plan to catch in Master Balls due to aesthetics/preference).

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • Quick and Dusk Balls are all a person needs to be successful.

Heck, I feel that they're a little overpowered, especially the Dusk Ball. They make capturing things way too easy, especially since I play at night a bunch. I love how the Love and Moon Balls are designed, but I never really found a use for any of the Apricorn-based Poke Balls. I usually save those Quick/Dusk Balls for anything I really want to catch, and Ultra Balls go to anything in between. I never really deviate from that "strategy", if you can call it one - only using the classic Poke Ball in the early game and later neglecting them.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • But Luxury Balls are so cool looking! :(

They're also so expensive for something that isn't so useful! C'mon, about a thousand PokeDollars for a Poke Ball I don't ever use?

...I'll admit, they do look pretty good, but they're not a favourite of mine. I just don't like what they do, when compared to the bordering on broken Dusk Ball. Call me obsessed.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • To be honest I really don't like Quick Balls. They're... yellow. Which is kinda gross. But Dusk Balls are really nice looking and serve a useful purpose I think. 8)

Agreed in terms of appearance. They're useful, but they look awful. I'm not much a fan of yellow, but I guess they're already blue (I think), so they already have the whole "GOTTA GO FAST" feel to them.

Dusk Balls make legendary encounters extremely easy, as most legendaries are encountered in caves or other dark places. I feel that they break the game. :x

Last edited:

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • A lot of people focus on which Poké Ball they go with for shinies and such so I'd really like to see it happen in full detail.

Sounds nice, but that also makes me feel as if a Poke Ball exclusively for shinies should also exist. I dunno, something that either makes catching shiny Pokemon easier, or a Poke Ball that makes whatever's caught in them have that shiny animation.

But...meh. That sort of takes away the uniqueness of a shiny. I'm probably going off topic here, oops! ;;

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    depends on the game, how far ahead i am in the game, what i'm trying to catch & how much money i have.
    if its something like a
    433.gif
    i'd use a
    Bag_Friend_Ball_Sprite.png
    or a
    Bag_Luxury_Ball_Sprite.png

though in hg i stockpiled
    Bag_Friend_Ball_Sprite.png
    's(which took a few months) up to 100, went to where
    150.gif
    was at saved & prepared for a shiny hunt with many resets only for the first one to be shiny much to my surprise. There is no accounting for luck

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I started becoming really adamant about using Poké Balls exclusively just for the uniformity of it... yeah I know, boring. I have been entertaining the idea of using matching Poké Balls with Pokémon (like a Sylveon in a Heal Ball, Vaporeon in a Dive Ball) because they're apparently popular and admittedly it's a pretty cute concept.

My favorites are probably the Premier Ball, Luxury Ball, and Love Ball.

I also really miss the Poké Ball Seals from Gen IV... js

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
  • Most of my team are in:

Dream_Pok%C3%A9_Ball_Sprite.png

But my Dragonite is in:
    Dream_Fast_Ball_Sprite.png

Which is my favorite. and my Lapras is in:
    Dream_Lure_Ball_Sprite.png

But I really REALLY want:
    Dream_Level_Ball_Sprite.png

C'MON! Nest Ball is NOTHING compared to the 8xs Catch Rate when using a Lv 100 with this thing!!! And for anyone claiming Kurt's just one man: his son (as mentioned by his granddaughter) works for Silph. Mass Produce already!

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
    Years
  • I typically save Premier Balls and sometimes Luxury Balls for Pokemon I really like.

Back in the day I tore through Ultra balls like a fiend as soon as I could buy them and used them on everything. I use mostly Poke Balls now though, they work for pretty much anything non-legendary and even then it's a cool achievement to catch a Mewtwo or Rayquaza in a regular Poke Ball.

Back