• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Teenager Beaten To Death In School Bathroom

Psychic

Really and truly
Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2018
    I don't really believe the claim that "This kind of thing is becoming more frequent." First off, what do you mean by "this kind of thing"? School violence, kids being beaten to death, people standing by and watching instead of intervening (aka the bystander effect)?

This sort of thing has been happening for a long time, but we're just hearing about it more because local news is able to become more global than ever (and not just because of social media). It's unfortunate and should not be happening, but I'm not sure what the solution is - according to the original article about the incident, the school has an anti-bullying campaign every spring, but that goes mostly ignored. A local reverend said "We need to get prayer back in our schools," but that obviously doesn't address the problem. idk.

~Psychic

Early

☆ My, how the Earth does move... ☆
    Years
  • The whole story is pretty awful... I can't say I'm surprised to hear that there were students just watching and filming the attack rather than trying to help; recording fights and texting the videos to friends is common at my own school, though I can't tell if this case was just the bystander effect, or if the people watching weren't expecting the bullies to actually kill the victim.

Sorry it was a bit vague, but I was referring to the fact that no one attempted to intervene. Numbness to violence seems to be a recurring theme nowadays. I don't understand why anyone would want to record it on their phone instead of trying to help?
    Sadly, you might be surprised. :c This type of reaction to violence has been depressingly common for ages; check under the "Real Life" tab on this page and you'll find that a lot of the examples underneath are extremely similar to what happened to the girl in this article. If any of the kids had tried to help her, I actually would have been shocked. And if violence is really common at their school to begin with, it could also have been that they were just desensitized to seeing someone being bullied and didn't feel like helping.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Sorry it was a bit vague, but I was referring to the fact that no one attempted to intervene. Numbness to violence seems to be a recurring theme nowadays. I don't understand why anyone would want to record it on their phone instead of trying to help?

It's anyone's guess. All I can say for certain is that many people in that area don't seem to be as loyal as they should. This incident could have been prevented if they followed though with their policies better, yet the members chose to mostly ignore them. If we're lucky, this incident will be a wake-up call for those individuals.

It's unfortunate and should not be happening, but I'm not sure what the solution is - according to the original article about the incident, the school has an anti-bullying campaign every spring, but that goes mostly ignored. A local reverend said "We need to get prayer back in our schools," but that obviously doesn't address the problem. idk.

Regardless, the solution is theirs to make. You claim that prayer will not address the problem. The truth is, nothing will- not until the school (and possibly, church) rightly respect the anti-bullying campaign, and whatever other important rules are in that establishment.

Last edited:

Fannie

Don't let my milk go lumpy
    Years
    • Age 32
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 31, 2016
    People probably don't help in these situations for fear they will recieve similar treatment.

Years
  • I don't know how it is at other schools, but at my high school anyone who was involved in a fight, whether they started it or not, even if they were trying to break up the fight, was considered a participant and equally guilty and responsible for the fight. Kinda crazy, right? But it meant that even bystanders were worried about getting too close, and nobody ever tried to stop something.

Crizzle

Legend
    Years
  • Now thats savage. Hopefully, all the girls involved go to prison for the rest fo their lives.

Pebbles

BE YOUR OWN HERO
    Years
  • People probably don't help in these situations for fear they will recieve similar treatment.
    true but do you not think that is pathetic and sad?
    because what if YOU were the one getting beaten up badly like that and hit your head on the sink and you bleeding like a fak probably cause of it
    would you not want somebody to step in and help you somehow someway? but of course, especially before that could even happen....

i swear to the dear lord, if i would of been there
    i would of tried my hardest to stop it as soon as i saw it happening
    by either getting a teacher or somebody else with authority to come in and help her and stop the fight
    or try and stop it myself , search for a big object that i could use as a weapon and then threaten the girls with it so the fight would hopefully stop

i mean , you gotta do something
    if there is no teacher around, what are you suppose to do? call the cops?
    im not sure if you allowed to call them for a school fight just like that in america
    i know i could call the cops easily if it happens in my country, if nobody else is helping her and only recording the damn fight

BUT i easily step in myself without any weapon when things like this happen IF ONLY i had super strenght lol.... i wouldn't be able to win a fight if its more than 1 girl coming at me probably.... so i get the fear of people not wanting to interfere but still
    you are not suppose to let this happen, it is pathetic if you do nothing and just stand there and watch​

Now thats savage. Hopefully, all the girls involved go to prison for the rest fo their lives.
    well the fact the girl died was probably a freakingly terrible accident
    they probably did not mean for her to hit her head like that and then bleed to death
    so i am not sure if prison forever is right.... because a regular girl fight over a boy.... does that really deserve prison forever?
    i would say, give them prison time for like a year or two
    ...but if they did plan on killing her.... then obviously, YES
    they should let those girls rot in prison forever in my opinion

Electricbluewolf

Bᴇ pıɟɟǝɹǝuʇ
    Years
  • well the fact the girl died was probably a freakingly terrible accident
    they probably did not mean for her to hit her head like that and then bleed to death
    so i am not sure if prison forever is right.... because a regular girl fight over a boy.... does that really deserve prison forever?
    i would say, give them prison time for like a year or two
    ...but if they did plan on killing her.... then obviously, YES
    they should let those girls rot in prison forever in my opinion

She didn't die in an "accident" if they were beating her up. even if she hadn't hit her head, what if she had organ failure? You wouldn't class that as an accident.

As many people have mentioned before I would say crowds not intervening is increasing, because as a species we don't want to be the only one. It goes against our instincts to be a pack, and if you're the only one with that thought or with that decision it can be very hard to speak out against it.
    I would say it also depends on what sort of person you are: for example my brother is completely different to me, as in socially, he would never speak up if someone was being hit or if he had to go against the crowd.
    Were as I make everything my business that needs to be

Pebbles

BE YOUR OWN HERO
    Years
  • She didn't die in an "accident" if they were beating her up. even if she hadn't hit her head, what if she had organ failure? You wouldn't class that as an accident.

oh i get what you are saying and i agree
    i just meant it more in a way of; they probably didn't start the fight with the intention of ''oh lets go and kill that bitch'' you know
    that is why i referred to it as an terrible accident​

Years
  • Since they're young I think it's fair to be lenient with any punishment. I don't think no punishment is fair because they still made a bad decision and that should have consequences, but I don't think it should be something they have to pay for the rest of their lives.

Years
  • I think the bigger issue is how to stop events like this happening in the first place. These types of occurrences are becoming more common, and we need to figure out why in order to put a stop to it. It seems like these days more and more people are relying on their fists to settle disputes rather than their words, especially with young people. A lot of that comes down to bad parenting. Parents are responsible for raising their children and teaching them how to act and settle disputes, but far too often these lessons are missed. I see it quite often at work where 2 young children start fighting in the pool over something and the parents are either not paying attention or just let it happen. It's only after I (as the lifeguard) step in to stop the fight that the parents suddenly act and get their kids under control. I shouldn't have to do that, that's the parents responsibility.

The other problem is the prevalence of Martial Arts. Now, don't get me wrong, Martial Arts can be great for instilling discipline and respect in young people while conditioning their bodies and learning self defense. However, far too many schools focus entirely on the fighting aspect and forget to teach the students why they should fight, and more importantly, when NOT to fight. Anyone studying a Martial Art needs to learn restraint, otherwise they can and will kill someone. Unfortunately this lesson is missed in lieu of the individual moves and the adrenaline rush people get when executing them. That's why modern fights have a referee in the ring because it's all too easy to lose yourself in the moment and do one hit too many, resulting in seriously injuring or even killing your opponent.

Years
  • I don't think this tells us anything we don't already know. People often bystanders to a fight, whether they have phones or not. I remember when I was growing up, people huddled around girl-on-girl fights just like they did in this scenario - only that they didn't have phones because the average middle schooler didn't have phones back in the day. It might seem callous that people are recording instead of using their phones to call for help, but I conjecture that if most of the kids I went to school with had phones, they'd be recording as well.

Fights usually don't result in any life-threatening injuries, but in this case the victim's head hit the sink. I hope that everybody involved and everybody with knowledge about the incident have a greater appreciation for the frailty of the human body and is more mindful of their fellow persons for it.

Back