• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] The Glacial Gathering: Ice Types Fanclub

Years

• Rate the mon by whatever standard you want. You can just rate them by design (might be hard for Clever though), or based on moves/abilities they have etc.

For each of the categories you'd say which rank the mon would have: Normal Rank (bad/dislike), Super Rank (meh/okay), Hyper Rank (Good), and Master Rank (Great/Amazing).

Next up for this week's Rankings:

Rotom Frost
    Spoiler:

Beauty:
    Clever:
    Cool:
    Cute:
    Tough:

Vanillite
    Spoiler:

Beauty:
    Clever:
    Cool:
    Cute:
    Tough:

Vanillish
    Spoiler:

Beauty:
    Clever:
    Cool:
    Cute:
    Tough:

Vanilluxe
    Spoiler:

Beauty:
    Clever:
    Cool:
    Cute:
    Tough:

Snom
    Spoiler:

Beauty:
    Clever:
    Cool:
    Cute:
    Tough:

Frosmoth
    Spoiler:

Beauty:
    Clever:
    Cool:
    Cute:
    Tough:

Own Rankings;

Spoiler:

Years
  • Weekly rankeronis :3

Rotom Frost
    Beauty: Hyper
    Clever: Master
    Cool: Master
    Cute: Super
    Tough: Hyper

Vanillite
    Clever: Super
    Cute: Master
    Tough: Normal

Vanillish
    Beauty: Super
    Cute: Hyper

Vanilluxe
    Clever: Hyper
    Tough: Master

Snom
    Beauty: Master

Frosmoth

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • FROST ROTOM
    Beauty: Normal
    Cool: Super

VANILLITE
    Clever: Normal
    Cool: Normal

VANILLISH
    Cute: Normal

VANILLUXE

SNOM

FROSMOTH

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    Rotom Frost

Vanillite

Vanillish
    Cool: Hyper
    Tough: Super

Vanilluxe

Snom

Frosmoth

Years
  • I'll be dropping off my answers in the next few days. <3 Excited to rate my bby Snom fufu.

Curiously, has anyone been playing Legends that has an ice type on their team atm? I picked up a Walrein today that I'm pretty eager to use!

Years
  • I haven't started yet, want to finish my BDSP dex first ^.^
    Literally just waiting on 2 swarm mons to show up one of these days lol

Years

• Getting near the end now.... second last of these =3

Rate the mon by whatever standard you want. You can just rate them by design (might be hard for Clever though), or based on moves/abilities they have etc.

For each of the categories you'd say which rank the mon would have: Normal Rank (bad/dislike), Super Rank (meh/okay), Hyper Rank (Good), and Master Rank (Great/Amazing).

Next up for this week's Rankings:

Dewgong
    Spoiler:

Beauty:
    Clever:
    Cool:
    Cute:
    Tough:

Lapras
    Spoiler:

Beauty:
    Clever:
    Cool:
    Cute:
    Tough:

Articuno
    Spoiler:

Beauty:
    Clever:
    Cool:
    Cute:
    Tough:

Glaceon
    Spoiler:

Beauty:
    Clever:
    Cool:
    Cute:
    Tough:

Cubchoo
    Spoiler:

Beauty:
    Clever:
    Cool:
    Cute:
    Tough:

Beartic
    Spoiler:

Beauty:
    Clever:
    Cool:
    Cute:
    Tough:

Ice Rider Calyrex
    (this form of Calyrex is Ice type and it lasts outside of battle so I included it)
    Spoiler:

Beauty:
    Clever:
    Cool:
    Cute:
    Tough:

One more than normal as there were 13 left so I had to do an extra either this or next week ^.^

Own Rankings;

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
  • Another set of weekly rankeronis~

Dewgong

Lapras

Articuno

Glaceon

Cubchoo

Beartic

Ice Rider Calyrex

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • DEWGONG

LAPRAS

ARTICUNO

GLACEON

CUBCHOO

BEARTIC
    Cool: Super (depends on the artwork)

ICE RIDER CALYREX

I'll be dropping off my answers in the next few days. <3 Excited to rate my bby Snom fufu.

Curiously, has anyone been playing Legends that has an ice type on their team atm? I picked up a Walrein today that I'm pretty eager to use!
    I haven't added any to my team yet. Tried to catch a Froslass yesterday but it vanished. Shame Hisuian Sneasel isn't Ice-type because I do plan on Shiny-hunting it.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I have some catching up to do! Let me work my way back through some of our autumn and winter questions.

Is/are there any move(s) you find yourself using often? Any favorite moves?

Ice Beam is my bread and butter. It's 90 base power is quite desirable, and that chance to freeze can also be a pleasant surprise from time to time. Another reason that I like ice beam is because it's a TM/TR, that makes it a widely available option for most Pokemon that are capable of learning ice moves, rather than a rare egg move only a few Pokemon are blessed with. What's most important to me is that Ice Beam is 100% accurate. Blizzard, though more powerful at 110 with higher freeze odds, is just too risky at 70% accuracy, unless your Pokemon is bringing it's own hail to change those odds, like a snow warning Alolan Ninetales.

Ice punch is also a very solid option if you want to run a physical attacker. 75 base power does pretty good damage, might freeze and as with ice beam it's safe at 100% accuracy. It's not quite as strong as icicle crash, but I am much more comfortable with ice punch. I would rather trade of the 10 points of base power in exchange for certainty.

Ice Shard is another one I like when I can get it, it doesn't do much damage, but that priority can sometimes be the difference in finishing off your opponent, and make or break the battle.

How about moves you've never even heard about?

I have never played Let's Go, so I don't think I have heard of the move Freezy Frost, that's exclusive to your partner Eevee, but think it sounds really good. It sounds like a damage-dealing haze, significant damage at that.

Freeze-Dry is an Ice type move that hits Water types Super Effectively. Do you like the idea of moves like this that allow you to hit something super effectively that you otherwise couldn't? Any ideas for other moves like this (for example an Ice type move that's super effective against Ghost types)

I have mixed feelings about moves and abilities that negate the type resistances, and do things like poison steel and poison type Pokemon, or hit water Pokemon super-effectively with an ice move, ground moves that hit flying Pokemon. It's an interesting mechanic, and definitely a powerful weapon to have in your arsenal, but there's the threat of it being overpowered because it kinda breaks the rules of the game. If it's Pokemon with access to few coverage moves then it can be a great option for them, while also not tipping the scales into being completely unbalanced, but should stay rare for a Pokemon to possess, with only a couple capable of learning it by level up, and one or two more by breeding. Moves like freeze dry should not be teachable by other methods like tutoring and TM.

I would be cautious about introducing many more moves like this for reasons mentioned, the game restrictions are important for balance, but for the sake of imagining there could be an ice type move called Winter's Touch, that removes the opponent Pokemon's resistances.

Do you have a favorite PokeBall you like to put your Ice Types in?
    If you think none of the currently existing PokeBalls fit (or just want a ball that works better on Ice Types =3), do you have any ideas for a PokeBall that's meant for Ice types? (you can tweak an existing PokeBall or come up with something completely new =3).

I usually opt for a ball that has the best odds of catching the Pokemon in the particular situation, so they may or may not be stylish pokeballs. However, I like all of the water theme balls with their cool shades of blue, and have a good excuse to throw net balls and dive balls when it's a water/ice dual type.

I would love to have a ball that has an increased rate of success when used specifically against ice types, the way the moon ball works on Pokemon that evolve with the help of the moon stone. I'd call it a chill ball, and give it a clear, icy swirled pattern like a window frosted over in winter, and maybe accent the ball with little 3d ice crystals hanging off like jewels. When the ball opens let vapors pour out of the ball just like how you can see your breath when it's really cold outside.

I also have an idea called a cream ball. I was thinking of making it a ball that has increased odds of catching the ice cream vanillite line specifically, and design it to look like a pokepuff, the supreme pokepuffs you get from top scores in the unlimited games. If it's too unfair to make this pokeball only have higher odds for vanillite then I will consider making it a pokeball that doesn't just help capture this one ice type, but has better chances of working on Pokemon that have a "sweet tooth" this would include vanillite's line, and perhaps the swirlix line and milcery.

Do you have any Ice Pokemon merchandise?

This is a fanmade field Pokemon field guide I have by artist Kari Fry. It's of the Kanto region, but presents the subject matter like a scientific journal with drawings of what Pokemon might look like as realistic animals evolving on our planet, and observations about the Pokemon. This merchandise isn't exclusively ice Pokemon, but I thought I could take photos of the ice types in this book at least for the ice club.

Spoiler:

Don't know how many of us have BDSP, but for those that do: Are you using/going to use an Ice type on your team?

I don't have bdsp at this time, when/if I get it then I would raise either Eevee into Glaceon or Sneasel into a Weavile, if I can obtain them during the main story.

If i'm allowed to rank ice pokemon from previous weeks I'll start at the beginning, and slowly make my way to the latest Pokemon up for judging. I love the idea of contests.

Spheal

Spoiler:

Sealo
    Spoiler:

Walrein
    Spoiler:

Cryogonal

Spoiler:

Eiscue

Spoiler:

I plan on returning, and completing some of the puzzles too.

Edit: Added!

Sneasel
    Spoiler:

Weavile
    Spoiler:

Bergmite
    Spoiler:

Avalugg:
    Spoiler:

Alolan Sandshrew
    Spoiler:

Alolan Sandslash
    Spoiler:

More to come...

Last edited:
    Years
  • Do you have any Ice Pokemon merchandise?

This is a fanmade field Pokemon field guide I have by artist Kari Fry. It's of the Kanto region, but presents the subject matter like a scientific journal with drawings of what Pokemon might look like as realistic animals evolving on our planet, and observations about the Pokemon. This merchandise isn't exclusively ice Pokemon, but I thought I could take photos of the ice types in this book at least for the ice club.

Spoiler:

That Dewgong looks pretty fierce and that Jynx is just 😱
    Looks like a nice book though =3

Years
  • Smoochum:
    Spoiler:

Jynx:
    Spoiler:

Regice:
    Spoiler:

Snover:
    Spoiler:

Abomasnow:
    Spoiler:

Kyurem:

Spoiler:

Galarian Mr. Mime:

Spoiler:

Mr. Rime:

Spoiler:

Ranking Pokemon has been an interesting and different experience, because it's gotten me to take a long look at lots of different Pokemon so that I can give an honest opinion, and think about them from new perspectives. I.e I like this Pokemon's design, but is it actually what you would call beautiful, or is more cute, cool? Or I don't even like this Pokemon's design, but maybe it's a Pokemon that has a typing, ability or knows moves that could should probably count as tough?

What took a little more creativity is judging cleverness. Realistically, all Pokemon are intelligent because they can learn, and follow commands, for club activity purposes though, I looked at unique behaviors the species of Pokemon exhbi does like a complex social structure in the wild, good at making things and finding resources, observing surroundings, hunting prey with strategy etc. I read pokedex entries to help me out. As I was thinking about what Pokemon were like in their native habitats, it gave me an idea for a topic question. I don't think this one has been asked yet.

What ice Pokemon would be cool to have an encounter with?

This question is a little different than who is your favorite ice type, because even though you might like a Pokemon, it might, or might not be a good pokemon for a human to get close to.

My number choice would be Lapras because of it's grace, gentle nature and rarity to see, meeting something so pure and magical would be like being allowed to approach a unicorn. It would be a wonderful companion, Lapras ferries people around the water, and sings, it also possesses extaordinary intelligence, and it can even communicate in our language through telepathy in the Christmas special.

I think Galarian darumaka would be awesome, since they use their breath to make snowballs. Who better to have on your team for a snowball right? They are also good at stealing berries from snover. Maybe I could persuade them to share their haul with me, and we could eat some winter fruit together.

Glaceon I think would also be lovely, it can create powdered snow and also make clouds of glittering diamond dust that float around it. How beautiful!

Any of the sea lion inspired Pokemon like dewgong or spheal I would also be down for an encounter with.

Also which ice pokemon would you never want to encounter?

I would never want to run into Froslass. She is after all a malevolent spirit who murders those who get lost in the snow. She keeps the remains from her kill, and gruesomely decorates the walls with bones from the trail of corpses she leaves. Sometimes this demon even wanders to human settlements up to the doorstep for thrill kills on cold winter nights.

Cryogonal is also evil. It locks up victims with the icy chain on it's body, drags them away, and when it gets you you're never seen again. So I won't be inviting this one to dinner, thanks.

Years

• Final batch of mons for the weekly rankings.... the ones that somehow managed to avoid getting picked by the random number generator all this time.... =p

Rate the mon by whatever standard you want. You can just rate them by design (might be hard for Clever though), or based on moves/abilities they have etc.

Cloyster
    Spoiler:

Beauty:
    Clever:
    Cool:
    Cute:
    Tough:

Delibird
    Spoiler:

Beauty:
    Clever:
    Cool:
    Cute:
    Tough:

Crabominable
    Spoiler:

Beauty:
    Clever:
    Cool:
    Cute:
    Tough:

Arctozolt
    Spoiler:

Beauty:
    Clever:
    Cool:
    Cute:
    Tough:

Arctovish
    Spoiler:

Beauty:
    Clever:
    Cool:
    Cute:
    Tough:

Glastrier
    Spoiler:

Beauty:
    Clever:
    Cool:
    Cute:
    Tough:

There is also a new Ice type regional form now that Legends: Arceus is out. The original mon is also an Ice type, but it has gained a new secondary typing.
    There is now also a Hisuian Avalugg which goes from being pure Ice type to Ice/Rock.
    Including this regional form for thoroughness, even if the game hasn't been out that long yet, so it might potentially be hard to rate.
    Potential spoilers if you haven't seen the mon yet.

Hisuian Avalugg
    Spoiler:

Beauty:
    Clever:
    Cool:
    Cute:
    Tough:

Own Rankings;

Spoiler:

There were also two questions asked by VisionofMilotic that might be interesting to think over =3

This question is a little different than who is your favorite ice type, because even though you might like a Pokemon, it might, or might not be a good pokemon for a human to get close to.

My number choice would be Lapras because of it's grace, gentle nature and rarity to see, meeting something so pure and magical would be like being allowed to approach a unicorn. It would be a wonderful companion, Lapras ferries people around the water, and sings, it also possesses extaordinary intelligence, and it can even communicate in our language through telepathy in the Christmas special.

I think Galarian darumaka would be awesome, since they use their breath to make snowballs. Who better to have on your team for a snowball right? They are also good at stealing berries from snover. Maybe I could persuade them to share their haul with me, and we could eat some winter fruit together.

Glaceon I think would also be lovely, it can create powdered snow and also make clouds of glittering diamond dust that float around it. How beautiful!

Any of the sea lion inspired Pokemon like dewgong or spheal I would also be down for an encounter with.

I would never want to run into Froslass. She is after all a malevolent spirit who murders those who get lost in the snow. She keeps the remains from her kill, and gruesomely decorates the walls with bones from the trail of corpses she leaves. Sometimes this demon even wanders to human settlements up to the doorstep for thrill kills on cold winter nights.

Cryogonal is also evil. It locks up victims with the icy chain on it's body, drags them away, and when it gets you you're never seen again. So I won't be inviting this one to dinner, thanks.

Amaura/Aurorus are number one for this to me. Their mood sails/flap were beautiful in New Snap. I would love to see it up close and personal irl =D
    I'd love to see Alolan Sandslash and Ninetales too, but I'd need to be careful interacting with both judging from their dex entries.
    and ofc Glaceon =3

Froslass for reasons you already mentioned.
    I'll add Glalie to that too though: it freezes it's prey and eats them whole. Sure it prefers Pokemon like Vanillite. But who knows what it will do if it's hungry when I bump into it? I'd rather not end up Glalie food >.>

Crabominable It's violent, does not think things through and will start punching indiscriminately. I bump into one of these and it might just beat me to a pulp.

Years
  • Last of the Rankeronis' enclosed in a spoileroni :3

Spoiler:

Also I missed Sam's questions, very thoughtful ones!

Definitely Spheal, Snorunt, or Snom, or preferably all three~ I'll stay away from the cool yet dangerous looking big boys on this one, and focus on my fave cuties <3 They can help cool me down slightly whenever the summer heat becomes to much haha.

I'm sad to hear that about Cryogonal, as I really like its aesthetic :c But it looks like it's showing up on my list for this question. Others would be, as I mentioned, big scary Ice types like Abomasnow, Beartic, and Crabominable. They'd definitely either eat me or beat me to a pulp irl, so I'd rather not be within their vicinity thank you :p

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • CLOYSTER

DELIBIRD

CRABOMINABLE

ARCTOZOLT

ARCTOVISH

GLACTRIER

HISUIAN AVALUGG

What Ice Pokémon would be cool to have an encounter with? A lot of them would be neat to encounter, but just imagine a floofy Alolan Vulpix showing up at your doorstep! I'm also a big fan of moths and caterpillars, so I'm sure I'd get a thrill out of Snom and Frosmoth as well. I know I was excited when I found a spun glass caterpillar (the closest caterpillar to Snom in my part of the world)!

gOiNivP.jpg

Also, which Ice Pokémon would you never want to encounter? What everyone else said.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Don't mind me, I'm a work in progress, still checking out the rankings from a week or so ago.

Swinub:
    Spoiler:

Piloswine
    Spoiler:

Mamoswine
    Spoiler:

Snorunt:
    Spoiler:

Glalie:

Spoiler:

Froslass
    Spoiler:

Vulpix

Spoiler:

Alolan Ninetales

Spoiler:

Galarian Darumaka
    Spoiler:

Galarian Darmanitan
    Spoiler:

Amaura
    Spoiler:

Aurorus
    Spoiler:

Years
  • Spoiler:

I especially love Arctozolt and Glastrier. <3

Years

• Are there any Ice type Pokemon you think could be used as a starter?
    You can limit yourself to Ice types that already have a line of three, like starters always do. Or you could go with a line of two and add a stage to make it a line of three.

Own Answer:
    Spoiler:

Years
  • Are there any Ice type Pokemon you think could be used as a starter?
    Swinub line perhaps, then just change Pilo > Mamo evo method to just regular level up~ I was also thinking give Snover a pre-evo so it could count, but I'm terrible with naming lol. Snovy? Snopling?

Back