• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sun and Moon too short?

Do you agree?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2017
    Did anyone else feel as if the game might of been too short? I thought X and Y was a longer game and had more to do compared to this new game. Still liked it but wish there was more to do. Also when are they going to make a Pokemon game where you go from Kanto to um forget the name of this current one haha .

L'Belle

I am beauty!
    Years
  • First of all, I didn't really feel like this game was too short. It was long enough for me, and I really enjoyed it.

Second, I don't think there will be a game where you can travel from Alola to Kanto, to be honest. It's just going to be too much for the game to handle, I think.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    With the island trials, grand trials and 4 island I don't find it short. It's relatively long game

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • Considering despite me wanting to enjoy the game slowly, I completed the main story in less than 2 days whilst having work commitment, and the fact that I did get overwhelmed by NPCs a lot of times, so yes, I'll say it is kind of short.

The post-game wasn't that long neither, but at least there were a lot more to do compared to previous generations.

I really enjoyed Alola though, it is definitely longer than previous generations even before the post-game.

Second, I don't think there will be a game where you can travel from Alola to Kanto, to be honest. It's just going to be too much for the game to handle, I think.

With the second generation already being able to take place in between 2 regions, though sure, Kanto is very near Johto and all the likes, but I don't see how with current technologies, that can't be done if we can do that so many years ago.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I felt that Sun & Moon was just the right length of gameplay. Compared to XY, the storyline was a lot more engaging with much stronger characters and that's what made them stand out to me a lot more than XY did. Traveling through 4 separate islands (5 if you include Aether Paradise) made the games feel a lot more fleshed out too imo.

Years
  • Thinking about the expansive islands and engaging story, I would definitely say that Sun and Moon weren't too short. There was plenty of exploration to be had on all four of the Alolan Islands and along with all the trials there was plenty to do to prolong the game.

Years
  • I will say, Ula'Ula Island did feel rather long-winded, and then the Aether Foundation dragged on quite a bit as well, then when you get to Poni Island the endgame stuff all moves super fast. Not helping is how Mount Lanakila doesn't have any trainers. So I do understand this statement.

Guest123123

The longest it's ever taken me to complete a main series Pokemon game was around a week for BW2, including any postgame content I decide to do. Once I get a game, I play it almost nonstop until I finish it.

I didn't find SM short though. The main story seemed around the same length as usual. The individual islands are small, but there's still a lot to do on them. I also felt like it had more postgame content than most Pokemon games.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    Although I haven't fully completed the game yet, with all the trials and side quests, it seems like the perfect length. It tends to take me a bit longer to complete games since I like to do exploring, if possible, before doing any of the story line.

Ninjorf

Friendo
    Years
  • My problem with the game is how front loaded it is. It is very, very good at the start and just terrible at end. It really shows how they must have run out of time and just finished what they could.

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2019
    Well, I didn't find the game short, but I thought it was fun and innovative. Sun and Moon had many things that XY couldn't dream of having.

Elysieum

Requiescat en pace.
    Years
  • I don't believe it was too short at all. In my experience it was the most protracted campaign through a new Pokémon territory out of all of them.

Unfortunately I think the fact that Sun and Moon had the lengthiest and most irritating cutscenes probably contributed to this.

All in all, definitely a longer game than X and Y.

Years
  • It doesn't feel short to me, mainly because of being story and cutscene-heavy. I also had to often spend time training just because I didn't want to be underleveled for major boss fights like Totems and Kahunas.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    In my opinion all the main series games are pretty short. SM had a lot of jumping around so I think it felt longer but in actuality was the same length. All the games suffer from a huge build up to the League and then falls flat after that. Only bw/bw2, hgss, and frlg made any attempt to remedy this by giving you a good chunk more to explore with lots of trainers. A battle facility for a post game is not a good post game.

Back