• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Do you think it is real or fake?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
  • Starting roster (from japanese eShop)
    Spoiler:

In comparison, full roster:
    Spoiler:

Leaving:
    -Bowser Jr
    -Wario
    -Game&Watch
    -Ganondorf
    -ROB
    -Ness
    -Jigglypuff
    -Duck Hunt
    -Falco
    -Doctor Mario
    -Lucina
    -Dark Pit

As unlockables. 12 characters.

Woooow Wario being unlockable is SUPER lame.
    Darn so Lucina is an unlockable character. I had hoped she'll be playable to begin with.

Seems I was right about Dark Pit being a playable character if this list is indeed correct.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I'm wondering how Bowser Jr. will sound like. They gave Bowser, DK, and Diddy realistic animal noises, but there's no existing source for baby dragon noises for Bowser Jr., but then again, Kamek kept his cartoonish voice in the Mushroom Kingdom U stage.

Supposedly, this is a leaked image, but:

Ganondorf is in, maybe? o: Or is it fake?
    This is the second time Ganon's been leaked (the first time being the leaked Shulk video from Monday).

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
    Years
  • I want more animal-based characters...

While I agree (more to the extent that I generally would like more non-humans, I don't care if it's an animate toaster), most characters are gonna be human considering that all creative types are, in fact, human. Unless there's some other sapient species out there we don't know about. Maybe robots, someday. Then we'll have a cast full of Mega Man reps, provided he's still alive by that point.

Anecdotally, it's weird that I forget the Star Fox cast exists just about every day. I can see a picture of Fox and Falco in Smash and then forget they were there 5 minutes later. I dunno, they don't really stand out to me.

All in all, though, I feel people (myself included) tend to forget that we do have quite a lot of strange beings in the game, and you'd be hard pressed to find another fighting game (or action based... whatever it was Sakurai called it) who's total amount of "other" characters reaches half of what Smash Bros has had over the years.

Except maybe ClayFighter. And Sonic the Fighters. And definitely Pokken when that's finalized. Heck, nothing will ever trump Pokken if the roster is large enough.

Back to the land of Smash, though, so uh, that All Star Mode PotD. More characters than the leak showed confirmed, or...? If it means Ice Climbers have a shot, then I'll keep the hope alive. Smash just feels barren without them for some reason. Also, I kind of want Ivysaur back. Or some other quadruped, that was unique.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
    Years
  • Back to the land of Smash, though, so uh, that All Star Mode PotD. More characters than the leak showed confirmed, or...? If it means Ice Climbers have a shot, then I'll keep the hope alive. Smash just feels barren without them for some reason. Also, I kind of want Ivysaur back. Or some other quadruped, that was unique.

Yep, the leaked roster isn't the complete roster, since All-Star mode was locked in that leaked picture as well. This leaves room for more speculation on who fills the remaining spots. Because of that other rumored list of remaining characters whose details after the list ended up being 100% accurate, I think the remaining ones are most likely Mewtwo, Ridley, Dixie Kong, and Chorus Men. I'll stand by this until that list is confirmed fake. xD

Years
  • ^ In addition to that, Nintendo seems to be going DLC crazy in a good way.

Mario Kart 8 and Mario Golf extensive DLC seems to be indicative of what to sort of DLC downloads will be incorporated into the SSB4 series. It almost gives Nintendo a chance to be like, wait, wait, what if we tried this and this, since purchasers are saying this and this, we can earn more sales, encourage post-release hype, and hook more players into the series and other Nintendo franchises.

I can't be certain, but the expansion packs for Mario Kart 8 may have been a reactionary measure to a) Fan outcry for "Smash Bros-like" roster b) High sales of both the game and Wii Consoles in response to this game and SSB4 hype in this Summer.

I expect more expansion pack style DLC for MK8 and nearly all Nintendo staples.

Also, there is talk that Nintendo is becoming very distant, as 3rd party staples like CoD and Madden take business elsewhere. Well, for now at least, Nintendo is capitalizing on their own strong 1st and 2nd party series and thriving from fewer consumers, yet consumers that are willing to shell out more money for substantive expansion-style DLC.

I honestly wouldn't have it any other way and wished Nintendo started this trend earlier! (Trying to imagine Pokemon mainseries expansion DLC!!!)

Years
  • ^ In addition to that, Nintendo seems to be going DLC crazy in a good way.

Mario Kart 8 and Mario Golf extensive DLC seems to be indicative of what to sort of DLC downloads will be incorporated into the SSB4 series. It almost gives Nintendo a chance to be like, wait, wait, what if we tried this and this, since purchasers are saying this and this, we can earn more sales, encourage post-release hype, and hook more players into the series and other Nintendo franchises.

I can't be certain, but the expansion packs for Mario Kart 8 may have been a reactionary measure to a) Fan outcry for "Smash Bros-like" roster b) High sales of both the game and Wii Consoles in response to this game and SSB4 hype in this Summer.

I expect more expansion pack style DLC for MK8 and nearly all Nintendo staples.

Also, there is talk that Nintendo is becoming very distant, as 3rd party staples like CoD and Madden take business elsewhere. Well, for now at least, Nintendo is capitalizing on their own strong 1st and 2nd party series and thriving from fewer consumers, yet consumers that are willing to shell out more money for substantive expansion-style DLC.

I honestly wouldn't have it any other way and wished Nintendo started this trend earlier! (Trying to imagine Pokemon mainseries expansion DLC!!!)

Well, you could classify Pokebank as a mini-DLC, because you still have to pay to obtain some sort of feature.

My only worry is if they put in as many paid DLCs in SSB4 as they did in Fire Emblem: Awakening, where you'd have to pretty much buy the equivalent of buying the game again if you wanted all the DLCs (but as long as no one does a re-hash of Civilisation 5 and charge $90 for it, everything is fine). However, the MK8 DLCs seem like the approach Nintendo should take if they do implement DLCs in MK8, but I'm quite sceptical over the legitimacy of the whole DLC rumour anyway.

On another note, which character(s) will you be maining in? I'm probably going to main in Robin and Duck Hunt (if the leak is true).

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I'll main the one and only

My Melee main (Doctor Mario) is back so I'll use him as a secondary, and Bowser Jr looks right up my alley. Shame I lost my second favorite character in the series. (Snake)

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
    Years
  • I'm definitely going to try maining Shulk (who I've wanted in since the beginning) and Greninja, whose moveset was pretty interesting to play. I'll still keep my main main (if that makes sense xD ) Samus in the back though. I kinda want to try Duck Hunt Dog too, and if Mewtwo really is coming back, I'll attempt to main him.

(inb4 Ridley main)

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I'm sticking with my Brawl main, R.O.B., who gladly survived just so I can internally laugh at those who thought he's going to get the boot. I'll definitely try to main Mega Man, Lucina as my Marth replacement, Bowser, and Ridley, once he's officially confirmed.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I can't really pick just a few characters I'll main, but I know for sure I'll main Robin, Lucina, Luigi, and Ike. I know I'll also give Charizard, Greninja, and Peach plenty of play time too. And who knows, maybe I'll come to like someone else.

And what the hell is Kirby Fighters?

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
    Years
  • Re: DLC - Yeah, it seems to be expected, but my roster hopes for Smash are so low that I honestly don't care who else they add (for the record it's always been low. Not because people I would like didn't make it, more like they're too out there to be considered... or that's what I said about Pac-Man, anyway). Cut vets would be nice I guess. I'd rather see broader series representation than characters I'll never play, so give me more stages, music and assist trophies (and for God's sake, Sakurai, stop pulling all Kirby resources solely from the games you directed. I'd be all over a Dark Castle or Iceberg stage like no one's business. Heck I'll even take something from Epic Yarn).

RE: Mains - I liked Lucas but apparently he's gone. I like the quirkiness of Ivysaur, even if I was never really good with it, but now it's gone. Melee screwed Kirby over big time and he's never recovered. Ness, too. I guess that leaves Pikachu? I'm hoping they bring Kirby back to 64 levels of greatness but I just don't see that ever happening again. As for newcomers, I'll try Villager, Mega Man and Pac-Man for sure, Bowser Jr., Duck Hunt, Chorus Kids if true, maybe WFT and maaayyybee Greninja (I like him enough in the source game, but I'm sort of ambivalent here). All the offbeat guys. I'll also see if Kirby and Ness are any better.

RE: Aside on Kirby Fighters - It's a mini game that's included with Kirby: Triple Deluxe. You can now get it standalone as a downloadable title under Kirby Fighters Deluxe. It's not bad, if not a little hollow, but it makes better use of the series history than Smash Bros does (:P... granted it is a pure Kirby title, though they didn't have to add the Mint Leaf as an item, or refer to Castle Lololo by name, music intact, among other things, so major kudos). You can play with friends, but no online unfortunately. Still, if it opens the doors for a fully fledged Kirby Party-fighting game in the future with a sizeable roster of characters from throughout the series and not just who appeared post Nightmare in Dream Land, I'd be so all over it.

Last edited:
    Years
  • People really need to stop calling Dark Pit a clone. If you actually played Uprising, you'd know that he isn't a clone. And Dr. Mario was almost identical to Mario in Melee, true, but they wouldn't have brought him back if they weren't going to change him up...

I just get rubbed the wrong way with a character that look so similar to another. Beyond the fighting mechanics and skills, I also value a diverse appearance of characters. Having two characters that have different fighting styles, but are nearly a palette swap in design is bit of a let down. But, I will have to wait and see before the final judgement.

And and on the question of which will be my main characters I use. Since there are so many, I will list my top ten revealed/likely to be confirmed characters (based off the leak).

1. Palutena
    2. Greninja
    3. Peach (my main since Melee)
    4. Duck Hunt (Not sure how they will play, but that render!!!)
    5. Rosalina
    6. Bowser Jr.
    7. Pikachu
    8. Kirby
    9. Toon Link
    10. Robin

The mii fighter might kick someone off the top ten depending upon the customization options...I am obsessed with the idea, but I fear my expectations will be too high.

Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2014
    I personally think the leak's true, due to Shulk's artwork matching.

Anyway, I intend to main Marth, because I switched to him when Lucario's future was in doubt and now I can't switch back. I'll be having Shulk and Robin as secondaries, though.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Too bad it isn't the new 3DS. I'm actually not too crazy about the design, looks like a sticker got slapped onto the cover lol.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I find it interesting because I didn't know the blue variant of this Special Edition 3DS exists until now, they keep showing me the red one most of the time.

Too bad it isn't the new 3DS. I'm actually not too crazy about the design, looks like a sticker got slapped onto the cover lol.

Oh, Japan will get a Special New 3DS XL on the way, and it looks almost the same as 3DS XL one, except with a shiny Super Smash Bros. emblem instead of the game title.

Last edited:
    Back