• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Daily Chit-Chat [2008]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack O'Neill

Banned
Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    I've done ZERO community service. D: I'm hoping the university I want to go to will let me in on my good looks. :>
    You're just as misanthropic as the rest of these meatbags. Even worse, you're a narcissist as well.

As for me, my secondary school required sixty hours. I did something along the lines of 150. I don't feel the need to elaborate any further.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    My school requires forty and I've only got thirty-two hours done. >: The last hours always seem like the hardest ones to get.

The things I did to earn my hours are very similar to what I do for my job, so it wasn't too hard. It was quite fun, though. :D

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    My university doesn't require any of that. :/ I'd be annoyed if it did, haha. I'm not really a fan of community service even if it makes me sound like a bad person. Unless I have a good reason to (as in, I HAVE to, or I know someone running an event that needs help), I won't do it. :|
    You know, a lot of people would probably approach this community service with the same attitude as you, but it actually hasn't been uncommon for students to continue on with the organisation they volunteered with after their required time is complete.

Sure, it's not for everyone but hey... even staffing this place is a form of volunteer work, and you enjoy it, right? I guess it depends on what you want to get out of it.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • @Amachi: That's true. I suppose I don't really consider the things I enjoy to be community service or volunteer work. Especially something like this even if it is, by definition, volunteering. XD

I don't mind giving my time to things that benefit those close to me but I do find it hard to find the connection when I don't know anyone involved or anything. Some of my volunteer work actually has a solid place on my resume, so even if I originally volunteered under the pretense of just helping out, it's helping me out too and for some reason I can't shake that as selfishness on my part, which makes it seem... not like community service/volunteer work. XD I wonder if this post even makes any sense.

You're just as misanthropic as the rest of these meatbags. Even worse, you're a narcissist as well.

As for me, my secondary school required sixty hours. I did something along the lines of 150. I don't feel the need to elaborate any further.
    You never struck me as the community service type. Especially since you're now going out of your way to imply you're better than others because you do more. :( Double standard much?

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • I've done a lovely 0 hours of community service. After a long day of walking around, picking up trash my feet would kill me. On top of that, I'm too lazy. XD

I don't mind helping people, keeping the environment clean and all of that. But if it's a requirement... yea. On top of that, it makes you look like you did something bad, because around here the ones who does community service is ones who broke the law, or killed a cat or something. XD

Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2008
    First of all, I have to point out. I'm a 14 year old secondary school boy. What sane person my age would want to do that :P.

If someone would then I would eat my hat (no joke :P.) You can choose what one, if I have it at home XD.

Unforgettable

Melodies of Life
    Years
  • I used to do lots of community service.
    I'm all about the environment and peace and stuff. :3 If I'm walking or something and see trash on the ground I make sure I pick it up. And I recycle. Once at the park, I cleaned up the pond just cause I felt like it. XD;; Yep. I'm one of those people. XD;;

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
  • Wait, what is this? How is it I've done more community service then like, most of the people over 19 here? :| At my old school, we got around 20 community service hours per year via fieldtrips, and this summer I was suckered into volunteering at the hospital (though I only did like, 2 times <_<) and then I volunteered once again to help move desks around at this school I was planning to go to. I'm pretty sure I have around 75 hours total, and I'm like way younger then Andy (Arcanine) and all y'all who have none. SOMETHING IS WRONG HERE :[

Unforgettable

Melodies of Life
    Years
  • I have to agree with Aegis. I'm 20 myself,but... People should do community service. there is nothing better than that feeling. And plus... with out it, where would the community be? I volunteer for it all the time. Things like Habitat for Humanity, or just cleaning up the high way, or promoting recycling. I guess being in Girl Scouts when I was young got me on to it... I dunno.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    Wait, what is this? How is it I've done more community service then like, most of the people over 19 here? :| At my old school, we got around 20 community service hours per year via fieldtrips, and this summer I was suckered into volunteering at the hospital (though I only did like, 2 times <_<) and then I volunteered once again to help move desks around at this school I was planning to go to. I'm pretty sure I have around 75 hours total, and I'm like way younger then Andy (Arcanine) and all y'all who have none. SOMETHING IS WRONG HERE :[

does not getting out much count as a reason?

Ninetales1

Japan-flavoured Europhile
    Years
  • Wow, staffing an online forum counts as "community service"? In that case, I've done a little of it with another Pokemon-related site.

Aside from that, the only "real" community service I've done was volunteering at a wildlife centre for about ten hours. I didn't have that much to do though, so I just quit.

In the above, all I did was sit around for a few minutes, feed birds, sit around another few minutes, feed birds, do a little laundry, feed birds, wash a dish or two, wait some more, feed birds, walk aimlessly around the centre, feed birds... get the idea?

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
  • I had to clean a whole Park up, with a few kids from my school. We were forced to by the school, but we were actually going to volunteer for it anyway, since it was during school hours it was a nice waste of lesson time and we were helping the community out.

I was astounded when I found out being an Administrator of a site is classified Community Service, that just blew me away!

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    What, you people clearly misunderstood me. I never said that it counted as anything. All I said was that this is volunteer work on our part since we don't get paid for this nor are we forced into it.

/facepalm

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
  • Most people don't get paid for Community Service. And Community Service can be volunteer work as well as being forced to do it.

Real Sleepy Scott

PC's Nurse Joy admirer
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Sep 24, 2008
    Im so glad im not as sick as yesterday it was a real pain, Just abit of a cold I caught just if anyone was wondering. Still Im kinda new so I came here to get abit of information of people if you get what I mean get to know the ins and outs of the active members. But anyways with the Community Service stuff I guess if your doing volunteer work you normally just say your doing volunteer work because generally (as yes what has been said before), If you do community service it normally counts under you paying for your bad deeds to society you wouldn't describe it as doing volunteer work because you havent got the choice you have to do it.

Last edited:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Wait, what is this? How is it I've done more community service then like, most of the people over 19 here? :| At my old school, we got around 20 community service hours per year via fieldtrips, and this summer I was suckered into volunteering at the hospital (though I only did like, 2 times <_<) and then I volunteered once again to help move desks around at this school I was planning to go to. I'm pretty sure I have around 75 hours total, and I'm like way younger then Andy (Arcanine) and all y'all who have none. SOMETHING IS WRONG HERE :[
    o_O We never got community service hours from field trips. Our field trips were for learning about relevant things.

And then things like moving desks around wouldn't count as volunteer hours at my school because it's not ~Christian~ enough, but I probably put in another 20 hours if you count setting up for school things (like events, etc).

Wow, staffing an online forum counts as "community service"? In that case, I've done a little of it with another Pokemon-related site?
    No, it's volunteer work. There's a difference. XD

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Haha... I see the funny. Community service... Pokécommunity... erhm.

I have a trouble getting decent extra-jobs now... because I've never had any before :( It's an evil circle. You should start when you're young. I didn't. I'm lazy.

Phanima

That servant of the evil one
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2011
    I have the exact same problem. I'm way too lazy for my own good. I did have a part-time job in high school but I quit near the end because of exams.

And now for some reason, part-time/casual positions tend to scout out high schoolers more than university students. Quite bothersome really, since I could use the money. :|

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back