• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Generation Five Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mujahid

Sir Froakie is impressed.
    Years
    No they were not, im sure of it! The Gameboy colour and gameboy are two different consoles. Gold and silver were made for the gameboy colour, the sprites, features etc would not work for the gameboy :\ Its like saying platinum can work on a gba :\ The carts are different as well!

Believe me mate...when i say it works, it does...my first gold was on GB only..and as myles said,GB and GBC are pretty much the same with a few differences like DS and DSi

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    No....!!! Gameboy colour is not like the dsi and ds...!!!!
    The gameboy colour was the successor to the gameboy as gameboy advence was the successor to the gameboy colour!!! Ive looked some things up, the carts are the game as red, bue etc. But the gameboy colour is a whole different system to the gameboy...
    Also, if you look up the nintendo handhelds gameboy and gameboy coliur are under there own titles and the ds, ds lite and dsi are all under the title nintendo ds :\
    ANOTHER THING, gameboy colour DOES have a different cart to gameboy so they cant fit into a gameboy and i think gold and silver must have been made for gameboy but they just slapped the work "colour" onto the cover because the gameboy colour can support it... (maybe im going too in depth? :S)

Last edited:

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    The Sevii Islands are based on the Izu Islands south of Tokyo; they're not Okinawa.

The Generation Five Speculation Thread

^Those islands.

I want to see China actually... I wonder how Shanghai and Hong Kong will appear in a Pokemon game... that'd be cool. :) The jungle in Brazil would be interesting too!

If they're going for 1000+ pokemon, they'd definitely have to expand out of Japan. I hope they don't goto some lame place like Taiwan or South Korea .... :< Although those are likely thanks to their proximity to Japan.
    I've thought about that as well. I'd really like to see them go to other countries; not only as influence but also in the games instead of "regions". They can only use so much of Japan for so long, they'll have to expand eventually.

Nintengod

Elite Battler &amp; Contest Master
    Years
    So they have been confirmed for the DS, eh? Are you people sure it will be a gen 5 game :\ ? It may have been said its a RPG but it could just be a hoenn remake or somthing, maybe a new region but no new gen 5 pokemon (except maybe zoroark and zorua events or somthing?)... Though, I guess it would make more sence its gen 5 but every gen of pokemon has had its own console :\
    Gen 1 = Gameboy (nintendo handheld Gen 1)
    Gen 2 = Gameboy colour (Ninetendo handheld Gen 2)
    Gen 3 = Gameboy advance (Nintendo Handheld Gen 3)
    Gen 4 = Ds (Nintendo Handheld Gen 4)
    Ya see? It just wouldnt be very traditional... or nostalgic? But, it is the DS's 5 year anniversary so maybe gen 5 will um, celebrate that?

The Art director of game freak said and I quote: "This is a new rpg in the main series with a new region and many new pokemon. We're also being creative and reinventive, you won't believe you're playing a pokemon game"

Esmas

General
    Years
    I've thought about that as well. I'd really like to see them go to other countries; not only as influence but also in the games instead of "regions". They can only use so much of Japan for so long, they'll have to expand eventually.
    That's a good idea. I'd like to see them go to the Philippines, since it's got so many islands, it's tropical and beautiful.

The Art director of game freak said and I quote: "This is a new rpg in the main series with a new region and many new pokemon. We're also being creative and reinventive, you won't believe you're playing a pokemon game"
    That's sounds interesting...I wonder how that'll be?

Beco

That guy...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2012

Creative and reinventive, here are some wild guesses on what that could be:

- 3D battles in which you actually take control of the Pokémon, making it more of a fighting game (Mortal Combat with Pokémon). (Unlikely)
    - Travelling through all known mainserie regions in one game. (Even more unlikely)
    - A dark, serious story which is not just a repetition of the four generations before it, with some good plot twists and rivals that are involved in the storyline. (The most unlikely of all :p)

Maybe they'll make another big change to the game mechanics. I think a change in the amount of Pokémon you can carry around would have a rather big impact, and I read somewhere, I think Bulbapedia, that they once were planning to do this for RSE, so it might not be that unlikely.

I'm also guessing that there will be more 3D effects in general. Maybe even a completely 3D game, though I'm not sure if a game as big as Pokémon could be turned into a 3D game for the DS.

demonmike

Missing-Nin
    Years
    No....!!! Gameboy colour is not like the dsi and ds...!!!!
    The gameboy colour was the successor to the gameboy as gameboy advence was the successor to the gameboy colour!!! Ive looked some things up, the carts are the game as red, bue etc. But the gameboy colour is a whole different system to the gameboy...
    Also, if you look up the nintendo handhelds gameboy and gameboy coliur are under there own titles and the ds, ds lite and dsi are all under the title nintendo ds :\
    ANOTHER THING, gameboy colour DOES have a different cart to gameboy so they cant fit into a gameboy and i think gold and silver must have been made for gameboy but they just slapped the work "colour" onto the cover because the gameboy colour can support it... (maybe im going too in depth? :S)

I owned Gold and Silver for the gameboy, and I can vouch that these games did indeed work for the original gameboy.

Without going in depth into technical specifications, many games were cross compatible, you could play on a gameboy console, but when played with a Gameboy Colour, you got the game in colour etc..

Gold cartridge, notice the little notch in one of the upper corners? That shows its compatible with the gameboy, as when you flicked the on switch, a piece of plastic would come out and secure it in to prevent being yanked out.

Crystal cartridge. The notch is gone, meaning you CAN insert it into an original gameboy, but it'l block the piece of plastic so it wont turn on. Even if you got rid of the plastic, it'l display a message stating it is incompatible.

Nintengod

Elite Battler &amp; Contest Master
    Years
    Creative and reinventive, here are some wild guesses on what that could be:

- 3D battles in which you actually take control of the Pokémon, making it more of a fighting game (Mortal Combat with Pokémon). (Unlikely)
    - Travelling through all known mainserie regions in one game. (Even more unlikely)
    - A dark, serious story which is not just a repetition of the four generations before it, with some good plot twists and rivals that are involved in the storyline. (The most unlikely of all :p)

Maybe they'll make another big change to the game mechanics. I think a change in the amount of Pokémon you can carry around would have a rather big impact, and I read somewhere, I think Bulbapedia, that they once were planning to do this for RSE, so it might not be that unlikely.

I'm also guessing that there will be more 3D effects in general. Maybe even a completely 3D game, though I'm not sure if a game as big as Pokémon could be turned into a 3D game for the DS.

This is indeed possible, if they used graphics slightly toned down from stadium. Cel Shaded could make them look better. Plus it looks fine since smaller screens give that illusion.

Years
    No they were not, im sure of it! The Gameboy colour and gameboy are two different consoles. Gold and silver were made for the gameboy colour, the sprites, features etc would not work for the gameboy :\ Its like saying platinum can work on a gba :\ The carts are different as well!

No he is right. I have an original Gold version in my gameboy advance as we speak. It most definately has the notch at the top that gameboy games used.

Years
    Here are my guesses for what GF's new "creative" ideas will be.

• Real-time: GF has done some pretty stupid things.
    • New Overworld: Maybe it'll be in 3D, or ow sprites well be less... Chibi...
    • Minor Pokemon Redesigns: It's possible.
    • Character Customization: I hope it's this.
    • New Story: It's probably this.
    • It's all a bluff just to get attention: There's an even a better chance it's this.

Last edited:
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jun 7, 2015
    I reckon the game will be completely 3D except possibly battles. Possibly have similar graphics to the Zelda DS games and maybe 360 degrees of movement rather than just left/right/up/down.

Hopefully character customisation will be included allowing us to design our own character. This will definitely help online integration since we'd all have our own design rather than being clones.

They could perhaps add some Pokemon customisation too, possibly allow us to add things like ribbons etc that could show up in battles too? Not sure exactly how that would affect how sprites and all that operate though.

I reckon we'll still have 8 badges to collect, but the entire Pokemon League will change to be more of a league; proper tournaments and whatnot. Keep the Champion for an epic final showdown though.

As for story, obviously keep the whole goal of being a master, but definitely change the whole beginning please. I'm bored of starting in my room and all that. At least RSE actually tried something different. I say bring back Team Rocket too, and let them have their normal outfits. I don't want goofy outfits and silly executive names. As for their role, I'm not entirely sure. I also want more cutscenes; stuff that actually shows off the story.

Keep legendaries to around 5 also. RSE and DPP have a ridiculous amount of legendaries.

Years
    Side scroller. Like Mario. [/shot]

Pokemon Ranger style graphics with 8-way movement. Some cel shading perhaps.

I think 3D too big a leap at this point. It works well enough for those stadium games for console though.

Other Gen 5 threads on other forums are getting kinda funny.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back