• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Starter Pokemon you've -never- picked?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Honestly, I have picked every starter and played all the way through with them, except for my currently ongoing Y playthrough where I picked Chespin. But I have played with every starter. I do have a hard time using the Unova ones, though. They just...come out so mediocre in the end that I usually don't keep them for the whole game. Not a huge fan of the Sinnoh starters either. All of the other ones though, I tend to keep them unless I'm doing a playthrough that doesn't allow me to do so.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
    I've picked all the Kanto and Johto multiple times , but the ones I've the least out of those are Squrtle and Cyndaquil. I love Typloshion, but at the same I find it the most uninteresting.
    Hoenn- I always pick Treecko cause it's my favorite Pokemon and I love it's speed. I rarely use Mudkip and Torchic. It's not that they're awful cause they're great and have amazing typing, I just prefer Treecko's evolution over theirs.
    Sinnoh- Never used Chimchar ever, and only once used Piplup. Chimchar and it's evo family were always my least favorite evo line of all the starters plus Infernape is part of the dreaded and infamous Fire/Fighting trio that I hate so much. Turtwig was always my choice and Torterra has an exceptional movepool. Gen 4 was also the time I became biased towards the Grass starter cause of my love for Treecko.
    Unova- I have used all of them at least once so I can't pick one. I prefer Snivy and Oshawott though so I've used them more than Tepig.
    Kalos- The only one I haven't used so far is Chespin, though if we get a third version of X and Y, I'll definitely use give it a try.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
    I'll never use a fire starter because those are the starters my twin uses, and I obviously can't use the same ones. He's stopped playing, but my bias carries over to each new game. I haven't played all of the games, but out of the ones I have played, I've chosen the grass starter first, and then the water starter on my second playthrough. Gotta love those grass types.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    I haven't used Tepig or Fennekin for some reason. Usually, the Fire starter is my favorite of the trio, but there's just something about Tepig I don't like. As for Fennekin, I haven't played X/Y enough times to use all the starters, and Fennekin was the last one for me to choose. Maybe it's Delphox's design that's weirding me out.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I've used all starters from Gen 1-3, in Gen 4 I've never used Turtwig or Chimchar, used all in Gen 5, and in Gen 6 I've never used Chespin or Froakie. So, all in all, I've used most.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    I think at this point the only starter I've never picked was Bulbasaur. I'm not sure why but I've just always hated how dopey Venusaur looks and Bulbasaur's just never done it for me so I've never chosen it.

Azelfino

Willpower
    Years
    • Seen Jul 21, 2016
    I have tried all starters from every game so I'll list my least favourites (ones I chose last or would never choose again). Bulbasaur, Chikorita, Snivy, Tepig, Chespin and Fennekin.
    These Pokemon just don't vibe with me, my least favourite out of them is Snivy due to its limited move pool and play style (defensive).

Infinitum

╭━━╮╱╱╭━? ??╱╱╱╱╭╮╱? ?╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱ ╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱? ??╭?
    Years
    Squirtle - Always looked a bit lame and weak to me. Very unappealing starter cause Charmander was the overall favorite in the old generations and Bulbasaur's evolutions just looked so nice to me.

Mudkip - Also unappealing, weak and a bit odd-looking. I'm aware that he had an interesting type combination and was good to use, but he didn't cut it for me.

Piplup - The third water starter I refused to use. Might have been an ache against the type... He looked also weak and unappealing to me.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2019
    I dont like picking the grass starters, I usually go with water and if the fire starter final evo looks cooler than I pick that.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I believe it would have to be Turtwig in Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum. Although I did get a hold of the Pokémon from a friend by trading, I can't remember ever picking up Turtwig as my starter. If I did, though, I don't feel it would've been that bad of a choice, considering how easy to utilize it becomes once it gains access to a few hard-hitting moves. I probably should have selected this Pokémon in one of my runs.

Aside from Turtwig, I can't think of anything else; I've gone through with every other starters at least once.

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2024
    I've never used Chikorita, Snivy, Tepig, or Fennekin.

I have no real excuse for not using Chikorita. I like it fine, but I prefer Cyndaquil and Totodile and have always picked them. Plus, I've only ever played through Gold, Crystal, and Heart Gold once each.

I despise Snivy and it's evolutions; I can't explain it, but I have this intense reaction of disgust to their designs and the thought of even possibly using them.

Tepig is kinda meh, but I'd be willing to use it. I just haven't - I've only ever played through White and White 2 once each, and I decided to use Oshawott (by far my favorite of the three) in both. I'm planning on playing through Black and/or Black 2 using it sometime this month (because I've never played more than 5 minutes in Unova during winter.

Fennekin is okay, but I prefer Froakie and Chespin, and so I used them in X and Y, respectively. I haven't had a second playthrough of either game.

Years
    Well, i've used every single starter at least once, but i've never had a Meganium in HGSS, because I picked Chikorita there exactly once, and it was in a Nuzlocke, where it died in the Burnt Tower to my rival's Quilava in a terrifying fight. I didn't have any deaths for three badges then that thing came out of nowhere.

...Actually, I haven't used Treecko in ORAS yet, either. But I will make it a point to.

Years
    I've used all of the starters at one point or another from Kanto and Johto, and if you include the Torchic distribution in XY, then I've used all of the Hoenn starters too.

From the newer generations though, I've never used Chimchar, Turtwig, Tepig, or Fennekin. The recurring theme here is that I don't really care for the Fire type starters for whatever reason, and if it weren't for that distribution that I mentioned earlier, the only Fire type starters that I would've used are Cyndaquil and Charmander.

Years
    There are only 2 starters I have never picked; Chikorita and Chimchar. With starters, I tend to think about the final evolution of each one. Meganium doesn't appeal to me at all. I don't favour it's design or any of the others along the evolution line. Chimchar is a weird one because Infernape is a strong last evolution. It's just that I've pretty much always picked Turtwig because I love Torterra so much and Piplup was the first one I picked.

blue

gucci
    Years
    I think I've picked every starter at least one time or another, I just haven't fully used their evolutionary lines. For example I've used the likes of Totodile, Torchic, Piplup throughout my journey, but for the likes of Chimchar, Snivy or Froakie, I haven't actually trained them up to their final evolutions.

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2016
    There isn't a starter I haven't used as I always play through each game at least 9-10 times. (I have waaay too much time on my hands)
    Weirdly enough, including the evolutions the starter I've used least is Samurott. I say Samurott cause everytime I pick an Oshawott on my gen 5 playthoughs I stop at Dewott as I like that better. I hate the design of Samurott. In my opinion they really missed an opportunity to have a really cool evolution there.

Back