• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sports The Football Discussion Thread!

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
  • Cool, this will be a good test for our youngsters.
    The Football Discussion Thread!

Years
  • What tournament is that?

Interesting to see all the sudden outrage at ticket prices just because BBC published some figures. I mean it's been this way for years, I'm sure anyone it really concerns already knew. It's cool to see the average Championship ticket prices went down though, maybe a case of some historically big teams finally accepting their places but I doubt it. That said Derby & Sheff Wed had the two cheapest so maybe that is the case.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • It is what seems to be a very hastily thrown together under 21s competition called the Premier League International Cup. It was supposed to be the top 8 sides from the previous year's u21 premier league but Liverpool decided they didn't want to compete. Then there was some problem with Uefa in regards to playing overseas, the Premier League's solution was to get all of the games to be played over here. Apparently that took too long to sort out so Southampton and Manchester United withdrew. For Norwich, Everton and West Ham those withdrawals were pretty lucky. When I initially read about EPPP this is the sort of thing I was expecting.

I saw those articles. Norwich were worst value per goal scored, what a shocker.

VeranithasVI

I eat shades of #radred.
    Years
  • EPL is back in action this weekend! Manchester United (my team for twelve years, despite our recent... setback...) take on West Bromwich Albion, and that's the ONLY fixture I'm currently aware of. Then we play Chelsea next week.

Anyone else really keen for the EPL to start back up again, after the recent wave of international matches? And speaking of, did anybody manage to catch any of the international matches? I only follow international football via blogs and news reports online, so I'm not sure if any of the matches were any good. Specifically England and Holland (they didn't play against each other but both had games respectively).

VeranithasVI

I eat shades of #radred.
    Years
  • Aw that sucks. How was Rooney? We'll miss him during the Chelsea game and, with the way we're playing recently, possibly in the WBA game.

City v Spurs should be a good one. I'm interested in watching Burnley v West Ham tbh. My home town of Burnley aren't doing to well and West Ham are having a blinder of a season. Should be good.

United v WBA isn't til Tuesday 6am Australian time. Not even going to be able to watch it live. AND our game against Chelsea is the following Monday at 3am. -_-

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • Rooney was pretty much a passenger. He scored a pen and a free kick but didn't do much else. He missed a lot of one on one opportunities. If he didn't play for Utd he would have probably been dropped.

VeranithasVI

I eat shades of #radred.
    Years
  • And the fact that he's currently the Captain, that makes it rather hard to drop him. ;]

Missing one-on-one chances is a no-go I'll admit, but I've resigned to thinking of Rooney as more of a central attacking midfielder now, holding the ball and playing passes where necessary, etc. For a forward his defense game is immense, too.

I sound like I'm on some form of Rooney bandwagon, but I'm not. I can concede to him having bad games. I just think he's an all round brilliant player. Irrational, but brilliant.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • Thread is broken, don't use quick post anymore.

Seems as if he is only captain on reputation as well. For me it would be captain Henderson, probably.

On recent performances Rooney would probably be my 3rd or 4th choice forward. You are right that he better behind the striker, in that position he would probably be 1st or second choice.

We have to play the diamond with Wilshire out of position and a 19 year old at the tip because MUH NEW IDENTITY. Funny we are playing this formation even though our fullbacks can hardly attack, striker can't finish and well, Wilshire will not perform in this position against good sides.

My preferred England 11 would be rather different to what we are getting right now.

Years
  • Any team with Wilshere or Carroll potentially in it doesn't sound like a fix to me. :P

My team would be radically different especially now the qualifying group is so easy, but of course we're seen as being experimental just with one or two youngsters on nevermind half the team. Lets face it, we should still beat San Marino with Wickham, Will Hughes, Butland, Ben Gibson, Jordon Ibe, Redmond, Grealish (if we make him betray Ireland) etc. playing so why not do it?

Maybe have Crouchinho in there for desperate situations so we can rely on his great scoring record against pub sides.

Last edited:

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • If we could get Arsenal Wilshire it wouldn't be a problem. Picked Carroll because muh options, with those wingers we could get a lot of balls into the box.

I wouldn't go full yoof even with the easy qualifying, in that respect I agree with what Woy is doing now. Going with the shape and personnel he wants to use in France. Shame he hs gotten the shape and personnel wrong really.

Years
  • Speaking of England NT (which I'm assuming is the subject matter here because most of you are from there), don't that weird band music that play every time England plays annoy any of you guys?

Years
  • WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE!!!!!!

Just getting that in there before Norwich/Watford/Derby score and/or we throw away the lead.

Edit: Haha that didn't take long.

Last edited:

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • Us losing today was a given.

Adams seems to have a weird urge to play player out of position. This week it is Grabban and Martin. At lest it isn't Wes though, I suppose.

Missed a pen in the opening couple of second half mins. Classic.

Now Hoolahan is off injured. When it rains, it pours.

Last edited:
    Back