• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

THE END OF GAME SHOPS IS NIGH!

Years

• The Future Of Game Distribution...

If you know of a games store called GAME, then you are most likely informed of what is going on with them. If you don't, basically...

The chain has been hurt by a relationship breakdown with some leading games producers, who refused to supply new titles such as Mario Party 9 and Mass Effect 3.
    It has also been hit by competition from cheaper rivals such as online giant Amazon.

The question I pose to you is, what do you think the future holds for the selling of games? Are games shops going to be outsold by the online community? Or are you just putting it down to GAME's connection breakdown?

Last edited:
    Years
  • GAME's issue is clearly it's connection breakdown. GameStop is largely flourishing here in the States due to its business model and its willingness to do what it takes to get new titles in store with exclusives. Used game stores here in the States can generally be divided up into two categories: the national/international chains that follow the GameStop model by focusing on newer used games, and the other stores that specialize in classics and collectibles, these stores and chains generally being local.

Years
  • YOU ANSWERED ONLY ONE PART OF THE QUESTION DON DON! XD

Do you think the game shops will always be around? Online selling has certainly impacted on people buying habits...​

Years
  • While I don't think physical sales in brick-and-mortar stores are going anywhere, I do thing there will be a significant fallout between most specialty video game stores and their customers at some point. First, let me point out that I don't know the ins-and-outs of GAME, because I live in the US; I've only dealt with them when I imported Xenoblade (and it was a smooth experience on my end).

First off, if GAME is anything like GameStop, then chances are in-store experiences aren't great (if borderline terrible in some locations). GameStop consistently has its employees push the Game Informer Magazine on customers, along with preorders and buying used. While in many cases it's not bad, and in few the employees are actually smooth and nice about it, some are outright abusive (I've been personally insulted before because I didn't buy a used game and for buying a Pokémon game on seperate occasions). Couple that along with employees trying to pester parents into buying something their kid(s) didn't want. The in-store experience is key, and if it's anything like GameStop, poor experience means customer loss over time which means to sales loss which leads to poor credit and publisher relations. Not to mention purchasing online completely does away with any of these potential issues, and is more convenient in most situations.

You can also match this with the fact brick-and-mortar stores usually have an agenda in regards to their stock and sales. You will most likely see loads of stock of Call of Duty XXX, but rarely will you see a niche game published by XSeed or Aksys. The games published by XSeed and Aksys are largely available online, and sometimes even have lower prices. Take Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga. It was near impossible to find in most stores at release here, but you could find it everywhere online. Now stores like GameStop sell it for much more than it's actually worth. You can also add poor pricing of common games, even though browsing the GAME online store, it didn't seem that was the case at all (I imported Xenoblade for less than it would have to buy domestically!).

Finally, you can also attribute the marketing machine to this. While I can't really see any ads or marketing for GAME without going out of my way to see them, my thought is their advertising and marketing machine is likely very poor and broken. If so, it'll lead to very small numbers of new customers. Poor promotions and sales that make little sense and save customers little money will do little to attract them. For example, my local GameStop ran a promotion for 5% off select games. The 5% off was only on sports games, and used ones at that, which are games no one wants (used copies of Madden and such fetch prices of about 25¢ - $20, depending on the year). Ads that have no defined target or ads that target a group but fail to deliver the message are largely ineffective where they need to be. They probably also don't take into account the other effects the advertisements have on potential customers.

To be honest, if GAME has any combination of the above issues, it's not hard to see why they would have a fallout with their existing customers and fail to draw in new customers. Not to mention the relative ease and convenience of ordering online as well as excellent sales (Amazon daily deals can be absolutely amazing) make ordering online much more attractive.

However, like I said, I don't think brick-and-mortar stores are going anywhere anytime soon. For one, people are impatient for the most part and want their stuff now. Ordering online means you have to wait a few days to up to two weeks to get your game. Second of all, if the UK is even as bad as it is here, when ordering a GBA game online can be very risky as you run the chance of getting a counterfeit copy (niche point, I realize, but it can still happen, even for non-GBA games). Third of all, at least here in the US, shipping an item runs the risk of it being lost or damaged in transit. If anything, I could see GameStop or GAME being replaced if either of them goes under.

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
  • When it comes to physical stores I fail to have a large imagination when it comes to what's going to happen to them in the future. I agree with what Donavannj said about GAME, and the fact that GameStop is still going strong here in America. However, I will say that I recently switched to using Amazon for all of my gaming needs. I can usually get a deal on whatever i'm looking for, and sell any games i'm done with for more money then I would get from trading them in. I even get free release date delivery on new games, which defeats having to get out and wait in line.
    To top it all off, digital downloading is incredibly beneficial to publishers as it costs them no money to reproduce and distribute games. It's definitely a method that's popping up more and more these days.
    Digital downloading is even beneficial to the indie developers (Which I love), so it gives them to opportunity to get their games out to the same market as the major games.

By the way, has anybody heard of the "Steam box" that's been floating around the internet?
    I think it's kinda useless since all you really have to do is hook your TV to play Steam games, but it could be useful if you can't afford a gaming rig.
    With Steam's success in the digital download market, I could see it doing well as a console so long as they never limit the number of times you can download your game or make the system's hard drive hard to upgrade/limited.

Last edited:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I've been hearing from UK friends for months that GAME is gonna go under, so this hasn't been a surprise to me or anything. It just sounds to me like they've been floundering for a while and, since their distributors know they're gonna go under soon, they've stopped selling them their content which isn't helping. :( It would suck to be the consumer in the area, though, since if GAMEs are distributed like GameStop/EB Games is here, it's so convenient to get to them over big box stores like Best Buy. :c
    First off, if GAME is anything like GameStop, then chances are in-store experiences aren't great (if borderline terrible in some locations). GameStop consistently has its employees push the Game Informer Magazine on customers, along with preorders and buying used. While in many cases it's not bad, and in few the employees are actually smooth and nice about it, some are outright abusive (I've been personally insulted before because I didn't buy a used game and for buying a Pokémon game on seperate occasions). Couple that along with employees trying to pester parents into buying something their kid(s) didn't want. The in-store experience is key, and if it's anything like GameStop, poor experience means customer loss over time which means to sales loss which leads to poor credit and publisher relations. Not to mention purchasing online completely does away with any of these potential issues, and is more convenient in most situations.
    You know? I'm starting to wonder if this is just how the American GameStops are run. I have never run into any of these problems in a GameStop. In Canada, they don't push the magazine at ALL and the only thing they do during the transaction is ask if you want the disc guarantee and staple a list of trade-ins to your receipt. I've never even been asked if I want to preorder anything which is sad because that would probably break my resolve and make me preorder something. (I am always trying hard not to preorder ALL THE GAMES. xD) The employees are helpful and save for the few girls who were probably hired because they were hot, actually know their stuff. I had a lengthy discussion with an employee the other day when I bought FFXIII-2's CE at a Gamestop as we debated which version (PS3/360) was probably better. We were both leaning toward PS3 even though the only copy of the CE they had was 360. (I ended up buying it anyway just in case I could never find a PS3 version... which I did at another Gamestop. :D) But he was still... not doggedly forcing me to make my decision the expensive game he had up on the wall.

Anyway, I don't think brick-and-mortar stores are going anywhere any time soon. There will almost always be place for them, especially the ones like Gamestop where used sales are so prominent. It's a looot easier to take your used game in there rather than bundle it up and ship it back to Amazon and every single casual gamer I know makes use of selling their used games. (Even some of the ~~~~real~~~ gamers I know do it.) I have no reference for it, but I swear I read somewhere that GS's success is due to those used sales, as much as game devs hate it. :x I think so long as that's a trend, there won't be a problem.

Question: there are more Gamestop-esque shops in the UK than just GAME, right? I think I remember there's Gamestation and uhh... PLAY, maybe? (The last one might be an HMV-type store though... I don't know!) Maybe local competition was a main driver? 'Cause I know at least in Canada we simply don't have that problem. There are a few gaming stores that aren't Gamestops or EB Games but really the only other places to get games are department and big box stores here.

SuperGamecube64

The best console ever
    Years
  • The only game specialty stores in my area are GAMESTOP and Play-n-rade. Play-n-Trade has better prices, but no games. GAMESTOP has everything, and ridiculous prices. Ultimately, I ussually just buy online.

Years
  • Question: there are more Gamestop-esque shops in the UK than just GAME, right? I think I remember there's Gamestation and uhh... PLAY, maybe? (The last one might be an HMV-type store though... I don't know!) Maybe local competition was a main driver? 'Cause I know at least in Canada we simply don't have that problem. There are a few gaming stores that aren't Gamestops or EB Games but really the only other places to get games are department and big box stores here.

Correct, there are.
    Gamestation is one of the main ones I would personally say, there are others like HMV, Cex and so on but they aren't just games.

Normally, how it is in the UK, GAME is normally the face of the games market here, Gamestation is normally your actual gamers who go there and the others are either for offers or impulse buys.

I agree with you Erica, I think that physical shops are going to stick around for a while. I do think that the purchasing of games will become completely digital, but not for a good few years yet. The PSPgo tried but failed so hard because the consumer base wasn't ready for it.​

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I went in to my local Game and I noticed that Mario Party 9 was available to Pre-Order (this was in February) so I figured I'd come in on the day to get it but when it eventually came to that day, they had none in stock which was strange considering I knew they had Pre-Orders available but now I know why. It's a shame really because there are a limited amount of Video Game distribution stores around now and if one of the leading company closes then other may follow, surely there are HMV, Gamestation etc. but I prefer Game and I hope things pick up for them.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Anyway, I don't think brick-and-mortar stores are going anywhere any time soon. There will almost always be place for them, especially the ones like Gamestop where used sales are so prominent. It's a looot easier to take your used game in there rather than bundle it up and ship it back to Amazon and every single casual gamer I know makes use of selling their used games. (Even some of the ~~~~real~~~ gamers I know do it.) I have no reference for it, but I swear I read somewhere that GS's success is due to those used sales, as much as game devs hate it. :x I think so long as that's a trend, there won't be a problem.
    Amazon would be a hassle, yeah. But the big box stores do trade-ins and sell used games too. I haven't used those services, but they're there.

I rarely buy from a GameStop or EB Games. I like going in because it's wall-to-wall gaming and I may browse through the used games although I've never found anything I've been looking for. But for new copies? It's always cheaper to buy at the big box stores. I haven't paid full price for the bulk of the games I've bought in the last couple of years.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years

• Amazon would be a hassle, yeah. But the big box stores do trade-ins and sell used games too. I haven't used those services, but they're there.

I rarely buy from a GameStop or EB Games. I like going in because it's wall-to-wall gaming and I may browse through the used games although I've never found anything I've been looking for. But for new copies? It's always cheaper to buy at the big box stores. I haven't paid full price for the bulk of the games I've bought in the last couple of years.
    I sort of mentioned it in passing in one of my paragraphs but in a LOT of places, there just aren't a lot of big box stores to do that at. There's a Future Shop somewhat near where I live now but really the only other store like it (Best Buy) is well over an hour away by bus. :( I imagine this is what it's like in a lot of more rural areas (not that I even live in one) which is why I really only took GS/EB seriously as a place to trade in games in person.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I sort of mentioned it in passing in one of my paragraphs but in a LOT of places, there just aren't a lot of big box stores to do that at. There's a Future Shop somewhat near where I live now but really the only other store like it (Best Buy) is well over an hour away by bus. :( I imagine this is what it's like in a lot of more rural areas (not that I even live in one) which is why I really only took GS/EB seriously as a place to trade in games in person.
    Until somewhat recently-ish, I've only ever encountered GS/EB in malls. Never saw a stand alone location for the longest time. So, the big box stores always seemed the more common one for me. Which, I would have assumed was the case in more rural areas too unless you lived near a mall (which based on your tweets, I'm guessing you do)

In Canada, EB/GS, Best Buy, Future Shop, and The Source all do trade-ins and used games.

In any event, GAME clearly must have screwed something up. Producers will want their products there unless it's not in their best interest to do so. The discs are made, they got to go somewhere. And digital isn't necessarily the form of distribution they went for instead (because that's not going to happen for Mario Party 9). GAME did some that broken the relationship they had with their suppliers. Shelving fees? Want them to lower the prices beyond what they could offer? Something. Not the end of game shops, I don't think.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
  • Don't forget that GAME owns GameStation, after buying it 3 years ago in a deal worth 74million. So I think if GAME goes under they can just convert into GameStation to solve it.

I personally love going into a game shop. I very rarely buy off the internet. The only time I do is if I have to work on the day a game is released and there is no midnight releases such as my collectors edition of FFXIII-2, which I had to buy from Amazon due to having to work and not wanting to miss out on play time.

But I would much rather go into a shop look at the games see the covers (very big artwork fan) I personally don't like GAME as it always seems so casual and the knowledge there is worse than that of my own so I use GameStation where they give me much better information such as Demon Souls which was recommended by them and I loved that game.

I couldn't live without game stores I don't think. Every time I go shopping I always pop in and end up picking up some sort of game. Probably why I have so many back logged games.

Game stores will remain to be my main place to buy games and I hope they remain active.

GAME losing its connections will more than likely be the cause of all this though and I hope they can get them back soon. ME3 was terrible though, didn't miss out on much.

Years
  • YOU ANSWERED ONLY ONE PART OF THE QUESTION DON DON! XD

Do you think the game shops will always be around? Online selling has certainly impacted on people buying habits...​

Oh, I do think there will be game shops around in some form or another for a good 20 years at a minimum, probably even longer. You just generally can't be the knowledgeable customer service that you usually get at the better managed game stores through an online download service, which often doesn't even have a call center for customer support! That and many game shops specialize in hard-to-find collectibles and games as well as services like internal battery replacement.

I know GameStop is set for the digital distribution era unless they manage to screw up their service, as they bought the Impulse distribution service within the past year.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • Well we don't have GAME here but we do have EB Games which I believe is the equivalent of Game Stop. Their customer service is pretty good but their prices are just too high, the only time they actually manage to make sales is during clearances which is pretty much all year long now. I honestly can't see stores that are just dedicated to gaming staying around forever, I normally find the games I want at a general electronics store or an online shop for much lower prices.

Years
  • Well we don't have GAME here but we do have EB Games which I believe is the equivalent of Game Stop. Their customer service is pretty good but their prices are just too high, the only time they actually manage to make sales is during clearances which is pretty much all year long now. I honestly can't see stores that are just dedicated to gaming staying around forever, I normally find the games I want at a general electronics store or an online shop for much lower prices.

We have EB Games in Australia, too. The sad thing is, their prices suck because of what the publishers are charging them. They do have good specials from time to time, but the PC prices suck compared to Steam and other online DD services.

When our prices at GAME (GAME UK bought out and replaced the Australian-owned Games Wizards a few years ago) are 1.5-2x what it costs in the UK and US, people buy less. My local EB Games is usually full of people, but Game is ALWAYS empty. Go in during the week before Xmas and you're lucky to have 4 people in there.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Through whatever means, so long as physical copies remain produced and distributed, I'll remain content.
    I have not personally found online shopping (of physical copies, as per the likes of Amazon) to be cheaper, so I haven't found much reason for shops to be losing out besides the fact the customer needs to go to them — but it's a sad reflection of society for that to be a significant factor. Still, the universal trends are what they are; I think video game shops will cease to be significant businesses before very long, eventually becoming niche things like shops that sell things like imported Mountain Dew; a shame since among other things this reduces the amount of jobs available, particularly to young persons, and a major current issue in the UK is unemployment.

Years
  • You know? I'm starting to wonder if this is just how the American GameStops are run. I have never run into any of these problems in a GameStop. In Canada, they don't push the magazine at ALL and the only thing they do during the transaction is ask if you want the disc guarantee and staple a list of trade-ins to your receipt. I've never even been asked if I want to preorder anything which is sad because that would probably break my resolve and make me preorder something. (I am always trying hard not to preorder ALL THE GAMES. xD) The employees are helpful and save for the few girls who were probably hired because they were hot, actually know their stuff. I had a lengthy discussion with an employee the other day when I bought FFXIII-2's CE at a Gamestop as we debated which version (PS3/360) was probably better. We were both leaning toward PS3 even though the only copy of the CE they had was 360. (I ended up buying it anyway just in case I could never find a PS3 version... which I did at another Gamestop. :D) But he was still... not doggedly forcing me to make my decision the expensive game he had up on the wall.

It may very well just be US stores. I've never been to a Canadian one (considering I haven't visited the country in a number of years), but I've been to many spanning the entire Eastern US Seaboard and most GameStops do push at least Game Informer.

However, I was doing a little more thinking, and one other reason how they could've ruined their credit with publishers is regarding to stock pricing, sales figures, and contractual obligations. GAME could have possibly wanted to get stock at lower prices because profit margins were too narrow, which could have resulted in losses for the company. It's likely that publishers would refuse a request like that, as they want need money, too. It's also likely that sales and income in GAME were too low, whether that be from higher prices, poor customer experience, bad marketing, or whatever, and that really turned off publishers from selling GAME stock. In addition to that, it's likely they're also contractually obligated to sell a certain amount of stock in order to get future stock, and it would seem like they've failed to meet those obligations.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • GAME could have possibly wanted to get stock at lower prices because profit margins were too narrow, which could have resulted in losses for the company. It's likely that publishers would refuse a request like that, as they want need money, too.
    That's my guess. Wal-Mart does this, but GAME does not have the same pull. Producers generally want to treat their distributors equally. They don't want to give one a lower price because that negatively impacts their relationship with their other distributors. Companies do remove their products from stores in this situation sometimes.

Years

• That's my guess. Wal-Mart does this, but GAME does not have the same pull. Producers generally want to treat their distributors equally. They don't want to give one a lower price because that negatively impacts their relationship with their other distributors. Companies do remove their products from stores in this situation sometimes.

Yeh, this is true.
    I have been thinking as to why this would happen and this seems the most logical. I haven't heard anything new about the story, but GAME's stock prices are still going down.​

Back