• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Incredibly Wandering Thread V3 ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I really want to write a screenplay. Not sure what of, as of yet, but it's certainly something that's on my 'bucket list'. That's writerly... right?

Archenoth

(cozy)
Years
Archenoth peered over his aviator glasses at the gleaming keyboard in front of him. He pondered for a second about what he should type, it couldn't be too long, but also needed to illustrate his point clearly. It had to be something short and sweet. There was a moment of silence... No movement in the room. Archenoth noticed birds chirping in the background, chirping that he could not hear prior to this serene scene. He glanced out the window. The sun reflected off of his glasses... He had an idea.

His hands moved from their idle positions towards the keyboard....

...He started typing.

darkpokeball

Beware the Chainsaw Meowth 0.o
Years
I was interested in writing...then I just lost the time.
Yeah, I still write a jot every now and then but that's about it.
Stupid time management.

Years
Writing blocks can be a pain; I have them rather often.

The thing that helps me is just taking a step back from what I am writing and go relax. Take my mind off things because anything you force yourself to write, isn't going to be good.​

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
I...I want to write something...something original...but I've already wrote about all my favorite ideas... >:I

So, instead, I will write a crappy poem!

Twisted roses scarred by memories so horrible
Pushed into the darkest corners of the mind
Burned beyond recognition, beyond emotion
Without recognition, roses drifting in the wind.

Fingers prickled by thorns, blood running
A cold chill whispers through the air
Whipping blood red, resentful petals
Malice and envy drifting through air currents, unseen.

Vile thorns not present, but far from gone
For they exist in the emotions running through this night
Wishes of drastic and extreme immeadiete action
The longterm plan, nothing in particular.

Thoughts so nasty they cut through their charades
Wild and uncontrolled, they rage through the wind
Exploring lands and ideas far from home
Not leaving a single negative action untouched.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
^ You should post that in the poetry subforum!
The thing that helps me is just taking a step back from what I am writing and go relax. Take my mind off things because anything you force yourself to write, isn't going to be good.
Hmm... it's different for each person I suppose. Sometimes though forcing yourself to write something of any sort of quality is another way to combat it as once you get somthing going you can have a roll-on effect and the rest will come without forcing. It's less about the fact that forced writing isn't likely to be good and more just getting something done and getting into writing again (and it doesn't have to be writing about what you actually want to write mind - and it could also be something like doing a 'what if...' scenerio or brainstorming). And there's always rewriting/editing. =p

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
Yeah, writer's block is different for just about everyone. Everyone has different problems they want to tackle when they write. Personally, I think it's best to flat out write something. No matter what it is, just do it. I feel like I'm echoing bobandbill, but that's all there is to it really.

Though, for me, time is a big issue. There have been quite a few things that keep me busy so I might get to writing 100 words a day, if I'm lucky now, but that's just on the weekdays. I wish I had more time, but I can't really complain. There's always the weekends to look forward to!

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Just like I'm one of those "ignore writing as much as possible when blocked." I absolutely hate writing when forced (much the same as forcing myself to read). So whenever I don't have any inspiration for my current project, I wait it out a bit, and usually the muse will figure something out for a completely different project.

My problem also is finding time, or even being awake in the mind to write. I do the majority of my writing at night, after I come home from work which pretty much kills any mental process I might have.

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
I agree that writer's block is different on every person. When I get writer's block, I stop and try to think on other things. Because, once I get a story started and going, it's all I want to think about, but whenever I'm blocked all my ideas come out crappy. But I still want to keep writing my story, which is my issue. I try to distract myself, by thinking about other things.

Another way I try to combat being blocked, is by thinking about different stories. Mostly these stories come out crappy, but I can extract the good ideas and implement them into whatever I was writing originally. (Which is more or less what bobandbill and psyanic said.)

TheAmazingAipom

searching for a life :D
Years
When ever I get writer's block, I usually watch movies or play video games to help me get back some creativity and ideas. This always seems to help me get a lot of good ideas for writing.

Kano Shuuya

→ you're here, aren't you?
Years
You know, they say that you can write better when you don't read the work of others too often. o_O I guess that helps you to come up with your own thoughts and ideas, rather than subconsciously basing things in your writing off of something you read elsewhere. Or maybe you're competing with other works less? I've found that I can write fics better, RP better, or come up with comic ideas better when I go for awhile without reading a bunch of fanfics, etc. xD;

Years
I dunno whether I can agree with your claim. I sometimes like to steal and modify ideas from other people and incorporate them into my role playing ability. I don't RP any more though but a few years ago I was involved in a YGO based RP.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
In general, I think reading would help you write/RP/comic/etc. When you first start out, what inspired you to do those things? It was probably seeing an awesome comic or reading a good novel, you know that sort of thing. Reading is the first thing that gets you started. You know, if you read a lot you can really learn things like different narratives, developing characters, etc. So I think that would really help you more than hurting you. Sure, you might be more original if you don't read, but I think overall reading would help, at least when you first write. Afterwards, there's a writing "zone" you'd be in.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
It's not just reading good stories too that can help but also the ones that can use improvement - if you see how someone does something and you feel it could have been better done, keep it in mind if you come across a similar instance when you write something. Giving people reviews in that case helps all the more as you're thinking more about the story you just read, arguably, from a writing viewpoint.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
It's the same with reading other people's reviews for other people's fics as well. You pick up what works/doesn't work for different stories than the ones you're writing and keep that in mind. Same with discussions on writing forums about how things are done.

That's how it was for me. I didn't learn how to write as well as I do (which is a matter of opinion because I haven't posted any writing online in four years) until I started being active in writing communities.

Cid

Years

It's been awhile since I've written anything seriously. A few months back, I could at least tell myself that hey, at least I'm still reading stuff. I just convinced myself that I was simply uninspired to get my own creativity to flow...just as long as I have any left. I hope I do.

*blinks*

But I really feel wonderful and feel like writing right now. I wish I knew much earlier that a lot of people here still write, too. And that's great! I've always thought writing was one more skill for me to brush up upon, something I thought I loved doing for quite some time.

I'd better start writing soon.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Guyyyyyyyyyyys, we need to move the IWT out of here. Writing's great and all (and I mean that seriously; not facetiously) but the IWT is like a shark: it needs to keep moving or it dies and leaves a rotting corpse in the ocean. :(

Back