• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"The Best Defense is a Good Offense" [Steel-Type Fan Club]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I have to agree with above and say Golurk. It's basically a giant ghost robot that even has built-in jets to fly with; what on earth screams 'Ground-type' about that? It was a mistake not making him Ghost/Steel and he would've been a much more impressive threat if he was, but unfortunately nothing can be done about it now. I'd also want to see Weavile as Steel/Ice, but that's just because a Steel/Ice dual-type sounds incredibly cool and I hate Dark-types, plus his razor sharp claws are surely deserving.

I wonder though, could most Pokémon be adapted to fit the Steel-type? All you need to do is throw on a metal coat and it's done haha. Steel Grimer anyone?

I8qXCml.png

Years
New topic, though this one will make you think a little bit.

You're now an employee of Game freak (Okay, not really). If you were to make a new Steel-type move, what would it be? You can be brief or as detailed as you can get.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
If you were to make a new Steel-type move, what would it be?

In a double or triple battle, a move turns all your active Pokemon into the Steel-type by equipping temporary armor. STAB stays the same for your Pokemon, just the new Steel type weaknesses and resistances apply. I thought of this before I read Ozzy's post about armored Grimer!

Here's to a move called Razor Blade ever being created. It would be a 95 base power, physical attack that launches buzz-saw blades. because who doesn't wanna see me ramble about borderlands

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Here's to a move called Razor Blade ever being created. It would be a 95 base power, physical attack that launches buzz-saw blades. because who doesn't wanna see me ramble about borderlands
"Summon Deathtrap" - 150 power; you get a cute little robot on your side.

If I were to make a new Steel move I'd make one to give them some more attack power, something like... Reforge or Spiked Armour to give them some extra Attack and to give them a spiky coating that inflicts damage upon making physical contact (ie Ferrothorn becomes even more irritating). It strikes me as the perfect boost for Steel-type Pokémon given their ability to take hits and deal some damage, so it'd be the move I'd make. Also it could make them look shiny and cool <3

Years
Some changes have been confirmed regarding Steel-types, such as removing resistance to dark and ghost types, and adding resistance to Fairy. Also, it's now confirmed that Steel-types will be super-effective against fairy.

What do you think about these changes?

Sirfetch’d

I am 50/50 with these changes. I mean, this is bad for Pokemon like Bronzong who relied on these resistances to be such a good Pokemon, but on the flip side it makes Steel Pokemon less dominate overall defensively, and finally gives them more of an offensive presence. So I'd say that these are good changes overall, but now Steels are going to probably see an entirely different use competitively.

Years
I'm kinda surprised by these changes, but I guess they were trying to balance out the Steel-type as well as Dragon I suppose. While Jirachi, Metagross, Bronzong and even Honedge may be troubled by these changes to Steel's resistances, it will at least mean Steel isn't as dominate as far as defensiveness goes. And being strong against Fairy means there might finally now be a reason to use Steel-types more offensively now.

Lycanroc

under the sun
Years
Username/Nickname: GoldenRayquaza / Ray
Partners: Luinaro the Lucario and Rocky the Aggron
What made you join this club?

My first Steel type I ever worked with is my awesome Ferrothorn, who was one of my best Pokémon. I think it's in one of my Black Version boxes right now. Anyway, I got Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and when I unlocked Lucario, he was all I played as. So, well, yeah. I fell in, love with the Riolu/Lucario line. I think it was a little after that that I realized how many resistances they had. I like Pokémon that can take a few hits. Then October rolled around, and I got White 2. I instantly went and caught a Riolu. Now it's one of my two Lucario. About a few months back, I caught a Aggron. That thing's a legend in battle. Let's just keep it there are wrap things up. I love Steel types.
I may be a little off with the timeline, sorry.

What is your favorite Steel-type Pokémon?

Lucario. I love everything about it. The design. The fact that it can take some hits and still sweep the field. I love it. Period.

And, just for fun...

Current Topic:

Metal Rain, a move with 60 base power. After the move is used, metal will fall from the sky for 3 to 5 turns, damaging all the opposing Pokémon. The damage taken depends on the number. What I mean is that a random number from 1 to 6 is generated, and the number determines how much damage the metal rain does.

1: 10 base power
2: 20 base power
3: 30 base power
4: 40 base power
5: 55 base power
6: 70 base power

Just to be clear, a new number is generated each turn, Obviously, the number is not shown.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Metal Rain, a move with 60 base power. After the move is used, metal will fall from the sky for 3 to 5 turns, damaging all the opposing Pokémon. The damage taken depends on the number. What I mean is that a random number from 1 to 6 is generated, and the number determines how much damage the metal rain does.

1: 10 base power
2: 20 base power
3: 30 base power
4: 40 base power
5: 55 base power
6: 70 base power

Just to be clear, a new number is generated each turn, Obviously, the number is not shown.
Welcome to the club! Now this move sounds badass. It seems like the perfect way to give Skarmory a little more offensive power though I fear it'd get a little bit too powerful with a move like this in its arsenal haha. I think it could work better if it hit any non-Steel type Pokémon so it's a bit fairer on the opponent if they switch out to a special attacker and your Skamory switches out to a random Ice-type that resists the metal rain, but I guess the move isn't that powerful... I love the idea regardless haha, did you have any Pokémon in mind for it to be used with?

Lycanroc

under the sun
Years
Welcome to the club! Now this move sounds badass. It seems like the perfect way to give Skarmory a little more offensive power though I fear it'd get a little bit too powerful with a move like this in its arsenal haha. I think it could work better if it hit any non-Steel type Pokémon so it's a bit fairer on the opponent if they switch out to a special attacker and your Skamory switches out to a random Ice-type that resists the metal rain, but I guess the move isn't that powerful... I love the idea regardless haha, did you have any Pokémon in mind for it to be used with?

Didn't really put much thought into that, but Aggron, Metagross, and Ferrothorn would make the most sense. Of course, there would be others.

Years
Welcome to the club, GoldenRayquaza! I've added you to the members list.

New topic will come soon... I'm too tired to think right now.

Years
I'm about to join, but Some steel types are missing:
Mawile
Empoleon

I'll join this group in a little bit, what is the current topic at hand?

Years
^How silly of me to exclude Empoleon from the list, especially having used it in couple of battles... I felt like I was missing something, that must've been it.

New topic: Since all we had was positive discussion, let me just even it out and I'd encourage everybody to be honest on this one: What do you like the least about steel-types?

Sirfetch’d

What do you like the least about steel-types?

Currently? I hate how they aren't appreciated as offensive Pokemon. Yes, they serve mainly as defensive Pokemon but I feel that people undervalue Steel type's offensive presence. For example, there are powerful ones out there like Durant, Excavalier, Genesect, and Metagross. However, you never hear about these Pokemon because they don't serve as "walls" as most Steel types such as Skarm or Bronzong. With X&Y out soon, Steel types are getting the boost they need offensively and hopefully will get the appreciation that they deserve offensively.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years

I always thought it was odd how some could learn special moves like Surf, Ice Beam, Flamethrower, Solarbeam, and so on, but have a nonexistent special stat. I'd rather not see the move on its movepool at all. Silly Surfing Aggron and Ice Beaming Bastiodon.

Years

The fact that there's a severe lack of special attacking Steels, like Blade said. Most usually have tanking roles or even physical attackers. It doesn't even help the fact that we have ones like Aggron and Bastiodon using random special-based attacks they can't even make use of. And also with X/Y and Fairy-types coming, I'm hoping Steel's newfound advantage over Fairy will make them better offensively too.

Years
If it's ok with the club's owner, I want to make a Steel-type team of my own and add it here.

208.png
212.png
227.png
376.png
462.png
476.png

As much as I dislike Heatran I feel like he is a staple on Steel teams with his immunity to Fire attacks.
I like your Scizor :) but use Bullet Punch instead of Metal Claw.
395.gif
227.gif
212.gif
448.gif
485.gif
462.gif

EMPOLEON -[The Steel/Water Eevee Evolution]
Specially Defensive with leftovers.
Scald (for those burns), Ice Beam for some coverage, Stealth Rocks, Rain Dance to reduce fire attacks.

SKARMORY - [The Winged Fortress]
Physically Defensive with Rocky Helmet.
Whirlwind, Spikes, Roost, Bravebird.
With this set up I wish she had intimidate as an ability, but sturdy is good. My real problem with Skarmy is the lack of real attacks beyond Iron Head.

SCIZOR -[The Iron Scyther]
Bulky Attacker with Choice Band.
Bullet Punch, U-turn, Pursuit, Brick Break
Bullet Punch. I like Priority sometimes. U-Turn for momentum. Brick Break over superpower because if it is going to take 2 - 3 hits to kill something I rather not be dropping my attack stat in the process (plus good against random dual screen.)

LUCARIO - [The Steel Fist]
Set Up Sweeper with Life Orb.
SwordsDance, ExtemeSpeed, BulletPunch, CloseCombat / Earthquake
Fast and Powerful. Destroys anything that's not a ghost. Use Swords Dance if he lives ExtremeSpeed, and BulletPunch to victory.

HEATRAN - [De Fuego Iron Works]
Special Attacker on a Balloon.
Fire Blast, Earth Power, Dragon Pulse, HP Grass / Ice
I use Fire Blast over Lava Plume because I'm looking to OHKO if I don't miss

MAGNEZONE - [Fratricide]
Steel Trapper with ChoiceSpecs
Volt Switch, Thunderbolt, Flash Cannon, HP Fire

This is a team I constructed.

I guess I'm joining now:
Nickname: Fading Tree
Partner: [This decision is difficult for me to make. I like half of them, also I'm trying not to pick doubles. Tacobell, Escadrill, Dialga, Honedge, shiny Aron]
Partner: Excadrill [Escallade], Bronzong [Tacobelle]
Why Join?
I am a semi-steel enthusiast. I legitimately caught, and raised every steel type except
Magnezone Empoleon, Arceus, Durant, Genesect.
And I also breed a few steel types in past Generations.

What is your favorite Steel-type Pokémon? I shall not pick 1.
Jirachi

How few generic steel attacks there are: Iron Head. Flash Cannon,
Less Generic: Gyroball
A lot of steel types feel like they have exclusive moves. Though this may be a good thing. (90% of fighting types get close combat.) And Stone Edge this helps our steel types be less generic and more unique.

I cannot see what exclusive stuff Mawile gets.

This was not a double post:
Uh21Jme.gif

ZoKi62w.gif

I made a userbar thingy. Does any steel fans want one of their favorite pokemon?

Last edited:
Years
Welcome to the club, Fading Tree! I'll add you to the members list shortly. And those Steelix userbars look nice.

I guess I'll make a section dedicated to Steel-type teams, can't hurt to do so.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Is it bad that I spent 5 minutes watching that Steelix dance...? Welcome to the club though! Your team is really interesting but I'm ashamed at the lack of Bronzong. </3 Can I ask why you chose it as a partner? I adore the derpy bell myself so I'm glad to see another fan! ♥

My least favourite thing about Steel-types? Hmmm! I think I agree with Blade that they get some really cool quirky moves to use but then they can never pull them off due to having (usually) awful Special Attack stats or vice versa. I mainly just wish tehre were some more diverse Steel-types because the majority seem to be very one-note in what they can do haha. Let's campaign for a Steel-type version of Infernape or Dragonite, they can do anything!

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Is it bad that I spent 5 minutes watching that Steelix dance...?

{XD}

My least favorite thing about Steel-types? I would say the new changes they made to where they no longer resist Ghost and Dark-types (even though I love those types too). Why make Steel weaker? Steel is not supposed to be weakened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back