• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Daily Chit-Chat [2008]

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I have the exact same problem. I'm way too lazy for my own good. I did have a part-time job in high school but I quit near the end because of exams.

And now for some reason, part-time/casual positions tend to scout out high schoolers more than university students. Quite bothersome really, since I could use the money. :|

Really? I've got about two friends the same age who has got extra jobs besides school (I think you can count me as... upper high school? I'm 18) and others in my age have only tried jobs including selling things via phone... not the nicest job, but rather good pay I've heard.

Most uni friends I've got have jobs though. Though they seem to be very stressed. Studies at university are harder than at high school (or whatever I'm going..), but you need the money more. Tough life indeed :/

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    Oh Hi Lightning how are you?
    Edit:
    She's gone never mind D:
    We all know Erica is fly, but that's no need to go off topic.

I myself was looking for a job a while back during my uni break, but I went to at least 10 places and only got one call back, and that was fruitless anyway. I've been meaning to search again but I keep on forgetting, haha.

At least it's comforting to know that those aged 15-19 are the greatest proportion of those unemployed in Australia. Kinda :(

Oh well, I'm not that torn up about it. I barely study as it is, I'm not sure how work will fit into my busy timetable of doing nothing.

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
    I have an interview for a part-time job next Wednesday, it's nothing special, just gonna be working in of one of a nationwide shop's outlets. But it's good to think that I may actually be earning soon and won't have to rely on my parents when I want something that's expensive. >:

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    You should watch out. People in local supermarkets can be really, really mean XD

Nah, but once when me and some friends went shopping in one of those in Prague, the cashier tried to get away with stealing 500 crones, by claiming she didn't understand what we said when we pointed out she had given us wrong change... She knew no English. Suuuuuure she didn't >:
    They took my friends to the back of the store, to count all the cash by hand with the boss. But my friend didn't get her money back, so the cashier probably managed to smuggle it into a pocket or something... Bleah.

I guess working in such a place can be a little like being the dishing guy in a local pizzeria? XP

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I have been thinking of trying to get a job at my local supermarket. They accpet people who are 13, for bagging groceries. Only my friend told me they are really mean to the younger people. They probobly only do that to make sure we don't skrew up xD

My football team have to go bagging in order to raise money for our club because it's in debt. Oh, the fun we will have. [/Sarcasm]

Meh, I'm fourteen and they don't let you work part-time until you're fifteen in my country so my parents can't force me to get a job.

Yet.

All the fourteen year olds at my school work at ski resorts in the winter. That sounds hecka sweet, so next school year that is where I am working! I figure I can make some extra cash part time after school, because I don't play a winter sport (hockey, or basketball).

Meh, maybe I can skii for free a bit too. I dunno, I wonder how strict they are on that.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Great that Oni's finally writing out his sarcasms ;)

In my country, you can't really have those jobs until you're 15 or 16 either... but some people have them anyways. BLACK!

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Great that Oni's finally writing out his sarcasms ;)

It's become a necessity with certain members of the forum always thinking I'm slagging them or whatever. It takes a little bit of effort, but if it stops the hyenas jumping on me, I don't really care.

I think you can get a part-time job when you're fifteen and a full-time job when you're sixteen, if you want to drop out of school and acquire an apprenticeship. It's not something I'd know about because all I'm fixed on is my education these days.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I'm fixed on everything apart from my education these days.... honestly I don't know what's gotten to me. I haven't done my homework properly in... months (ok it's been summer vacation but...) and my mind is never on school work. I just hang with friends... and party. Hm. I've been partying away all of my weekends lately. Guess that's not a good thing to do if you want to benefit from a proper education?

I think the age thingys are the same here. My friend dropped out of school at the age of 17 me thinks. He started working in a skii resort, full time (ey, Comic Tragedy? ^^) and building things and such... and now he claims he knows more about real life than us who still go to school. I can't help but agree with him. We may know more chemistry and science... but he knows people and, well, how to build a house with his bare hands. That's really something.

but he knows people and, well, how to build a house with his bare hands. That's really something.

Yea, If I wasn't actually worried about making money in our falling economy I wouldn't actually mind doing something like that. Dropping out of school, working, and working and working. Doing things that really make sense substantially. But Ironicaly, I have always been interested in creating blueprints, and architecture... so I would love learning how to build a house.

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
    I... spend a decent amount of time on my education :| I wouldn't say I ignore it or anything, but it isn't really like, the main part of my life. And I mean, sure, dropping out and just working (or being lazy around home all day) sounds... semi-decent in theory, but I'd never actually consider it @_@ In the long run, I'd still have to get a GED (or an equivalent of one, if I was in a different country), and they don't look as good as graduating from high school; and since I know I wouldn't want to "just work" or be lazy for the rest of my life, I'd never think twice about it :[

Oh, and @ Lightning (from several pages back but oh well): Well, all those field trips were to the soup kitchen and stuff D: I only wish we got community service hours for regular field trips.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    I have a part-time job, and it tends to annoy the crap outta me. XD; I look after children in a play centre, whoop-de-doo. I got it when I was fourteen, although most people don't really get hired until they were fifteen or sixteen, so I felt very out of place for two years. :'D

I would never drop out of school, though. It's never crossed my mind and I don't think I'd ever consider it. @_@

Oh, god, just thinking about working my current part time job full time makes me cringe. XD

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I much prefer school over working full time, whether I get paid or not. :( Work is so dull--at least with school, you learn new things everyday and the assignments you get are usually new and, well, maybe not exciting but you know what I mean. 8/ Work is just tedious and boring, haha. I've graduated high school, but I can't imagine not having done so. I know a lot of people do it of their own volition (or miss out on it for reasons beyond their control) but I think it's just essential nowadays. A lot of places (decent full-time jobs, mind you) won't hire even if you have a high school diploma or equivalent, and even university degrees aren't "worth" as much as they once were. Real life sucks. :(

AND SPEAKING OF WHICH I should really go to bed since I work tomorrow, baaw.

ShadowofTime01

Pokemon Professor
    Years
    I have to say going to school full time is way better than working. Well at least working at a dead end minimum wage job (say like at a fast food restaurant that serves sub sandwiches). I just got back to my college yesterday, and it's amazing to be back... I woke up with a hangover and i'm now preparing to go shopping for supplies with my aunt that was nice enough to bring me down here... and I accidentally singed parts of my eyebrows last night, don't ask me how.

But when school starts next week, I'm going to finally buckle down and study because I want to get my aerospace engineering degree and make good money. My first year (last year) off at college I just slacked off like i was in high school and then got a reality shock when my grades weren't as good as they were then.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    I don't even work so I can only say I would prefer work. After all with work you get payed and you don't have to sit around in a desk for 6 hours, for 5 days a week. Besides work is only about 10 hours and that is also about....4-5 times a week.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
    I don't have a prob with working. School was boring, but the job I'm in I get to go around, do my own thing, and get paid for it. Where school I just sit there, reading, listening, being bored. And I made no money doing school, so there. XD

Phanima

That servant of the evil one
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2011
    You actually lose money by going to school. Of course, you can consider it a future investment but that doesn't really help the pressure and boredom you experience throughout. At least for me anyway. xP

And youth is a good thing, savor it while you can. Besides, you get more chances to fail (and succeed) later. xP

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back