• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Daily Chit-Chat [2008]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
    I hate when my parents are like "Study well & you can become a doctor" They like plan out our lives

Freak, I'm actually 14 ^^;;

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    I KNOW. Parents make out that study is such a vital thing, I mean seriously how is Religion going to help me in later years when I am an adult? And same with Science. I don't see the point if you don't want anything to do with science when you grow up why do it?

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I KNOW. Parents make out that study is such a vital thing, I mean seriously how is Religion going to help me in later years when I am an adult? And same with Science. I don't see the point if you don't want anything to do with science when you grow up why do it?
    A basic understanding of everything is pretty helpful. They don't teach you things for no reason. Religion is one I would agree with you on, in the sense that it's pretty useless (unless it's world religion!), but most other subjects are important. Math is an obvious one. While you may not often need to use anything but arithmetic, but the theory behind some of the slightly higher level math you end up learning in high school can be useful. At the very least, it keeps you USING that basic arithmetic, which is important EVERYWHERE.

Science is a less obvious subject as far as significance goes, but basic physics (vectors, etc.) is useful even for considering things like which route to take that'll get you there while wasting the the least amount of gas/energy. :P Chemistry... okay, I can't think of having needed to use chemistry at all since I stopped taking it in high school (though it was my favourite XD). Biology, or at least the mandatory part they taught in my high school, seemed important enough. Sure, you may not have to know every little thing you learn in class, but knowing the big things can be really helpful. I dunno about the curriculum there, here, etc. but while I may not remember many things from bio, I still remember what we learned and the basic points of it, and it does come up. :\

And you didn't mention it, but English! D: I refuse to ever take another English class in my life. I hate writing essays, I hate reading books for anything but leisure, and I hate how it is SUCH a biased subject as far as grading goes. But it's quite obviously an important subject. Everyone should be literate, everyone should know how to write proper sentences, tie them into paragraphs, and make those paragraphs flow with each other. And that's what they drill into your head all through school. It also taught critical thinking, how to see things from different view points, etc. So yeah, I'm probably going to work with numbers and computers for the rest of my life. Does that make English useless? No, of course not.

But while a lot of things make you sit there and go "WHY AM I LEARNING THIS AND HOW IS IT HELPING >:O", they... probably are helping a lot and you just don't see it yet. XD

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
    Hey, this thread still exists? =o

I'm not religious myself. I don't believe in there being any type of God or whatever. But I like to study the different religions. It's interesting to see what other people believe in, and it helps to be aware so that you don't offend anyone.

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2012
    Well, the world's different religions have nothing to do what I plan to do as an adult.
    But, I still take the time to learn them because you never know what you might run into in the future. Plus I find it interesting to know about religions other than just Christianity.

Drummershuff

Ultimate Blargification
    Years
    Later on in life you may wish to have a career change and decide that science is the way to go, in which case studying science would be extremely beneficial for your career prospects! It's always useful to have basic understandings of all subjects, as you never really know where you're going to end up.

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
    I agree that having mandatory in depth religion courses is pretty useless, it doesn't hurt to have a basic understanding of the more wide-spread religions. After all, you never know where you're going to end up once you're older; even if you don't believe a certain religion, you might decide to live somewhere where a different religion is prominent, and having knowledge of the basic beliefs of that religion would definitely help you with life there. Not only that, but religions also give you an insight into different cultures and social systems, which would always be helpful in whatever profession you want to major in.

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    I'm a school nerd, so I like learning about things regardless if I'm ever going to use it again or not. Like for example, we have to memorize the "To be or not to be" siloloquey from Hamlet in my english class. And when someone asked "why do we need to do this? >:" our teacher replied "THINK OF HOW COOL YOU'LL LOOK :DDD".

In chemistry, our teacher straight up told us if we're not pursuing science, we may never use stoichiometry in the future, but we do learn these things to help brain function with critical thinking. Almost every thing you go into requires critical thinking/analizing skills. So it is useful!

Yu_&_Rei

♪Its Quiz Time!♪
    Years
    I absolutley LOVE chemistry, I love to mix chemicals not like mad scientist tho, but yes logical thinking is required a lot I learned in my planning class that the left side of your brain is artistic and imaginative while the left is logical. or is it the other way around?

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
    I absolutley LOVE chemistry, I love to mix chemicals not like mad scientist tho, but yes logical thinking is required a lot I learned in my planning class that the left side of your brain is artistic and imaginative while the left is logical. or is it the other way around?
    They say that the right side of the brain is more imaginative and creative, which is why in general it is also sometimes said that talented artists and the like tend to be left handed. (Though isn't that just a matter determined due to genes?)

Years
    They say that the right side of the brain is more imaginative and creative, which is why in general it is also sometimes said that talented artists and the like tend to be left handed. (Though isn't that just a matter determined due to genes?)
    Thats because of tests with scans showing where blood flows more in the brain when thinking in a certain way/ doing certain activities.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023

I'm not sure about all of you, but with my education, you have to do Biology, Chemistry and Physics during your first three years of secondary school. After that, you can drop one or two. I'm definitely not dropping Chemistry. It's one of my favourite subjects. It's also pretty easy compared to its sibling subjects.

I like how this thread bursts to life and then dies every second day.

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
    Years
    I'm not sure about all of you, but with my education, you have to do Biology, Chemistry and Physics during your first three years of secondary school. After that, you can drop one or two. I'm definitely not dropping Chemistry. It's one of my favourite subjects. It's also pretty easy compared to its sibling subjects.

I like how this thread bursts to life and then dies every second day.

Same with my school. Cept..you don't need to take Physics. I did though; now I'm taking AP Biology (which bites). Our school gives many science choices such as Psychology, Hell AP Chemistry, Anatomy, and Marine Biology too :3

Don't visit my profile because it's not awesome because I did not get over 9000 posts and because I'm not advertising it's awesomeness.

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    I shouldn't be telling you guys, so I hope you can all keep a secret, but my weakness is metal bullets D:

Maths can be a pain, but in most cases if you just practice a lot you'll do relatively well, plus it'll definitely increase your confidence, furthering your ability (self-efficacy, yo).

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    I decided against physics this year, although I had the choice to do so. I'm doing chemistry and biology this year, and I'll be continuing those two courses next year, as well. Physics... I never liked it, and I don't really need it where I'll be going after high school, so I decided against it. Besides, with my schedule, I wouldn't have room for it anyway. :x

My Grade Ten's science curriculum merged a bit of chemistry, a bit of physics, a bit of... ecology (wtf...?) and a bit of... weather. The weather unit reminds me of things I learned back in elementary school. :x

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
    Years
    I shouldn't be telling you guys, so I hope you can all keep a secret, but my weakness is metal bullets D:

Maths can be a pain, but in most cases if you just practice a lot you'll do relatively well.

My weakness is a wooden stake through the heart ):
    ...Like most things.

Math is devilspawn D:
    I'M NEVER GOING TO NEED TO GRAPH A COSINE ON A RADIAN SCALE.
    It's so silly ):

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
    Years
    I thought your weakness was Amachite. XD;

My schedule is pretty nuts lately too, unfortunately. Luckily this is my last year of highschool, finally. Work + college + highschool = biiiig workload. I still find time for PC and other stuff though, and I plan on renewing my WoW account soon. XD; Scarily.

How do you go to college and highschool at the same time?

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    My weakness is a wooden stake through the heart ):
    ...Like most things.

Math is devilspawn D:
    I'M NEVER GOING TO NEED TO GRAPH A COSINE ON A RADIAN SCALE.
    It's so silly ):
    What if you're kidnapped one day and you need to graph cosine on a radial scale so that you live a day longer? huh, HUH?

Yeah, what's annoying about maths for a lot of students is that they can't see/won't need the practical application for whatever it is that they're learning, making it a whole lot more difficult for them.

Still, some parts of mathematics are just fun, like trigonometry! ^-^

I thought your weakness was Amachite. XD;
    I was going to say kryptonite actually but that would have been too predictable XD;

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back