• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Steve Jobs Voted Most Influential Man in Video Games

Zet

Years
  • Article: https://www.forbes.com/sites/benzin...deo-games-igniting-a-firestorm-of-complaints/

Yes this isn't a joke, it's actually real. I thought this Video Gaming would be better than Other Chat since it's video game related.

The article never states which group of people were surveyed but I guess the group of people would have never touched video games outside of their iphone before. I wonder how American gamers are going to react once this news reaches them.

What are your thoughts on this?

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • The hell?

Sure, he's fairly responsible for the development of computers and whatnot so if you go in that indirect manner he had some sort of influence, but then people like Turing should also get that mention. A lot of what he made wasn't really specifically pushing forward the development of video games though, so... that seems rather suspect and certainly not something I'd agree with.

But on that note - who do people here think has been the most influential person in the video game business?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    The article did state that the people surveyed were the people at that tiny little conference that focused on mobile gaming.

That's so dumb though ugh. I don't see why we should care about their survey results tbh though, there's really nothing binding this to fact so why is it important?

Althea

[For Sale]
    Years
  • I think that the likes of Satoru Iwata and Shigeru Miyamoto, or just Nintendo in general, would be more influential than Steve Jobs. Whilst Steve Jobs has made games more accessible for the vast majority of people, Nintendo as a company are far more influential, because they have totally changed the way in which games are played. The Wii and the DS (NOT the 3DS and Wii-U) totally revolutionised gaming and, whilst I suppose they weren't very well received by "hardcore" gamers, that doesn't matter: the point is, they developed something new, something complete different from what we had seen previously. Touch screen and motion-controlled gaming, whether you like it or not, is a big step forward from what was about previously, and whilst their creativity looks to have dried up somewhat with the 3DS and Wii-U, logical and uninspired successors lacking the same sort of innovation their ancestors had, it doesn't erase past accomplishments. Steve Jobs developed an extremely popular device for gaming, but I would not say he has influenced gaming anywhere near as much as Nintendo have over the last few years, not by a long shot.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • I know Jobs did a lot for tech, and made a lot of good things. But really... He did nothing for gaming (did he personally make all the gaming apps for the iPhone, in fact did he make the first games on cellphones in general?) and he's now the most influential person in gaming? Next thing we'll see is "Steve Jobs... he invented sliced bread.". In fact if we're going to pick a random well known person then Bill Gates would fit the bill better then Steve Jobs, because I'm pretty sure there's more Windows gamers then there are Mac gamers.

But on that note - who do people here think has been the most influential person in the video game business?
    Shigeru Miyamoto
    You had the gaming crash of the 70's (I think it was the late 70's) and Donkey Kong/Mario pretty much brought gaming back to life. Sure Shigeru Miyamoto didn't invent games, he didn't set out to do some big revolutionary thing, but he (well him and Nintendo) really helped gaming back then. If it wasn't for him I think gaming today would be years behind what we have now.

Years
  • Shigeru Miyamoto
    You had the gaming crash of the 70's (I think it was the late 70's) and Donkey Kong/Mario pretty much brought gaming back to life. Sure Shigeru Miyamoto didn't invent games, he didn't set out to do some big revolutionary thing, but he (well him and Nintendo) really helped gaming back then. If it wasn't for him I think gaming today would be years behind what we have now.

This.

SJ's was a great inventor but did nothing for the gaming industry really. Some people might argue it, but his contribution was minimal, very minimal to the point of not worth mentioning.​

Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2012
    The London Games Conference is a small event that that is heavily focused on the digital, social, cloud, and iOS/Android side of gaming.
    LOL. To think that the voters would have picked someone else would be like going into a forest and not expecting trees, especially with Apple's large fanbase and the recent passing of Steve Jobs.

10000 readers of Parade thought that you'll win more often if you switch in the Monty Hall problem, which goes to show that even large groups of people can get things wrong at times. Personal opinions count for nothing. Steve Jobs did a lot of great things, but none related to gaming.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • Wait the Iphone has games? Gah I can stand this or the games on the Iphone, for me its like.. playing a game for 2minutes because your bored. Theres nothing 'real' to it,

jpp8

Producer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2013
    According to Eurogamer, the majority of the 1,000 people surveyed (26%) believe that Steve Jobs is the leading man who shaped video games...
    Eurogamer said:
    That's according 1000 people working within the video games industry, who filled out a London Games Conference survey ahead of its start (10th November).

Welp. (╯°-°)╯︵ ┻━┻

The populous only cares about what is shown on the mainstream media anyway. We never hear about video games unless it's commercials or how they're such a negative influence. Meanwhile, the iPhone is widespread throughout the media, whether it be Steve Jobs, release of the new iPhone, advertising the app store, etc, and Facebook games get their influence spread due to the inherent nature of Facebook. As much as I hate to admit it, Steve Jobs has been pretty dang influential to "gaming" as it is known by the majority of the population (which boils down to Angry Birds, Farmville, and other such "casual" games; not hating on them, just saying).

The influence of video gaming for the "gamer" market is something no one particularly cares about except for those weird nerds who have no friends except for other nerds, and who wants to be associated with those kind of people?

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
    Years
  • wut? That's a really funny way to spell Shigeru Miyamoto.

No seriously sweeties, what? Steve Jobs has as much to do with gaming as much as he has to do with programming. iPhone games != real games.

Obligotory sweetie.

Last edited:

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • ...Apple cultists or Apple trolls, that is the question. I guess the windows fans must've been too busy actually playing video games or something. That or they outright rigged the pole. (Alternatively, perhaps the windows users happened to be sheep who were willing to hop on the bandwagon just to look cool.)

I mean let's be honest here. Steve was not a gaming sort of guy. He didn't really actively do much to be important to the gaming world. In fact, if anything, Valve has had the biggest effect on Apple's gaming presence via making some steam games compatible with Apple computers.

Now... if I had to name the real most important person in gaming...

Power wise, it'd be either Gabe Newell, Shigeru Miyamoto, or Satoshi Tajiri. They're the owners of the kings of their genres. (Check it, Square.)

Contribution wise though, Gabe really didn't really start the revolution so to speak. He just hopped on fairly early. Before TF2 went Free-to-Play Global Agenda had already been there and done that. Before half life we already had Halo and Call of Duty. (Which were both arguably more respectable than they are today.) Shigeru is arguably also a choice for this category. Satoshi? I find myself ultimately unsure with him here. Contribution wise is a very difficult call to make.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    Can someone actually explain what he has done to the video game industry?

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • Wow... people think that Steve Jobs is more influential in video games than someone like Shigeru Miyamoto? I mean, he was the CEO of Apple, which is a (crappy) computer company that makes only 1 good thing, the iPod/iPhone, and he never once made a video game. People just say that he was influential in video games to "respect" him because he died. Seriously, people, GET OVER HIS DEATH ALREADY!!!!

Years
  • I know Jobs did a lot for tech....

Your avatar and signature win so hard it's not even funny.

I think Jobs is a perfect candidate cuz there are so many good games that you can play on the Mac. [/sarcasm]

That's ridiculous. Yeah, you can play game on an iPhone... but they suck. (Okay, there are a couple good ones. But c'mon.) I would definitely agree with Shigeru influenced gaming more than most people, especially Jobs.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    Wow... people think that Steve Jobs is more influential in video games than someone like Shigeru Miyamoto? I mean, he was the CEO of Apple, which is a (crappy) computer company that makes only 1 good thing, the iPod/iPhone, and he never once made a video game. People just say that he was influential in video games to "respect" him because he died. Seriously, people, GET OVER HIS DEATH ALREADY!!!!

Yea, I agree with you. I also feel that they are trying to gain attention just by saying how great is Steve Jobs is. Well, he is great, but I see no link in him and games

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
    Years
  • MACs can't even run most games.
    Great job to whoever voted this moron as the most influential person in the videogame industry.

iPhone games should go die in a fire.

Years
  • All of the Mac arguments are null and void. Most if not all are ports of Windows games in the first place. The focus is on iOS and the social theme and distribution style it brought to the table (the social side is much to my dismay, the distribution, I fully support)

For those of you that didn't read the article:
    Article in OP said:
    The London Games Conference is a small event that that is heavily focused on the digital, social, cloud, and iOS/Android side of gaming.

The idea is that a large portion of gaming (if you have the hide to compare Angry Birds et al with fully fledge video games on this era.) has moved to the social/casual side of things. Apple, although not responsible for this directly, became the main platform on which these games rose to fame *shudder*.

I can see where they are coming from, sure. But I also think they should be smacked up the side of the head and have their right to publicise these stupid decisions stripped from them. Jobs accomplished a lot of things, but video games are NOT in that repertoire.

I will also quote this extract, because I know some all of us will get a kick out of it:

Article in OP said:
    ...added Eurogamer reader Der_tolle_Emil. "Heck, Pokemon alone probably did more to make gaming what it is today than all of the Apple devices combined."

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I dunno, Apple did once have a run-in with the games industry... remember the Pippin?

I honestly believe this is a load of crap. Miyamoto, Gaben, and every other game dev team ever contributed directly to the industry. Jobs just happened to be at the helm of a company that made a platform with games as an afterthought.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Everything I wanted to say has already been said, really. I agree with Arcanine and Cap'n here. Only thing left that I have to say is that was a funny read. lololol

Back