• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sports The Football Discussion Thread!

Years
Wow, how did you predict that? What were the odds of that before the game?
You could have made a lot of money.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Norwich always capitulate away from home against the big teams. Liverpool had just lost pretty badly to Hull so I was expecting a backlash. Their other main striker was out injured so the goals would most probably be coming from him. Coutinho was back in the side. Considering that I doubt the odds would have been spectacular, I don't bet against Norwich anyway so it doesn't matter.

In other news this is.....stunning.

Last edited:
Years
So England are dead next year before it has even began. There was a sense of inevitability about it when the commentator built up how bad the group would be for us before we were drawn.

The first game being at 2am might be annoying too since I usually make an effort to watch all world cup games that I can, missing one of England's will be odd.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
Man, the US is screwed.

I see the semi-finals being Brazil v Germany and Spain v Argentina. I'd love to see Germany get to the finals, but I think Brazil will probably play better at home and probably beat Argentina in the final.

Beyond Infinity

Couldn't Outfox a Donkey
Years
You know, it is a bad group for England, but we might as well use it.

Put in fearless youth. Build for the future and move away from the failed past. It won't happen, I expect to see Gerrard and Milner to start every game with Lampard always coming on from the bench, but it would be nice.

Also, the first game against Italy may be moved which would suit both teams.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
I'm afraid for my life :( We got one of the two groups of death, with the bonus that whoever finishes second will face Brazil in the next round.

I just hope the Netherlands don't behave like last time and send half our team to the hospital right the first day.

Years
I imagine Spain will be fine barring the Netherlands being overly aggressive like you said in the final. No group should worry you really. :P

The Telegraph has created a nice little page dedicated to the squad you would select for England at the World Cup so feel free to have a nice play with that. (Link)

Here are my picks in the spoiler -

Spoiler:

It makes our pool of players look so weak.

EDIT: They also have a fun predictor up, not sure whether it's just me that loves doing these but I'll leave the link. (Link)

Years
I'm afraid for my life :( We got one of the two groups of death, with the bonus that whoever finishes second will face Brazil in the next round.

I just hope the Netherlands don't behave like last time and send half our team to the hospital right the first day.

Funnily enough that your home country of Spain is in the same group as my home country Australia, who are actually the lowest-ranked of this WC's participants as far as world rankings are concerned (World No. 59 for my Aussies) and because of Australia being the underdogs of Group B means they'll have to pull off major upsets if they want any hope of passing the group stage, in fact at the 2010 World Cup they actually did get eliminated in the group stage, well they did end up in the same group as Germany back then and got thrashed heavily.

You know, I've even seen some people betting that Australia will fail heavily in the group stage due to its opponents alone. Spain and the Netherlands were both 2010 WC finalists so this is probably why they think so.

Even if my down under folks were to finish second in qualifying (face it, I know Spain will top my group) they will still make an early exit because of how big a powerhouse Brazil is.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Sadly I can't see anything but Australia going out in the group stage. I think Holland will finish above Spain though.

Years
Sadly I can't see anything but Australia going out in the group stage. I think Holland will finish above Spain though.

Definitely agreed. Even though I'm Australian I have the feeling we'll probably finish in the bottom two of our group and hence miss the cut for the Round of 16. I even made a Tumblr post summing it all up. Australia basically suffered the same fate in the draw as the US, ending up with two European powerhouses.

Also, not to mention Australia is actually the lowest of the 32 participants going by world rankings alone. I've seen several Americans posting on Tumblr today saying "that's it we're screwed", so I'm assuming a few Australians have been as well in reaction to drawing Group B.

KamikazeSSoH

Gym leader of São Paulo,brazi
Years
as a brazillian i think brazil is gonna lose to germany or maybe netherlands again... our team is not that great like everyone thinks ONE THING THAT HAPPEN and neymar stars playin cocky

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Brazil team lacks a superstar in his prime but it looks far more balanced than it has in the recent past. I'd also be a little worried if Hulk got injured as you do seem to be lacking for cover in the number 9 role. Given home advantage and your history in the tournament it isn't surprising Brazil would be favourites for a lot of people.

As for Neymar I haven't seen him play much but he doesn't seem to be a player that would crack under the pressure. It could quite well be his World Cup.

Years
England is definitely gone at the first hurdle. Although I'm not a major fan of football, even I know when we going to get our butts whipped. My partner was pretty much a heap on the floor when we were put with Uruguay and pronounced our demise straight away... Our only hope is if Suarez 'accidently' breaks his legs... *Hunts him down with a baseball bat*

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
That was an awful post, you should feel bad.

I haven't been to /sp/ yet today but I can certainly feel the >moyes right now.

Last edited:

Beyond Infinity

Couldn't Outfox a Donkey
Years

I think you're being pretty kind to Chile and Australia to suggest it's a group of death. Spain and the Netherlands will cruise through.

As for Manchester United, we need a lot of investment in January and a LOT of time...

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Norwich survive an onslaught and win 2 - 0 away at West Brom. Scary, scary match but what a result. Looked so much better playing a pressing game.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I think you're being pretty kind to Chile and Australia to suggest it's a group of death. Spain and the Netherlands will cruise through.
Apparently Chile went very well in qualifying and recent matches, and they won't be easybeats imo. Australia though... the only chance we'd have is in part because we got rid of our terribad previous coach only two months ago, a couple years too late. This may sound odd considering we qualified for the WC, but believe me, he was a bad coach. >_>

Beyond Infinity

Couldn't Outfox a Donkey
Years
Apparently Chile went very well in qualifying and recent matches, and they won't be easybeats imo. Australia though... the only chance we'd have is in part because we got rid of our terribad previous coach only two months ago, a couple years too late. This may sound odd considering we qualified for the WC, but believe me, he was a bad coach. >_>
Chile beat England, but that's England. I can't imagine them giving the Dutch or Spanish too much jip unless they play truly badly.

Years
A Man City win will open up the title race for everyone in the top 4.
Arsenal were really getting away in the last few weeks.

Back