• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen The GHOST

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Do you remember that ghost that you see in the Pokemon Tower in Lavender Town? If you don't have a Silph Scope, the only thing you would see is this particular ghost:

latest

The ghost won't harm you, but your pokemon will be afraid on attacking it, as the Ghost will repeatedly tell you to "Go away...". When you actually get the Silh scope, you can encounter actual ghost-type pokemon. Reaching the end of the Pokemon Tower, and if you have a Silph Scope in hand, you'll see the ghost again, but this time it will turn into a Marowak.

So, what did you think of this... ghost? Did this turn into a tragic setting for you? Did you try battling it? Did you try catching the Marowak? Feel free to share thoughts!

Years
I remember that ghost scared me as a child only because I read so many creepypastas. (Namely Pokemon black and lavender town syndrome, I was like 8 at the time)

Iria Animi

Innocent Trainer
Years
I was feeling really strange when I first encounter ghost.Yeah I remember I even tried to catch it but it was always failing.

Cool_Porygon

Lurking in the shadows
Years
Yeah that was a bit creepy, until you get the scope and find they are gastly and haunter. It always got sad when the topic of Pokemon dying came up, quite dark for a game like this.

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
The song in the tower was worst than the ghost imo...
I thought the ghost looked cool and I wanted one. Marowak is my favorite Pokemon and I lost too many Pokeball there :(

blue

gucci
Years
It definitely spooked me as a kid, and for a while, I couldn't figure out how to get around it! Lavender Town is a creepy place and that really did add to the eerieness.

Years
The ghost sprite freaked me out when i was a kid
And i thought what is this Pokemon why isn't it in my Pokedex? i was relieved to find out that it was just a normal pokemon and not a ghost
I did try to catch the Marowak But when i saw that it couldn't be caught no matter what i just gave up and knocked it out.

Last edited:

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Gave me a surprise at first as a kid too; and yeah, got more concerned as it repeated "go away..." then it started to shout so I ran, aha.

Definitely one of the darker moments in all of pokemon. ;v;

Years
The sprite itself was spooky, but it didn't help that I then did a lot of research on it. (I say I did research, but I just read a lot of creepypasta and scared myself even more.) I was always fascinated by the Lavender Town Syndrome, the White Hand and Buried Alive creepypasta. To me, it just leaves so much to think and to wonder about.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
I wasn't scared of it-- I was just superbly frustrated at how I can't attack it, I kept trying to attack it until my cousins helped me with it.

Then, I was very young and dumb. HAH.

Guest123_x1

During my very first time in the Pokémon Tower in Yellow, I kept wondering why I couldn't get any attacks in with the ghost encounters, until I detoured to Celadon City and infiltrated the Rocket hideout.
I also couldn't get why the ghost mother Marowak kept dodging my PokéBalls. In fact, I kept trying in not just my first playing in Pokémon Tower, but in some later playings (including Blue) as well.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Lavender Town always scared the hell out of me. The ghosts sure didn't help d:

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
Years
I remember being really creeped out by it. I was confused because I thought I knew all the Pokemon but here was this Ghost that I didn't recognise. When I did use the Silph Scope, I remember trying to catch the Marowak and then being really annoyed that it kept avoiding my Pokeballs so I just kept trying and trying to no avail.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 15, 2017
Yes, the ghost and Buried Alive (is that even real???) I personally avoided the ghost as i was afraid it was like a virus put in there by a rogue programmer and it would infect my Game boy or something XD
Kinda off topic, but do you think Missingno has a meaning, or it is really just a "programming quirk"

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
Years
I was annoyed when I first tried to go through Pokémon Tower because I didn't have the Silph Scope, so I couldn't attack anything and then I got stuck at the Marowak. I was never scared of it though, just annoyed and unsure what I was supposed to do.

Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2019
I was never scared of the Ghost, only wondered why I couldn't attack it.

Then when I arrived on the undetected ghost of Marowark I didn't knew what to do and quit to continue

Only after reaching Celadon City and the Rocket Hideout I could defeat it.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Talk about scared shitless. Let me preface that despite Yellow being my first game at age 6 or 7, I lost the game before even getting past Brock. So the first time I really played gen I was in 2004. And holy shit when my Jolteon was too terrified to fight this thing omg. I literally screamed and lmao it pissed my babysitter off so much. I had no clue what to do because I couldn't fight these things and both my Pokemon and I were scared. RIP...

I would be lying if I still didn't get a twinge of fear when I see those ghosts, coupled with Pokemon Tower's eerie music, but I know better than to go head first in there without getting the Silph Scope first.

Palmer-Granate

The Champion Jester
Years
That was a surprise, even realizing that 'GHOSTS', not ghost pokemon, but sprite that'll tell you to take off. It was an odd moment indeed. Seeing as I'd be taking on Giovanni anyways, no harm in letting a retreat slide. (And, BOY, did I want to advance then.)

As a Dex enthusiast, I tried at one point to catch dead Marowak, but, it kept proving unsuccessful, so I restarted (due to wasted balls) and KO'd it, usually using the Bulbasaur/Squirtle line.

What an odd concept, forcing your first match w/ Giovanni to advance through Lavender Tower. (And, ultimately, Silph Co + Fuschia.) Well done, GF.

Back