• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sports The Football Discussion Thread!

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    Yup, December/January time was when when it started looking very likely. Probably why it doesn't hurt as much as the other two relegations I've witnessed. The one thing that is different though is the feeling that it was all very avoidable, a spine of Ruddy, Bassong, Turner, Fer, Howson, Tettey and Hooper should not have gone down. Let us hope that the board have learned something this time, the way they kept on with Hughton was eerily similar to the situation with Worthy.

Next up manger appointment, not sure who I'd want to be honest.

Years
    Also I have no why I used "us" there. Fail.

Fun Fact: Norwich City is the only English team that beat Bayern Munich at their old home turf Munich Olympiastadion.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    Looks like it's going to Atletico (or even Barcelona) unfortunately then. I hope Ronaldo is alright for the CL final.

I hope he (and Di María and Pepe) get fully back to form on the 25th :D

Also, two draws and the league is ours.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    The Goss goal in that game was great.

Before my time though obviously.

So the best games in club football are underway with Derby getting an away win at Brighton. Super Chrissy Martin continues to bang them in, can't say I saw that coming when he left Norwich to be honest with you. Brighton fans leaving at 85 minutes though was pretty disgusting, I hope this is last we see of them in the play offs for a while.

Wigan vs QPR tomorrow.

------

Malky Mackay settles his beef with Cardiff just as Norwich get relegated. That is some spooky timing.

So him as manager with Adams, who has said it would be hard to go back to coaching kids, as first team coach. Might as well throw in Craig Flemming, Iwan Roberts and promote Darren Huckerby from academy coach for the ultimate sentimental package.

Last edited:

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    And goodnight Vienna.

The Football Discussion Thread!

In fairness, that was a pretty sweet goal!

From what I heard it was a comfortable win for Sunderland, West Brom barely showed up, and only really made a contest of it once they were 2-0 down. Quite how Sunderland have managed to pull themselves safe with a game to spare after being seven points adrift with six games to go (and baring in mind the fixtures which were included in those six), is quite remarkable, but credit goes to Gus Poyet and the players. Apparently the atmosphere in the final 10-15 minutes at the Stadium of Light was something else.

Norwich will bounce back, so long as they appoint the right man. A Di Matteo rather than an Owen Coyle, for example, someone of that ilk.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    No chance Di Matteo would come to Norwich now we've dropped to the Championship. If he did go to the Championship I'd imagine it would be a Fulham or QPR, although it seems Magath won't be jumping ship and old twitchyface could quite possibly take them up.

It will be the cheap Adams or the safe option in Mackay. Although maybe West Brom or Villa might fancy Malky with Pepe Lel and the Messiah looking like their time might be over soon.

Other often popular names would be Zola, Howe and Sherwood. The one good thing about being relegated is the fact that our chance of taking Neil Lennon from Celtic dropped to pretty much 0.

If we keep R.Bennett, Turner, Howson, Tettey, Hooper and Beccho then we'll have a shot at doing well next season. I believe Turner and Tettey are out of contract in the summer, both could probably get contracts for the newly promoted sides and Tettey could probably go better still. Not looking forward for seeing the backs of Snodgrass, Fer, probably Ruddy, Bassong and others. Well, Bassong not so much after his showing this season. Bit of a thing with him, one good season and then relegation.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    Was a pretty crap final day really. Glad Liverpool didn't win it though.

Norwich going down with a whimper pretty much confirms Adams won't be in charge next season.

Now for the best game of the day. Edit - Striker Norwich let go of on a free gets his 25th of the season as Derby demolish Brighton. Really hope they go up.

Last edited:
    Years
    Atletico Madrid 1-1 Malaga
    Elche 0-0 Barcelona

Looks like it's going down to the wire between Atletico and Barca, then. Real Madrid haven't managed a single win since their 4-0 win against us.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    Norwich official statement: New manger to be named within a week.

Please don't be Adams.

It'll be Mackay, right? Or Warnock? or Zola?

Zola would be a funny one. Considering we have fans that think formations are defensive or attacking I think they'd have a heart attack when they saw three central defenders lining up.

Years
    Well congrats to Man City, but it was a pretty sure thing before they even kicked off really.

I'm worried about how Barcelona have got into this position for the final game, I really don't want them to win that title. Real are just embarrassing themselves now.

As for the QPR financial situation, that's why I really hope they don't go up. They don't deserve it if they can't do it automatically with that kind of money and more importantly they'll have to scale back next season or face punishment which makes things easier for everyone else.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    Yup. Initially wanted them out of the league because I thought they'd be the most difficult but these Derby and Wigan sides look so much better.

Not that I think we'll be challenging. Midtable at best, especially if we go for Adams.

Years
    Well if any of the relegated teams are going to bounce back, I think Norwich are most likely to do it. I can see Cardiff and Fulham throwing money at it and failing like almost every team that throws money at this division. It should be another really close season like 12/13 in the Championship next year.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    Norwich could have a pretty huge rebuilding job on though.

Spoiler:

Don't think it'll be a particularly nice summer for me.

Years
    Well some of those don't sound too hard to replace, Garrido/Whittaker don't sound too important and anyone could probably be better than Elmander & RvW. Hopefully it isn't too much change in the end.

I'm surprised to see Oscar Garcia has attempted to resign, that might set Brighton back a bit now they have a good framework to consistently challenge for playoffs/promotion.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    I despise you Willy Caballero.

Oh well. It will feel so good to win it at the Camp Nou after Barcelona are unable to score for 90 minutes.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    Garrido and Whittaker are pretty good, I suppose Norwich will be a financial position to poach some decent cover though. If Turner doesn't renew we'll only have 1 first team player in that position which is slightly worrying.

It's certainly surprising, I wonder if it's a case of him thinking this is as far a she can take them. Whilst they have decent facilities now and some decent players their back line is aging and their midfield isn't particularly strong, I believe Crofts will be off after doing his cruciate ligament earlier on in the season. Without some pretty deep investment in the squad I'm not sure they'll recreate the success of the last 2 seasons next time.

The whole manager situation could get a whole lot more interesting if West Brom and Villa sack theirs. I wonder where Hughton will end up.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
    Pretty excited about the upcoming world cup squad announcement. Super excited to see Shaw and Lallana definitely in there, just waiting on official confirmation on Lambert. I put a bet on Lambert and Lallana to make the 2014 world cup squad in 2012 and I'm in line for a 3 figure payout if so.

Back