• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: the daily chit-chat (jan2019 - jun2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    i wish i could at least be able to do some of my work from home because i just never have time at work and i don't wanna to sit at work on the computer when i'm supposed to be off. being able to do a little work while watching tv or something sounds a little more relaxing and less stressful tbh but our stupid back office system needs the internet to be up a certain way for it to be able to be used augh.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
    I'm of the opinion that once you're off the clock, you're off the clock. It's what infuriates me about the Teaching profession because they're "salaried" and hence have to do hours upon hours of work that's outside of the normal school day. The most obvious is grading assignments but then there's Sporting events, School dances and other school activities that they're effectively not getting paid for but contractually obligated to do. If they were, a Teacher would be making well above 6 figures($150k at least).

Years
    I used to be jealous of salaried folk because of the whole "well if you leave early your paycheck won't be affected because you're still getting paid the same"

... but that seems like a small positive compared to the mountains of negatives it comes with, orz. personally glad I get paid for any overtime that I do.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    yeaaaahhh it'd be one thing if salary still got paid some kind of OT when they work more than the hours they work but alas here I am working on my schedule at home because there's no way I've had any time to do any work on it while i'm at work.

Years
    I'm of the opinion that once you're off the clock, you're off the clock. It's what infuriates me about the Teaching profession because they're "salaried" and hence have to do hours upon hours of work that's outside of the normal school day. The most obvious is grading assignments but then there's Sporting events, School dances and other school activities that they're effectively not getting paid for but contractually obligated to do. If they were, a Teacher would be making well above 6 figures($150k at least).

I'm pretty lucky that in my job right now that all I do, besides lesson preparation, is purely teaching in the classroom. All that out of hours stuff that you do not get paid for is a key reason why I'd never train as a PGCE qualified teacher back in Britain.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
    I'm pretty lucky that in my job right now that all I do, besides lesson preparation, is purely teaching in the classroom. All that out of hours stuff that you do not get paid for is a key reason why I'd never train as a PGCE qualified teacher back in Britain.

If Teachers were hourly as opposed to Salary, they'd be getting paid overtime on a daily basis. 60 hour weeks(sometimes higher than that) when school is in session is not uncommon across the board. There were times when my mom was doing 80 hour weeks, which at x1.5 for overtime means that her overall salary would be increased 25% during that period(base + 1.5 = 2.5/2 = 1.25). Being a Science Teacher she does Lab Reports that take hours to grade, particularly with this next generation crap that looks at "how" one answers the question as opposed to whether they actually get it right(aka do they know it or not). Back in the 60's when we were going to the Moon(and coincidentally when my mom was going to school), I don't think we gave a flying f&ck how one got the answer but rather that they got it right(so long as they weren't cheating of course). One need only look at today's standards as to why our schools are producing graduates that are inadequate for today's needs.

Sorry for the rant but it just grinds my gears at times...

Years
    I would love being able to work remotely...that way I could easily go back and forth between Florida and Virginia with my family anytime I ever wanted to

Years
    I just want to work a job that I like instead of working a job to make ends meet. As far as my current job goes, it falls in-between those two things. Mostly the making ends meet part, though. Any job that I "like" is going to be anything to do with tech which... is pretty hard to find around my area. ._.

Years
    I love my jobs as well but I really wish I could work more hours where I do and also have benefits. ._.

that's why I am job searching this coming fall like crazy..to hopefully land in a job with benefits and one that is full time

Years
    I am counting the days until I'm finished.

i recently learned though that I will need to get a certificate of good conduct (so basically a criminal record check) for my time in China if I ever want to work with vulnerable people in the UK...and I am actually considering finding part time work in a care home for a few months while back which would definitely fall under that category. I might as well get it anyway since if I ever did need it in the future for whatever reason I would literally need to fly back to China to get it in person. Just a little inconvenient because of all these overtime hours I'll be working for the last 3 weeks eating up my time, and for me needing to wait until right at the end so there is no question about the validity of the certificate... which also means I can't even book a flight yet. I can see UK places of employment being picky about a 3 week discrepancy (or even a 1 week one).

Last edited:

Cid

Years
    I haven't dived into the job hunting thing for quite a bit due to depression. Not depressed anymore, though! At least I think I'm not.

Any tips for little old me?

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Job hunting is exhausting on its own, let alone if you're already depressed.

Years
    I haven't dived into the job hunting thing for quite a bit due to depression. Not depressed anymore, though! At least I think I'm not.

Any tips for little old me?

rejection happens, sometimes, with job hunting. employers will even just...ghost you 100% and not say anything at all re: your application/interview. don't let it discourage you!!

also hi everyone

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    helloo tyler!!

and yeah the best thing you can do is just keep pushing putting apps out and try not to be discouraged by rejection/ghosting. the job market is a fickle beast and often times it's a long road until you actually land something.

Years
    idk how jobs work in the phillipines but personally I just apply every Monday through Thursday (earlier in the week is better) from around 7 or 8 AM to 4 PM because I want to make damn sure my application is the first thing employers see in their inboxes.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    i think it depends on the employers because when i get apps i glance at them and put them in my pile until i'm actually looking to hire but we do paper apps and we're just a fast food restaurant i'm sure actual workplaces have their own methods for doing things.

Years
    I've been doing nothing this whole weekend.

Mostly because I relax in the morning and by the time I would even want to do anything (which is usually in the early afternoon) it starts raining and that kills any desire of me wanting to do stuff.

good ol' Florida summer: always raining in the early afternoon. @_@

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Niceee

It's Sunday, and I have the busiest work day of the whole week. :'D

(I'm not really jealous, I'll have my days off soon!)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back