• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

That Was Onix-pected

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2021
    Team Rocket stealing Pikachu

Ash winning some battles in which he would clearly lose.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Arriving in Style. Ash's entry. I just. What.

That Was Onix-pected

BasedNate

ImDaBes
    Years
  • When Ash is actually smart in his battles. IIRC, Battle Frontier was when he was at his best. Why couldn't he be like he was back in the Battle Frontier? It's like in every new season, he downgrades himself tremendously as if he doesn't want to embarrass his opponents even though we've seen he actually got the skills to be a great trainer.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
  • @Aquacorde I hope he didn't expect to win haha
    @BasedNate that seems to be less unexpected as the series goes on. BW was an exception but he seems to have improved himself during DP and XY.

As for my unexpected moment, it was when Dawn's Ambipom (Ash's Aipom from AG) left Dawn in order to pursue a spontaneous dream of being great at Pokémon ping pong. Like what? This spawned from one episode that should have been a filler :(

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
    Years
  • Most of mine have already been mentioned...
    -Brock leaving the group to be with yet another woman he had just met
    -Charizard being left behind to "train"
    -Ash taking out Whitney's Nidorina and Clefairy like they were Magikarp
    -Dr. Namba surviving the explosion of his base in the Whirl Islands (it defied all logic for me)
    -The entire episode Just Waiting On a Friend (quite possibly my favorite episode)
    -Misty's Togepi evolving and leaving the group
    -Pikachu learning Volt Tackle
    -Ash being resourceful enough to beat Fantina with a pre-planned strategy
    -Dawn's Ambipom leaving abruptly with something that had no buildup
    -Hunter J's death
    -A trainer using hacked ubers in the Sinnoh League
    -Ash losing to bleeping CAMERON at the Unova League (like what? The idiot only brought five Pokemon and Ash still lost to him!)

Those are all that come to mind of what I've seen.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Yeah, they're father and son in the games too! :D I really like that tbh. Gives a sense of depth to characters when they have family and interactions with them.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
  • That's so cool :D
    Johanna mentioned that she was good friends with Barry's dad earlier during the episode and I'm like "I wonder who Barry's dad is?". Fun fact: it's Palmer.

Years
  • Like some others said, my most unexpected moment was Dawn's Ambipom leaving the series to pursue Pokemon Ping Pong. There was like, not even a single hint leading up to her departure episode (To Thine Own Pokemon Be True!) making it even more unexpected.

In fact, I was hoping Ambipom would have stayed for the rest of the Sinnoh series but I guess it was a trick done by writers to give Dawn Quilava and Togekiss.

Years
  • - James giving up his Cacnea- that was totally unexpected for me!
    - Misty letting go her togepi that evolved- I didn't see the evolution coming and I didn't see her letting her togetic go either :o
    - May evolving her eevee - that was kinda unexpected- But it was still cool to see one of the main characters getting an eeveelution ^^
    - Lucario "dying" in the movie Lucario and the mystery of mew - that one was just a "shocking" and unexpected moment for me.

Kalos ones:

Spoiler:

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Spoiler:

Haha, this is the most recent one for me. I had to skip back and watch that scene again because it was so unexpected and happened so quickly, I wasn't sure if what I thought I saw actually happened! XD

Years
  • I'm probably the lame one out here but Ash catching Gible was ridiculous and really unexpected. He was almost at the league by then and hardly ended up using the thing.. still a bit surprised to know it actually happened.

Also, Gary going the researcher route. He had a lot of potential as a trainer so I never thought he'd end up following his grandfather's footsteps. Though no complaints here, he makes a really good professor too, just took me time to get used to it. ;P

Tlachtli

Crit happens.
    Years
  • The first one that comes to my mind was just a split-second shot during the Advanced series:
    Spoiler:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • WNHAT??? WHEN DID TOGEPI EVOLVE WHAT IS TBIS MADNESS???

I honestly never knew that happened, great, another episode to add to the queue of watch along eps.

I think James' ability to catch Pokemon without actually battling them always amazes me, but I suppose at this point it's something we've come to expect. I remember back in the day, Butterfree leaving was one of the most surprising moments for me. It was one of the few times as a child that the show actually made me sad.

Back