• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[SPOILERS] Does anyone else find it really screwed up that...

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
Years
  • Spoiler:

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Spoiler:

The vast majority of the characters in Pokémon are children and some are younger than others. By that logic, it should also be considered screwed up that preteens in general are allowed to travel on their own and venture out to capture and train potentially dangerous Pokémon without adult supervision, but that's the norm in the Pokémon world. With that, some of these children are younger than average. For example, you have Youngsters and Preschoolers that participate in the battle facilities, indicating that they have defeated the Elite Four at some point in their career despite their young age. In addition, in Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, a Youngster is one of the few trainer classes that can challenge you for your championship title. Thus, child prodigies are not unusual in the Pokémon world. Parents are hardly ever presented in the Pokémon world as well. For the most part, it's only the protagonist that is shown to have a mother and sometimes the rivals depending on the game.

Years
  • I haven't gotten that far in the game yet so I'm just responding as you describe it. yes, I think it's really odd for it to be that way without there being any mentioning of it at all, especially since as far as I remember in the pokemon world you can set off on your journey at age 10. does this break the rule? I wonder if she isn't only 10 but maybe 25, and they're just pulling an anime stunt like when their teachers randomly look infantile but they're actually adults

Years
  • No weirder than an entire organization falling apart at the seems because some random kid and his flaming lizard wandered into the wrong building at the right time. Or how these same random kids are allowed to just casually keep primordial being and literally dieties. Poppy didnt even make me bat an eye, was more concerned how awful the elite four theme is

Years
  • Honestly I really don't think it's that strange at all by Pokemon standards. As a few users have pointed out child prodigies aren't that uncommon at all in Pokemon. Poppy's parents aren't anywhere to be seen but I assumed the other elite 4 members being adults had made it pretty clear she has some kind of adult supervision here. Her parents are probably busy with their own lives to be involved in League business, and unless she inherited the role from them or they're into Pokemon battles themselves, they might not really care enough to have to babysit her during her battles. Hell, the way the E4 battles are organized here means its basically guaranteed Rika would be there to supervise her and make sure she doesn't throw a tantrum and crush the challenger with the full weight of her Copperajah out of frustration from losing. I don't think Poppy is intended at all to really be a child star parallel, but rather a way to show that anyone, regardless of age, can be a Pokemon master or somethin.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Assumes Poppy to just look young because of height. Mentioned Nemona being the youngest to achieve Champion rank (according to Hassel, another Elite Four member). Doubts too much time between Nemona's accomplishment and the start of the game. (Never specified.) May not be a necessary requirement to become an Elite Four member, though.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • Child prodigies are nothing new in Pokemon. Romance, Tate and Lisa are very young in Hoenn and are Gym Leaders. Iris is very young and is a Gym Leader and is a Champion when slightly older.

Young Poppy will always be watched by one of the other Elite Four it seems.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
  • It's a kid's game, despite all of the older people playing it. Kid empowerment is a strong selling point for kid's movies, cartoons, and games. Of course, back not even a century ago kids were a lot more mature and went out hunting and doing work on their own without adult supervision. In Japan, young kids go an do errands on their own as well - there is a whole Netflix show about this in fact.

That being said, I wouldn't mind having a future game allow you to pick an age range for your character.

Back