• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen [Super]-Secret Bases!

Years
  • They changed the screenshot...the dialogue also looks like it kind of changed too they know

[Super]-Secret Bases!

They better return. Omg. I really hope they return. It makes no sense to hide them

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • They better return. Omg. I really hope they return. It makes no sense to hide them
    I'm quite sure that GF has something up it's sleeve. They hid the Battle Frontier/Tower on the map and Sky Pillar. And now they're hiding secret bases. I'm sure GF is hiding them so that they can reintroduce the changes that have been done to them (SB), hide the post game (BF) and third legendary (SP).

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • I think this was one of RSE's best features but I'd like to speculate how they would implement it. Doing it by FC wouldn't work, because what if you add two people who have a Secret Base in the same spot? It would create a conflict.

Also, remember that Secret Power (the move required to create a Secret Base in RSE) is NOT a TM in 6th gen and currently only Audino can learn it as a level up move. For other Pokémon to learn it, transfer from older gens is required. I think it's highly unlikely that they change the TM list just to include this move since TM lists are generally consistent between games of the same generation, unless they add it at the end of the list (TM101). It's only HMs that change. There's also a very slim chance that they introduce a feature that requires transferring Pokémon from older games to work, essentially alienating those who only own 6th gen games.

If it's added to the game, it won't be in the same way it was in the originals. Either way, they must make this work through wifi or else it wouldn't be worth it IMO. The 4th gen Secret Bases required close range wireless connection, which made this feature useless for players like me who don't have a partner in range. I can see it being a StreetPass feature, then you can choose which Secret Bases you want in your game, but it would still suck for me as I have no one to StreetPass with. :P

Years
  • I figures they would put them in this time. They were so cool in the originals, so imagine they'll be able to add better graphics (obviously) and maybe new features.

Years
  • I think this was one of RSE's best features but I'd like to speculate how they would implement it. Doing it by FC wouldn't work, because what if you add two people who have a Secret Base in the same spot? It would create a conflict.

Also, remember that Secret Power (the move required to create a Secret Base in RSE) is NOT a TM in 6th gen and currently only Audino can learn it as a level up move. For other Pokémon to learn it, transfer from older gens is required. I think it's highly unlikely that they change the TM list just to include this move since TM lists are generally consistent between games of the same generation, unless they add it at the end of the list (TM101). It's only HMs that change. There's also a very slim chance that they introduce a feature that requires transferring Pokémon from older games to work, essentially alienating those who only own 6th gen games.

If it's added to the game, it won't be in the same way it was in the originals. Either way, they must make this work through wifi or else it wouldn't be worth it IMO. The 4th gen Secret Bases required close range wireless connection, which made this feature useless for players like me who don't have a partner in range. I can see it being a StreetPass feature, then you can choose which Secret Bases you want in your game, but it would still suck for me as I have no one to StreetPass with. :P

Well considering that current Tm's in XY were HM's in RSE they'll probably regain their HM status like Whirlpool did in HgSs. This will cause Rock Smash and Flash's spots to be open. They could fill one of those up with Secret power.

They could solve the placement issue by having someone stand outside of secret bases shared by people and having them ask you with one you want to see. Then the one you pick is the one you see, and so on. It'll solve a lot of issues. I hope that it's not streetpass. I always viewed Secret Bases as something to be shared between friends, so for it to be between total strangers is a little strange imo.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • Well considering that current Tm's in XY were HM's in RSE they'll probably regain their HM status like Whirlpool did in HgSs. This will cause Rock Smash and Flash's spots to be open. They could fill one of those up with Secret power.

They could solve the placement issue by having someone stand outside of secret bases shared by people and having them ask you with one you want to see. Then the one you pick is the one you see, and so on. It'll solve a lot of issues. I hope that it's not streetpass. I always viewed Secret Bases as something to be shared between friends, so for it to be between total strangers is a little strange imo.

Flash was HM in GSC and changed to TM in HGSS. Whirlpool was never a TM, in all the Johto games it has always appeared as an HM. IMO there's no reason for Rock Smash to become an HM again other than GF annoying us (yes, I hate HMs that much :P ).

For all we know they could add Secret Power as HM, though they probably won't do that because Secret Power isn't a move to remove obstacles like the HMs generally are. I think it's more likely to add it as TM101 for convenience and avoiding screwing up movepools.

Or... They could devise a completely new way.

I think the obvious and easiest way is to do it by StreetPass. I wouldn't mind having foreign people StreetPassing with me because, the way I imagined it, you can choose whose Secret Bases you want to see, so you can effectively not pick strangers.

masterxy

Pokémon Breeder
    Years
  • Also, remember that Secret Power (the move required to create a Secret Base in RSE) is NOT a TM in 6th gen and currently only Audino can learn it as a level up move. For other Pokémon to learn it, transfer from older gens is required. I think it's highly unlikely that they change the TM list just to include this move since TM lists are generally consistent between games of the same generation, unless they add it at the end of the list (TM101).

They could always make the guy who gave you the TM in the originals be a move tutor for this move in the remakes ;)

Years
  • Flash was HM in GSC and changed to TM in HGSS. Whirlpool was never a TM, in all the Johto games it has always appeared as an HM. IMO there's no reason for Rock Smash to become an HM again other than GF annoying us (yes, I hate HMs that much :P ).

For all we know they could add Secret Power as HM, though they probably won't do that because Secret Power isn't a move to remove obstacles like the HMs generally are. I think it's more likely to add it as TM101 for convenience and avoiding screwing up movepools.

Or... They could devise a completely new way.

I think the obvious and easiest way is to do it by StreetPass. I wouldn't mind having foreign people StreetPassing with me because, the way I imagined it, you can choose whose Secret Bases you want to see, so you can effectively not pick strangers.
    Well in Flash's case one didn't need it to actually get past an obsticle, it was more of an annoyance to travel in low light than anything. However they'll have to remove the rock smash obstacles if they don't plan for it to return as an HM, or it'll be (probably) the only Tm ever to actually be needed to get past an area (not counting unlocking as Dig did that in Gen III with the regi caves).

I guess it could work as an HM, as I mentioned earlier flash made it easier to navigate but wasn't absolutely necessary.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    They could always make the guy who gave you the TM in the originals be a move tutor for this move in the remakes ;)
    This. They won't add a TM that is not coded into the other game, especially after removing it. Move Tutor for free sounds like the most likely scenario. Further, any Pokémon that can learn TMs can learn the move even back then, which tells me that every new Pokémon who can learn TMs can also learn it (this excludes Beldum, Unown, etc. who have single moves and nothing else). I hope it's not a move you pay to have learned. Further, Audino (and only Audino) already learns Secret Power normally, and it can be caught virtually anywhere in Unova and occasionally on a couple of Routes in Kalos (I also have Friend Safari access to them, already knowing the move, and with the Klutz ability should anyone need them; I should start catching). Finally, a few DW Pokémon in Unova already know the move, so if you're lucky to have one of the few you're ready to go.

But yes, for those picking this up as a first game, they have nothing. Barring catching an Audino (which may be added as rustling grass to areas; again, you never know), Move Tutor will be the only way. And then you can bring them back into Kalos with the move and breed normally to pass the move down. A nice twist!

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • They could always make the guy who gave you the TM in the originals be a move tutor for this move in the remakes ;)

I get it... In HGSS there's the guy who teaches you Headbutt, which was TM in GSC. So it could work.

Since there's the indentation picture a few pages ago I think they'll return, I mean it works with the 3DS connectivity features perfectly. I'd wager it'll be via StreetPass.

Years
  • I get it... In HGSS there's the guy who teaches you Headbutt, which was TM in GSC. So it could work.

Since there's the indentation picture a few pages ago I think they'll return, I mean it works with the 3DS connectivity features perfectly. I'd wager it'll be via StreetPass.

That can work. The person can be in Slateport since the TM was there in the originals. Also he/she could tell us about any of the wireless features associated with it too while they're at it ;)

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
  • Or they could make Secret Power an HM and replace Flash seeing it has literally no purpose after Gen 3. Personally I prefer Secret Power an HM. Maybe introduce it early on in the game, possibly in Granite Cave?

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Or they could make Secret Power an HM and replace Flash seeing it has literally no purpose after Gen 3. Personally I prefer Secret Power an HM. Maybe introduce it early on in the game, possibly in Granite Cave?
    Did you pay any attention to my last post?

They will not - I'll clarify that, NOT - change any TMs or HMs between XY and OR/AS. NOT. They would never add something now that isn't in the other game because it would be an inconsistency in the same generation. There is NO problem with it becoming a Move Tutor, which is the more appropriate solution at this stage. Besides, making it an HM would return us to inter-generation flaws transporting Pokémon forward; since Bank is meant to be a long-term system for upcoming generations as well, you can be sure they won't be adding ANY new HMs anywhere because then they would have to block HMs again. And we finally get to transfer HMs from Unova to Kalos, something that's never been done inter-generation (just ask my Lv.50 Flying Pikachu in Kalos and any Surfing Pikachu transferred from Gen. IV). They will not ruin that again because that was a major fan complaint. TMs COULD be modified inter-generation, but they will NOT touch HMs again, and TMs now have in-game effects, so Flash can stay a TM as well.

I already wagered that we're getting a Surfing Pikachu somewhere with OR/AS as an Event, in fact.

Years
  • Ah, the Secret Bases were amazing in the originals. I loved picking my place, then eventually buying EVERY decoration possible. And I remember the sale in the Department Store where you could buy cooler decorations like a tent and a slide and stuff, that was really awesome.

My favourite part of the Secret Bases was the battling though - mix records with a friend, and they appear there with their current team, and after beating the Elite 4 you could battle your robo-friend once a day. That was really, really awesome and I hope that feature makes a return. Sure, the VS Recorder lets us have Mock Battles in XY, but if we can battle our friends in their Secret Bases and actually gain experience from it, that'll be all the nostalgia I need.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    Secret bases are a feature that needs to become a standard part of the Pokemon games. They encourage exploration, interaction with other players, creating memories, and have an overall child-like essence to them.

I've got some simple features I'd like to see.
    -The ability to flip items. I can't recall if the originals had this feature. But if they didn't please add it. Heck, since it'll be in 3D the ability to rotate items should be present as well. (Got it, flipping might not be possible but most items are symmetric anyways~)

-The ability to create your own trainer class to be displayed when a player battles the NPC copy of you. So you could be 'Psychic ____' or 'Sergeant ____.'

-'Plushies' for all reasonably sized Pokemon. In other words. Reuse the art assets for Pokemon models that are able to fit reasonably in the secret base. The models are right there! Use them.

-None of these immovable objects, like rocks. I can accept holes since you can cover the holes up. In theory the places with holes should give you more space but less items to put up (It's more for the game to process after all,) (Eh looks like these are returning)

-The ability to place more items. I'm sure the 3DS can handle it. If processing power is an issue you could always make a system where you have a certain number of points available in any secret base. Items reduce the total number of points you have. Objects that are processing-heavy cost more points and objects that are easy to process cost less. (Obtained! The maximum is at least 25 now.)

-More fun tiles like the music and spinning tiles.

-Wallpapers. It'd be nice if you could make your base have a theme more suited to your own style. A tree house base and cave base might work for some people, but what if they want a punk themed base? Or a volcano looking base? Obviously you can't accommodate people with bases that have that kind of style naturally (What would you make a 'punk' base out of?) But you could give items to allow people to make that modification.

-More colors for the various items. I know I like having a theme going with my bases. But that's hard to do when items come in only a couple of different colors.

Last edited:

Misaka

Yokoso
    Years
  • I would love if they included secret bases! They were one of my favorite things about the original games. I think they could really add more to it now. The possibilities are really endless.

Leo the Lion

Too many sexy people in this world, all of them fi
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    I had a great idea: a Radio! To hear songs from the games or other games!

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2014
    For me, secret bases are something that would really benefit from a graphical upgrade. I didn't use them much in the originals, but I could see myself really enjoying being there in glorious 3d.

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2018
    Yesyesyesyesyespls.

Secret Bases are one of the best things in the originals. I spent way more time and money than I probably should have with my secret base. I'll be happy if they kept the same locations (or added more!) because I always had the one base in the tree floating on the water by the cycling road. You know the one. It has the sign proclaiming "TEAM AQUA RULEZ" or Magma, depending on the game. I didn't even care that it wasn't very large and had a rather strange layout. That was my base.

I'd especially love more decorations. There were a whole lot of them and it's still not enough. It's never enough. And an increase of the number of decorations. I always hated that; I ran out of decoration slots long before I ran out of space for decorations. If I want to cover the entire floor with music note pads and waterballoons, I should be able to! :D

Back