• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The iPhone is officially late and tired

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
Years
  • There's barely any 3g here in England and now they're releasing 4g phones? Well anyway, even if there was perfect 4g coverage here I would still keep my iPhone for one reason: battery life. Unless there's a massive advancement in battery technolodgy, 4g will only work on netbooks with their big batteries.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Well, I don't think that the iPhone is tired anymore. Following the keynote, and so far, the iPhone 4 (not 4G, but 4) supports speeds up to 7.2 Mbps downstream and 5.8 upstream, 802.11n, Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR, 720p HD video support (this is recording, btw), much longer lasting battery (according to Apple, should hold 40% more power than this iteration), and more.

Quite honestly, the new iMovie interface for it is nice, but I'll be staying with my Macbook thankyouverymuch.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Well, I don't think that the iPhone is tired anymore. Following the keynote, and so far, the iPhone 4 (not 4G, but 4) supports speeds up to 7.2 Mbps downstream and 5.8 upstream, 802.11n, Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR, 720p HD video support (this is recording, btw), much longer lasting battery (according to Apple, should hold 40% more power than this iteration), and more.

Quite honestly, the new iMovie interface for it is nice, but I'll be staying with my Macbook thankyouverymuch.
    The HTC Evo 4G is officially late and tired. C WUT I DID THAR?

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Just like I predicted, the iPhone IS NOT 4G so the HTC Evo slays it.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Cellular access is the only advantage the HTC Evo has over iPhone 4.

I'd suggest you take the time to actually learn about the similarities and differences between the two, because then you won't be so certain that the iPhone is "late and tired." Here's a good overview.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Not necessarily. The iPhone has the edge in word of mouth and hype, and 4G isn't widely deployed yet, so you're not going to notice much performance difference for the first year or so.

I've already used the HTC Evo and I've already seen a big difference in the web speed.

Another thing that deters me from purchasing an iPhone is the fact that you have to be on AT&T. If the iPhone was avaliable for the other major carriers I'd consider.

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • The HTC 4G is so yesterday, everyone's talking about the iPhone 4 now.
    Anyway, it apparently has double the internet time, which means 4 times more than the 4G.

And I think FreakyLocz just doesn't like the iPhone because she can't afford one xD

Last edited:

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    The HTC 4G is so yesterday, everyone's talking about the iPhone 4 now.
    Anyway, it apparently has double the internet time, which means 4 times more than the 4G.

And I think FreakyLocz just doesn't like the iPhone because she can't afford one xD

You can get an iPhone for $99 with a new 2-year but the Evo costs about $199-299 depening on where you get it from and I have the Evo.

So your statement doesn't make sense.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Let's face it; there's about no 4G coverage on any network but Sprint (who has chronic performance problems in my eyes) and even then, it already beats out on the points you mentioned.
    1) We now have video chat.
    2) Mobile hotspots? AT&T's offering tethering services soon, and there is an app for that (you might have to do a jailbreak first, though)
    3) "Full access to Android apps" Yeah, all 15,000 of them. We have 200,000.
    4) "It can store HD movies" If I'm not mistaken, all iPod models can do that. Besides, we now have a camera that records video in 720p HD.
    5) "It can connect to an HDTV and play back movies" I think Apple makes a dock that does that. Besides, isn't that mini-HDMI, which is nonexistant on most TVs without a converter cable?
    6) "4G coverage" Try going just about anywhere that isn't a big city and watch your 4G coverage lose a number.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020

I guess I'll just finish that post off by saying that the Evo is not even 4G. What Sprint calls '4G' is actually a variant based off of WiMAX - wireless technology that has been around for quite a few years now. It's not 'true 4G', so you can't even say the Evo 'slays' the iPhone that way.

The de facto standard for 4G is actually a project called LTE - Long Term Evolution, and is maintained by a partnership consisting of various standards bodies; the main one being the ETSI.

A little research doesn't hurt, does it?

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • I'm considering getting a trackphone, but even those are way more complicated than they need to be. I really don't see anything in the iPhone or any of its competition that I need.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I'm considering getting a trackphone, but even those are way more complicated than they need to be. I really don't see anything in the iPhone or any of its competition that I need.

Back when I had pre-paid I had Virgin Mobile. They have a phone for $10 and I've seen it on sale for $8 at RadioShack. Though their new plans are designed more for texters and web users.

I'd use Net10 over TracFone anyday because of the better rate.

I guess I'll just finish that post off by saying that the Evo is not even 4G. What Sprint calls '4G' is actually a variant based off of WiMAX - wireless technology that has been around for quite a few years now. It's not 'true 4G', so you can't even say the Evo 'slays' the iPhone that way.

The de facto standard for 4G is actually a project called LTE - Long Term Evolution, and is maintained by a partnership consisting of various standards bodies; the main one being the ETSI.

A little research doesn't hurt, does it?

And yes the HTC is 4G. The term "4G" is means 4th Generation. "3G" on the Srpint network usually refers to 1x-EVDO technology. WiMax/LTE is a newer technology than EVDO therefore making it 4th Generation. Yes the technology has been around for awhile now, but it takes time for wireless carriers to set-up their networks to support the technology, and also phone manufacturers to make handsets compatible with the new technology. 3G technology was also around for awhile before wireless networks began implementing it on a large scale.

What constitutes "true 3G" and "true 4G" is subjective. Even the current 3G differs between what GSM and CDMA networks use.

Last edited:

Leader Soulja Boy

Batesville Gym Leader
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Dec 16, 2011
    I have the iPhone 3GS and it's pretty fast. I played with the HTC Evo and it's pretty fast they had the 4G coverage though.
    I'm probably getting the iPhone 4 but the HTC is a nice alternative for Android fanboys.

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2016
    To be honest it's just a matter of time until someone remembers to send a virus intro the Android Market and end the life of a ton of HTC Devices. Their supervision is minimal.

And the support from the Market is laughable at best. Not only they have less apps than the AppStore, but they also don't work with all the phones. The AppStore has that issue but only with phones that are 2 or 3 years-old. Not 4 or 5 months.

Android has a ton of potential. But right now, it's the trend for people who like to go against other trends (iPhone). Just like the Blackberry and the PalmPre once were.

Years
  • Another thing that deters me from purchasing an iPhone is the fact that you have to be on AT&T. If the iPhone was avaliable for the other major carriers I'd consider.
    lol, America and your phone providers. They licence brands for particular networks? I've heard that you get charged for receiving SMSs. Is that true?

Back