• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

SOS Battles

Sirfetch’d

Did you enjoy SOS battles in SuMo? Do you think they will return along with the same shiny chaining mechanics? Do you think there will possibly be updates? Would you like to see the shiny rate perhaps drop a bit?

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I think SOS battles really added a nice kind of flare to the games, though it can be a bit tedious when you're trying to quickly do something. For the most part, I don't foresee them changing much if anything about the feature. I think it works how they intended it to.

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    If they made it so you could still catch a 'Mon even when there are two Pok?mon on the field then I would absolutely love SOS battles. That's my only real gripe about SOS.

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
  • Make them optional.

Adrenaline Orb trigger SOS battles. That's the only change I would make to them.

yep this. make it that SOS battles only happen when Adrenaline orb is activated. It's too tiring when you don't have repels and pokemon keep SOSing.

Sirfetch’d

Tbh the only thing I'd change is allowing people to chain Minior :(

Years
  • I'm on the same bandwagon that SOS Battles should be changed to only start when an Adrenaline Orb is used. Having it happen at random is a huge pain if you're training because two against one is unfair and you easily get ganged up on.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • they annoyed me and I didn't really enjoy that method of shiny hunting either. at the same time, they're a cute and clever feature and probably something that's going to be a staple of alola so I don't see them going away altogether. only adrenaline orb or in totem battles I suppose would be a decent solution.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • *calls for help*

Did you enjoy SOS battles in SuMo? Do you think they will return along with the same shiny chaining mechanics? Do you think there will possibly be updates? Would you like to see the shiny rate perhaps drop a bit?

Lol; I don't even have Pokémon Sun yet to have the proper experience/flashbacks, and just looking the first line of your post irritated me. {XD} But to answer your post, I feel like it'll return as is in Pokémon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon. The 1/4096 shiny rate (or whatever it gets reduced to via SOS-battling) should stay the same, in my opinion.

Make them optional.

Adrenaline Orb trigger SOS battles. That's the only change I would make to them.

This; seriously. I have a feeling that SOS battles are going to outright annoy me when I experience them in person.. They should definitely be optional - I was going to suggest an Options toggle, but this method works well without breaking the videogame immersion (not to mention it allows an item with a cool name to exist and have a purpose!).

The shiny-chaining method via SOS battling seems somewhat convoluted/tedious/too time-consuming to me (even though I haven't used any shiny-chaining methods in Generation 4 or beyond); the other generations seem like they had much more streamlined shiny-chaining methods, so I guess make shiny-chaining more like those methods? I'd have to revisit/reread the shiny-chaining mechanics for Generations 4 - 7 for better understanding, anyway..

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
  • I did enjoy SOS battles & I'm excited for their return! (They'll most likely come back I'm pretty sure)

But I feel like since USUM is the sequel & they'll revamp things a bit, they should/will probably include a feature to avoid SOS battles. Maybe like some sort of held item or repel to avoid SOS battles will be included

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    I've only had Moon for two days now but I'm already fed up with them. I wish they were exclusive to certain patches of grass or parts within a location, because they're extremely tedious when you're in a hurry or just want to catch one Pokémon for your Dex. I hope they tone this down a bit in USUM.

Years
  • they annoyed me and I didn't really enjoy that method of shiny hunting either. at the same time, they're a cute and clever feature and probably something that's going to be a staple of alola so I don't see them going away altogether. only adrenaline orb or in totem battles I suppose would be a decent solution.

I personally feel SOS failed as a shiny hunting method to me. I guess it's because you need an insidiously long chain going before you even get an increased chance of the shiny, while HAs start showing up long before you reach the rate of a possible shiny appearance.

Years
  • SOS Battles, much like every other shiny hunting method, requires quite a bit of patience. Personally, I've captured more shinies in Gen VII than I ever have in any other generation. Some chains will fail, while some will succeed while you're on your 40th or 50th Pokemon (which is actually pretty fast). You really just have to keep at it and see what happens. :o

Maybe it's just me. I'm just not an avid shiny hunter to begin with but I hear it's frustrating.

Back