• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

That Move is Fighting Type??

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • What Pokémon moves do you feel don't make sense being the type they are? I've never understood why Mist is Ice type... Mist is formed from water droplets in the air. It would fit better as a Water-type move.

Years
  • Eerie Impulse (or Strange Wave in Japanese) sounds like a Ghost, Dark, or maybe Psychic type move, but is actually Electric for some reason. All it does is lower special attack in the games, so other than the way its attack animation is presented, it could easily fit one of those three other types, and just be learnable by Electric type Pokemon.

Years
  • Mega Kick for some reason is a Normal-type move when it should be Fighting.
    Rock Climb you'd think would be a Rock-type move based on the name alone, but it isn't. It's strangely a Normal-type move.
    Also for whatever reason, Mind Blown is a Fire-type move and not a Psychic one?? Unless it's like a pun of some sort.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Throat Chop should be a Fighting type move, tbh. I know a throat strike is illegal in organized fighting and thus a Dark typing isn't coming from left field, but still. Same with Dual Chop. Dragon? Really?

Also Floral Healing / Flower Shield should really be Grass.

Years
  • Razor Wind keeps tripping me up because it's a Normal-type move when by name alone it sounds like it should be a Flying-type move.

Also, is there something special about Twister that makes it a Dragon-type move as opposed to a Flying one?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Razor Wind keeps tripping me up because it's a Normal-type move when by name alone it sounds like it should be a Flying-type move.

Also, is there something special about Twister that makes it a Dragon-type move as opposed to a Flying one?

While I agree, I found this on Bulbapedia regarding why Twister is a Dragon-type attack:

The Japanese name of Twister, たつまき (竜巻) Tatsumaki, literally means "dragon spiral", and refers to the belief that dragons spiral around themselves to form the shapes of twisters.

Years
  • While I agree, I found this on Bulbapedia regarding why Twister is a Dragon-type attack:

Ah, that makes sense. It was a bit confusing for me since Hurricane is a Flying-type move and Tornadoes/Twisters can also result from storms which would also make them Flying, but it makes sense that there's more of a Japanese lore behind it.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Clamp is another weird one for me, I understand that it's usually associated with shells of underwater poke on, but there's precious else that has to do with water about the move

Years
  • Also: is there something about the move Lick that makes it unique to Ghosts? Can't like.. any other Pokemon Lick and paralyze others by doing it idk

Years
  • Bite and/or crunch... I just don't understand the dark part :/ you would think it would be just normal typing (Side note, totally glad crunch is dark...works well with some pokemon competitively)

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Agility somehow being Psychic. Nuff said.

Bite and/or crunch... I just don't understand the dark part :/ you would think it would be just normal typing (Side note, totally glad crunch is dark...works well with some pokemon competitively)

Maybe because the inside of a mouth is dark, or biting others is considered evil somehow?

Sorvete

Novice
    Years
  • Wasn't Bite a Normal-type move in previous generations? They changed it to dark for some reason. Probably to give the new Dark-type in Gen II some moves.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Something I never really understood: Is there a reason specifically that Heavy Slam is Steel-type in particular? Is there anything.... that screams Steel about the move?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I kind of figured, since Steel is kind of naturally heavy, but I thought there was a bit more to it than that. :o

Many pokemon that learn it are steel and maybe because in japanese its called "heavy bomber" and the ah.. heavier bombs are often made out of steel exterior?

That'd be my guess anyways.

Back