• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen [Super]-Secret Bases!

bobandbill

one more time
Years
  • Yes yes yes to secret bases. I loved that feature and it was one of the best things. You could customise it and generally added side content to the games, and rebattle your friends' teams (massive back in the day before intenret wifi connection, haha).

But imagine this.

Secret bases.... + streetpass.

Or secret bases, with people on your 3ds friend list.

yes please

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Gen 3 also saw a drastic change in the contest system, from a group of tents that you had to travel to, to one location because it wasn't good enough

We're not guaranteed to get any of these back, and with the chances of these games not being remakes but new game entities, they don't have any explicit reason to bring back those features even if we did like them.

Despite the incentive to visit Verdanturf Town, Slateport City, and Fallarbor Town being reduced a little, I think the Contest system thing change was more for convenience (it takes a while to prepare for Contests and I imagine that most people do one Rank right after the other, so everything being close in proximity offers convenience instead of the player having to fly around to other cities just to challenge a Contest rank).

Although there's no guarantee that Secret Bases will be back, I think they have a good chance of returning (they were the one feature that enticed me to play Pokemon Sapphire, anyway XD).

Wholeheartedly disagree. Pokémon is about fine-tuning a balance of features, and not shoving everything that's been developed since the inception of the franchise into a single game.

The Battle Frontier is a great example of something that's come and gone and re-appeared, and subsequently vanished once again in the franchise. Diving also went away, I'm willing to be real money that it'll make a comeback in ORAS.

I don't understand what you mean going through "the trouble of completely removing old features." What work does that require?? These games aren't being built off the tops of each other. Removing a feature has nothing to do with work; this isn't like carving out a building. It's 100% got to do with choice, and picking the right amount of features that suit a game, a region, or their console. Secret bases were unique to Hoenn and I absolutely think we'll be seeing them again.

I don't think everything in the history of Pokemon necessarily needs to be shoved into one game (but boy, would it be nice/convenient XD), but if Game Freak's going to fine-tune, they can at least preserve more of the good things. Apricorn Balls come to mind - to maintain consistency with Pokemon caught in Apricorn Balls in past games (Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver), Game Freak has to code them into the games anyway (at least in terms of a Pokemon's Poke Ball "release" and "return" animations); why don't they make them purchasable in other regions (like how Sevii Isles salesmen can have Johto's MooMoo Milk)? At the very least, they would add to Poke Ball variety, and the "Ball-making mechanic" could still remain exclusive to Johto-based games. Regarding Battle Frontier, the Battle Towers (or similar facilities) and Battle Factories (since they mostly use the same Pokemon pool as the Battle Towers) should be present in all games post-Emerald; they have no need to vanish unless one's trying to worsen the amount of post-game available.

But yeah, I think Secret Bases were a unique feature of Ruby/Sapphire, so it's sensible for them to return as a feature again.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • If you Mixed Records with someone else who owned the game, their secret base would show up in your game, and you could visit that base locally.

I didn't know that. I guess that's the trouble of not having people to mix records with :p
    bobandbill said:
    secret bases.... + streetpass.

Or secret bases, with people on your 3ds friend list.

yes please

I want this to be a thing. I imagine Streetpass would take the place of 'mixing records' anyway, unless that term is brought back to disguise the fact it's just Streetpass. It seems the easiest way to do so.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    So... what you're saying is, it came, and then disappeared? :p

No I'm not. They didn't come and then disappeared. That would insinuate that they were slowly edited out without any changes being made over the course of time. The info was removed. The features were never meant to exist outside of the games they currently reside it. You can keep trying to twist my words around to try and make yourself look better all you want.

The Battle Frontier specifically was an exclusive to the secondary games and was completely removed for something else. It didn't come back after being removed. It only exists in the edited version of games, Emerald, Remakes, and Platinum. It did was removed after Gen 4 and was replaced by the PWT. The Tower which existed in every game after Crystal was removed and replaced with two alternatives, the Subway, and the Maison. If anything were to appear in these games it would be the Maison.

And you talk like someone who's done absolutely zero software engineering work, blurting terms out like "code balance" and "data wiping" pretending like you had a single clue as to what you were talking about. :) Please don't be disrespectful of my opinions; after all, they're just that.

So you're saying that you can code a game start to finish, remove part of the code without going through and repairing the parts that were taken out without any bugs right? Seems like that's what your saying since its the opposite of what I said and according to you I don't know what I'm talking about right?

I don't have a lot of experience in it, but I have worked on games, I assist a member with coding on our RP site to test out possible bugs and to try and break his codes where he wants me to to make sure there aren't any hiccups when he adds them to our site. You cannot take data out of a game, programming data and not have to do some level of work to make sure nothing in the game doesn't break. If you make a big enough mistake while trying to test programming and its a fatal error you can, and most likely will lose all of the data you had been working on up to that point. It gets wiped completely clean. It has happened to me when I took classes.

No single part of what you said makes any sense whatsoever in the context of developing a game. Once again, it's a balance of features, and Pokémon is a franchise that is experimented on a lot, and this involves removing and occasionally bringing features back. I don't see any argument whatsoever that would support the idea of Secret Bases not being in the game.

It really has nothing to do with the balance of features. They can make a game with a ton of new features and barely any old features. Which, they have done many times through the history of the Pokemon franchise.

Dive mechanic adds no real balance since you want to throw words around like you know what you're talking about. Contest add no balance. Secret Bases add no balance. What balance do these bring? What balance did Rotation and Triple battles bring? What needed balancing to warrant their existance? What about Inverse and Sky Battles? Horde Battles? Why were they needed? How did they bring balance? They were just new ideas that the development team wanted to try out. Nothing more nothing less. They tend to throw a couple of new ideas in when they think they are good enough. If they aren't popular enough they alter them, Contests -> Super Contests. Or get rid of them.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    No I'm not. They didn't come and then disappeared. That would insinuate that they were slowly edited out without any changes being made over the course of time. The info was removed. The features were never meant to exist outside of the games they currently reside it. You can keep trying to twist my words around to try and make yourself look better all you want.

The Battle Frontier specifically was an exclusive to the secondary games and was completely removed for something else. It didn't come back after being removed. It only exists in the edited version of games, Emerald, Remakes, and Platinum. It did was removed after Gen 4 and was replaced by the PWT. The Tower which existed in every game after Crystal was removed and replaced with two alternatives, the Subway, and the Maison. If anything were to appear in these games it would be the Maison.

Your original argument was the fact that Game Freak did not remove features without there being a very serious issue and intent of not bringing them back ever again. Now you're backtracking and saying that in the case of the Battle Frontier, it's not longer in current-generation games as they were "never meant to exist outside of the games they currently reside it." So who's to say that doesn't apply to Secret Bases as well? This was my point all along. Just because Secret Bases aren't around at the moment doesn't mean we won't be seeing them again. And I'm absolutely positive we will.

And for the record, and the interest of not trying to make false claims in English—the word "disappearing" does not insinuate a "slow edit without any changes being made over the course of time." Whatever that means, really.

So you're saying that you can code a game start to finish, remove part of the code without going through and repairing the parts that were taken out without any bugs right? Seems like that's what your saying since its the opposite of what I said and according to you I don't know what I'm talking about right?

I don't have a lot of experience in it, but I have worked on games, I assist a member with coding on our RP site to test out possible bugs and to try and break his codes where he wants me to to make sure there aren't any hiccups when he adds them to our site. You cannot take data out of a game, programming data and not have to do some level of work to make sure nothing in the game doesn't break. If you make a big enough mistake while trying to test programming and its a fatal error you can, and most likely will lose all of the data you had been working on up to that point. It gets wiped completely clean. It has happened to me when I took classes.

The very wrong assumption you're making here is you're thinking that the creation of Gen IV had anything to do with the codebase of Gen III. That's simply not how it's done. They never had to remove Secret Bases from Diamond/Pearl because they were never in there in the first place. The data was never there to begin with. Pokémon games are not built and shipped out of a single source project. Removing a feature is not analogous to designing a new game without that feature in mind to begin with. In the case of secret bases not being in subsequent generations, we're dealing with the latter.

It really has nothing to do with the balance of features. They can make a game with a ton of new features and barely any old features. Which, they have done many times through the history of the Pokemon franchise.

Dive mechanic adds no real balance since you want to throw words around like you know what you're talking about. Contest add no balance. Secret Bases add no balance. What balance do these bring? What balance did Rotation and Triple battles bring? What needed balancing to warrant their existance? What about Inverse and Sky Battles? Horde Battles? Why were they needed? How did they bring balance? They were just new ideas that the development team wanted to try out. Nothing more nothing less. They tend to throw a couple of new ideas in when they think they are good enough. If they aren't popular enough they alter them, Contests -> Super Contests. Or get rid of them.

It absolutely has to do with a balance of features. A very large proportion of Pokémon players look beyond just 1-on-1 battling in their games. It's a very delicate balance of what people find engaging and entertaining beyond the core game. I absolutely think Contests and Secret Bases brought "balance" in the sense that they added an extra level of personality to the world upon which these games were set. And once again, popularity might not have anything to do with it; Game Freak seems to enjoy experimenting with what comes across as a balanced set of features. Contests, Poké blocks, Poffins, Super Contests, just like you said. It's a constant evolution to see what fits a generation best. And those tend to really identify the generation at hand. And once again, I think Secret Bases really do identify Gen III.

Nurse Joy

Would you like to rest your Pokémon?
    Years
  • I think that would be awesome!

I think they should also add more items and stuff, as well as allowing other trainers such as gym leaders and your rival to hang out there like they did for the villa in Pokemon Platinum. And maybe you could re-battle those trainers there, with stronger Pokemon!! But only after the League.

It would be cool if they also made it sort of like the Underground, where you could play with other players and they could run around in your base.

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
    Years
  • See here's the thing. Game Freak has taken out things and put them back in before. Like for instance in gold silver and crystal they had apricorns. In gen three and four they took them out until HeartGold and SoulSilver. Then they brought them back for those games and then took them out again from gen 5 on. so it is entirely possible that they might put secret bases back into these games and then take them out again. It all depends on what gamefreak wants to do and what they think the fans might want. If they think its worth the time they'll do it.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I think that would be awesome!

I think they should also add more items and stuff, as well as allowing other trainers such as gym leaders and your rival to hang out there like they did for the villa in Pokemon Platinum. And maybe you could re-battle those trainers there, with stronger Pokemon!! But only after the League.

It would be cool if they also made it sort of like the Underground, where you could play with other players and they could run around in your base.

DUDE YES. Set up a sweet pad and have people wander by there. Maybe have the people show up there depending on where your base is in the region? Maybe have random NPC trainers stop by all like "Imma tell everyone where your base is if you can't beat me" or "I'm going to kick you out of this space if you lose" lmao and you'd totally just get thrown out the door and all your stuff packed up if you did lose.

Nurse Joy

Years
  • DUDE YES. Set up a sweet pad and have people wander by there. Maybe have the people show up there depending on where your base is in the region? Maybe have random NPC trainers stop by all like "Imma tell everyone where your base is if you can't beat me" or "I'm going to kick you out of this space if you lose" lmao and you'd totally just get thrown out the door and all your stuff packed up if you did lose.

YES! There's that little kid in Mossdeep who finds people's bases! Maybe you have to tip him to spread the word or beat him in a battle or something! OOOOOH Maybe Gym Leaders have Secret Bases and this kid can tell you where! OMG

That would be awesome! It'd be just like real life! If you lose in a battle with your landlord, you get kicked out of your base! XD It could be like a turf war and you have to beat all the trainers and gain access to all the bases in Hoenn......

That probably won't happen, but it's fun to think about XD

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • YES! There's that little kid in Mossdeep who finds people's bases! Maybe you have to tip him to spread the word or beat him in a battle or something! OOOOOH Maybe Gym Leaders have Secret Bases and this kid can tell you where! OMG

That would be awesome! It'd be just like real life! If you lose in a battle with your landlord, you get kicked out of your base! XD It could be like a turf war and you have to beat all the trainers and gain access to all the bases in Hoenn......

That probably won't happen, but it's fun to think about XD
    Yes yes he finds your base and you beat him but then he's like "You're super strong! Give me $500 and I'll go tell [insert Gym Leader] to meet you here." and you have your lil runner and you can go to him and choose the leader you want to battle and give him money to tip them off holy man that would be so cute

And that would be a hilarious side story oh my god. IMAGINE IF IT TIED INTO THE AQUA/MAGMA STUFF. AND YOU COULD GET THEIR HIDEOUTS. ahahahaha and you could form a gang by beating NPCs in your base and leave them in different bases to hold down the fort and they'd call you if others were trying to move in and there would be double and triple battles up the wazoo
    holy man
    that would be ridiculous and fun
    never gonna happen

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • Yes yes he finds your base and you beat him but then he's like "You're super strong! Give me $500 and I'll go tell [insert Gym Leader] to meet you here." and you have your lil runner and you can go to him and choose the leader you want to battle and give him money to tip them off holy man that would be so cute

And that would be a hilarious side story oh my god. IMAGINE IF IT TIED INTO THE AQUA/MAGMA STUFF. AND YOU COULD GET THEIR HIDEOUTS. ahahahaha and you could form a gang by beating NPCs in your base and leave them in different bases to hold down the fort and they'd call you if others were trying to move in and there would be double and triple battles up the wazoo
    holy man
    never gonna happen

That'd be really fun and immersive and engaging, meaning it will never happen. :( I feel like the complicated wishes never come true. Though, I can see important NPCs perhaps being set to appear in certain Hidden Bases if you've got yours set up there. Like the route that has the one in the mountain on your way to THAT ONE CITY WITH THE ASH PATH BEFORE IT?? say Roxanne, Flannery, and Winona would be programmed to appear there on certain days, and on other days, Brawly and the Champion would appear there while the first three leaders appeared in the tree base on the same route IF you were set up there

etc etc, but that's complicated too lol

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • That'd be really fun and immersive and engaging, meaning it will never happen. :( I feel like the complicated wishes never come true. Though, I can see important NPCs perhaps being set to appear in certain Hidden Bases if you've got yours set up there. Like the route that has the one in the mountain on your way to THAT ONE CITY WITH THE ASH PATH BEFORE IT?? say Roxanne, Flannery, and Winona would be programmed to appear there on certain days, and on other days, Brawly and the Champion would appear there while the first three leaders appeared in the tree base on the same route IF you were set up there

etc etc, but that's complicated too lol
    See that's the plausible thing with workable mechanics and that's the kind of thing I'd really like to see secret bases being utelized for. BUT I LIKE GRAND IMAGINATIVE THINGS TOO and I know it's not going to happen but it would be SO FUN. <3 I feel like Pokémon always could use more side-stories and things to do and man I just want them to take ridiculous ideas and run with them but they won't. :(

Nurse Joy

Years
  • Yes yes he finds your base and you beat him but then he's like "You're super strong! Give me $500 and I'll go tell [insert Gym Leader] to meet you here." and you have your lil runner and you can go to him and choose the leader you want to battle and give him money to tip them off holy man that would be so cute

holy man
    never gonna happen

OMG! You could FINALLY be on the bad guys' side!!! That is like Pokemon Conquest 8O (Or Nobunaga's Ambition, actually)! And they could call you on the PokeNav! And they could make it possible to have three NPCs battle at once, or you and two other NPCs!!! OMG, I can totally see this whole thing happening, even though it won't!! XD At least there would be more to do after the league, unlike X & Y! And there would be a fun minigame/side quest, though it'd be difficult to do without Fly.

OH. MY. GOSH. What if.

What if you could have and UNDERWATER BASE!?!?!?!??!??!?!?

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Underwater caaaaves ahhh that'd be cute <33 With seaweed floating at the entrance and the occasional Magikarp that gets stuck in your doorway lmao that's be so dumb and so cute. ACTUALLY what if making a secret base gave you like a ~~% chance of finding a Pokémon that would naturally live there? Like headbutting trees or smashing rocks does. Or you just had Pokémon that wander in sometimes oh man. So many ideas, so unlikely to actually happen. :P

Years
  • Secret bases are one of the things I really want to see return in these new games, and I see no good reason why they can't! I will be quite disappointed if they don't return. I'll still be super excited about the game, but I really think they should give us back our secret bases! >__< I always enjoyed moving from place to place and redecorating. x3

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2014
    They'd have to bring back and revamp Secret Bases! Possibilities are truly endless, new customizations, maybe even being able to adjust the size of your Secret Base as the game progresses until you have something like a Secret Mansion. :P Something else that would be cool is if you were able to place Pokemon in your secret base and them roam & breed together.

Years
  • Secret bases were one of my favorite features in Hoenn. I've heard about StreetPass being integrated with this as well, I'm really hoping it's the case.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • I am so, sooo excited for REAL Secret Bases and REAL Contests again!

I want side-quest Pokedolls, lengthy post-game doll rewards, Streetpass/Spotpass Record Mixing, the limit on items removed or increased dramatically, unique base shapes for each spot, the ability to change the direction items are facing (if the decorations are 3D models, not hard!), and more fun step-over/interact-able decorations.

I want to be able to choose what camera angle visitors use when they enter my base, perhaps leave a Pokemon there to take care of it/showcase.

I want NPCs to have bases too, perhaps Gym Leader rematches can happen in there?

Oh my goodness, I'm so excited!

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    Secret base hunts? Maybe even link through bases to trade special decor? That would be good. Simply because this added with contests would take the heat off Pokémon Battles, and people would actually start appreciating spinoff things. It would surely end up popularising any new features to come.

Back