• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pekin

Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.
Years
  • Ultimate Bug Monotype Challenge
    Game: SoulSilver
    Badges: 6

After painting the walls with Whitney's Miltank, thanks to Ledian's absolutely terrifying base 55 Sp. Attack stat, I decided to move on. I figured I'd try and catch a Yanma, just to see if I got lucky with its nature - and I did! The first one I caught was Timid, so Yanma will be the final member of my team.
    Outside Ecruteak I found the TM for Shadow Claw, which allowed Heracross to blast through Morty's gym pretty much unharmed. Moving on, I trained for a while to help everyone keep up with Heracross - and Paras evolved! I then did the whole lighthouse thing in Olivine, surfed to that island, where I got some super secret potion and another badge - Heracross did most of the work, but eventually got taken down by Poliwrath, so my newly evolved Parasect had to step in.
    Back at Olivine, it was time for some grinding yet again, because Jasmine absolutely destroyed me, when I first tried challenging her. Second time around, Ledian, Pineco and Heracross took her down in a team effort. Go team! Also, I spent way too much time on Voltorb Flip just for a Wide Lens.

Here's my current team:
    Spr_4h_204.png

Pineco, lv. 30
    Female // Careful // Sturdy
    - Bug Bite
    - Dig
    - Spikes
    - Headbutt
    Spr_4h_015.png

Beedrill, lv. 30
    Male // Adamant // Swarm
    - U-turn
    - Toxic Spikes
    - Pursuit
    - Poison Sting
    Spr_4h_166_f.png

Ledian, lv. 30 @ Wide Lens
    Female // Modest // Swarm
    - Silver Wind
    - Focus Blast
    - Reflect
    - Roost
    Spr_4h_047.png

Parasect, lv. 30 @ Miracle Seed
    Male // Impish // Dry Skin
    - Slash
    - Spore
    - Bullet Seed
    - Leech Life
    Spr_4h_193.png

Yanma, lv. 30
    Male // Timid // CompoundEyes
    - Headbutt
    - Shadow Ball
    - Uproar
    - Pursuit
    Spr_4h_214_f.png

Heracross, lv. 30 @ Sharp Beak
    Female // Jolly // Swarm
    - Rock Tomb
    - Brick Break
    - Aerial Ace
    - Shadow Claw

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • Also, I spent way too much time on Voltorb Flip just for a Wide Lens.
    Parasect, lv. 30 @ Miracle Seed
    I feel you M8. Also, Parasect is bae.

Ultimate Grass Monotype Challenge
    Diamond, FireRed (4/8), SoulSilver, Emerald, White 2, Y (3/8)

Bolded is current, strikethrough is completed, numbers are badge numbers.

UPDATE: I did stuff in Y

FireRed
    Important Events:
    Spoiler:

Team through Tower of Terror:
    Spoiler:

Y
    Important Events:
    Spoiler:

Team entering Gym 4:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Apr 6, 2018
    Username: Obsideon
    Game(s):Firered, Gold, Ruby, Platinum, Black, Y
    Ultimate: Yes
    Type: Bug

I'll start with Fire red. Is it ok if I trade a shiny weedle that I found in another fire red rom it's legit no hacking at all. I know I can catch Weedle and Caturpie right of the bat but I want to use this shiny Weedle and the game it's on is being used for a solo run.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • Ultimate Grass Monotype Challenge
    Diamond, FireRed (6/8), SoulSilver, Emerald, White 2, Y (3/8)

Not much to speak for in Y, but the basic Boss Rush in FR needed reporting. So, here you go!

FireRed
    Important Events:
    Spoiler:

Team upon arrival in Cinnibar:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Apr 6, 2018
    Diamond, FireRed (6/8), SoulSilver, Emerald, White 2, Y (3/8)

Not much to speak for in Y, but the basic Boss Rush in FR needed reporting. So, here you go!

FireRed
    Important Events:
    Spoiler:

Team upon arrival in Cinnibar:
    Spoiler:

Grats on the shiny! Shiny Tangela looks nice in that green! Now if only I could get a reply on whether or not I could trade that Shiny Weedle over so I can use it but if not then I'll do it on a free play run later and just catch Caturpie and a different Weedle though it might be best if I just do Caturpie for that confusion Butterfree or sleep powder/dream eater combo or both! Though I really wanna do a Beedrill cause I have never used it.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Forum User Name: Mudkip!!!
    Pokémon Type: I'll try water
    Challenge Mode: Single
    Game(s): firered

Well, I'm gonna start I guess.
    Day 1: chose squirtle, made it to viridian city and back. did some training along the way. made it back to oak's lab and got pokedex.
    Forgot to name squirtle, I'll do later.

Team:
    squirtle.png
    -Squirtle (Squirtle) Lv. 11 - Item: none
    Male | Naughty | Torrent
    - Tackle
    -Tail Whip
    - Bubble
    - Withdraw

Last edited:

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • Grats on the shiny! Shiny Tangela looks nice in that green! Now if only I could get a reply on whether or not I could trade that Shiny Weedle over so I can use it

Thanks, and I assume so. It isnt like it has any natural advantage over the ones you catch in the forest, which is before the first gym. Just make sure that Weedle's level is lower than that of your highest leveled pokemon. Also, USE A PARASECT. It is freaking amazing. learns a ton of TMs and HAS SPORE. It's big weak point is a lack of Bug STAB (other than the almighty Leech Life), but there should be plenty of that to go around. Now, on to the good stuff...

Diamond, FireRed (8/8), SoulSilver, Emerald, White 2, Y (4/8)

Honestly, Monograss battles are really boring. It's always just sweeping (See Y), being swept (see FR) or Status stall (see FR). Nothing is ever super intense. I don't think both sides have lost a pokemon in a major battle since the SS Anne battle with Blue.

FireRed
    Important Events:
    Spoiler:

Team entering Victory Road:
    Spoiler:

Y
    Important Events (Just a gym and an evo):
    Spoiler:

Team through Gym 4:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Dr. Slavic

Last of the Wailords
    Years
  • Update 3 (FINAL)
    Spoiler:

u8NPKMA.png

My Team
    Joan Jett
    075.png

Spoiler:

Naturally, Joan Jett was the first addition to my team, and up until late game when some of the newer members were added, Joan Jett was a useful Pokemon to the team. I'm sure, had I been able to evolve her further, Joan Jett would have retained her use even up through the Elite Four. She was still a fun choice and was a go to choice to absorb a hit and retaliate with a fairly strong hit. Joan Jett did a little better after getting Earthquake over Magnitude, but she was just a middle-of-the-road member of my team.

Big Boss
    LVP

095.png

Spoiler:

Big Boss was the second member of my team, and was useful for a couple of gyms after getting him. However, Big Boss has the offensive presence of a pebble, and even his defense fell behind when my other members evolved. Unfortunately, Onix is just not a good Pokemon when dealing with evolved Pokemon, and Big Boss was no different. Screech and Sandstorm allowed Big Boss to serve as a kind of support Pokemon, but given the other Rock / Ground types in my team, Big Boss was rarely used late in the game.

Bertha
    112.png

Spoiler:

Bertha was a big improvement to my team after catching her at the Safari Zone. While she was useful, she is smack dab in the middle in terms of usefulness for the team. While not as useful as the next two members, she did much better than the previous ones, and she was useful even through the Elite Four with her Earthquake and Rock Blast. Rhydon's a Pokemon I might try again in the future, as Bertha was both sturdy and a hard hitter. Her typing was somewhat crippling, however, and kept her from reaching true potential.

Bob Frost
    139.gif

Spoiler:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
    I took the one less traveled by.
    And that has made all the difference.

Bob Frost was an impulse choice over getting Kabuto and Kabutops, and I think it was the right choice for my team. Bob Frost, while not invincible, had my highest Special Attack and Special Defense, and added much needed diversity to my team. Bob Frost was my favorite Pokemon to use in this playthrough, and his unique type and moveset helped out in a great many fights.

Pterror
    MVP

142.png

Spoiler:

Aerodactyl is a Pokemon I've not used before, and I was very impressed by Pterror's performance in this run. Just his sheer stats breezed through the game, and his typing was essential against Ground and especially Grass types, and that's part of the reason I did the gyms in the order I did, so Pterror would be around for Erika's gym. Indeed, Pterror played an essential role in almost every boss battle after getting him, and he really made the Rock type easy, and fun, to use, and I would gladly use him in a playthrough again *cough cough*Pokemon X.

Well, I've finished FireRed with my Rock and roll team! As I type this, I've already made significant progress in the next game, Crystal, and will post that when I get another free moment from the stress of finals.

Years
  • Update

So beat the first gym and have three members on my team now and have realised that I am actually really enjoying using grass types. I've just beat Roxanne and am heading off to save Peeko and retrieve the Devon parts from team Magma.

Team
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Apr 6, 2018
    Ultimate Bug Monotype Challenge!
    Fire red 0/8, Sacred Gold 0/16, Ruby 0/8, Platinum 0/8, Blaze Black 0/8, X 0/8!

Bold is current, and crossed out is completed.

Update numero uno!

Spoiler:

Hornet
    weedle.png

IT'S SHINY!!!!
    Spoiler:

Telefly
    Spr_3f_011.png

Spoiler:

I have decided to do Sacred Gold and Blaze Black instead of Gold and Black.

Last edited:

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • Update 3 (FINAL)

AAW MAN, I WAS SUPPOSED TO FINISH BEFORE YOU :(

On that note, I BEAT FIRERED GUYS!

Diamond, FireRed, StormSilver, Emerald, White 2, Y (4/8)

I take back what I said in the last post, E4 battles are ****ing intense.

FireRed
    Important Events:
    Spoiler:

FINAL TEAM:
    3.png

Hazelnut (Venusaur) Lv54 @ Quick Claw
    Male | Docile (Def>Def) | Overgrow
    - Leech Seed
    - Return
    - Sleep Powder
    - Earthquake

Damn this thing was good. Sleep/Seed support was the only reason I came close to beating the E4, and he was the only reason I beat Charizard too. All in all, he was my MVP, and I absolutely loved using him.

47.png

Hydrangea (Parasect) Lv53 @ Miracle Seed
    Male| Lonley (Atk>Def) | Effect Spore
    - Leech Life
    - Spore
    - Dig
    - Giga Drain

I had never used a Parasect before this run, and he surpassed my every expectation. Spore is broken as hell, Dig helped with Magneton and it's out-of-battle usage got me out of sticky situations more than once. And Leech Life is the best move in the game. Problem?

45.png

Rafflesia (Vileplume) Lv52 @ Miracle Seed
    Female | Jolly (Speed>SpAtk) | Chlorophyll
    - Giga Drain
    - Moonlight
    - Acid
    - Sunny Day

This pokemon would have been far more useful if Giga Drain didn't have 5 PP in this gen. Sun support helped on multiple occasions, and she did do damage with said Giga Drain to anything Grass weak, as I gave up a lot of my Grass STAB at the end. Would use again.

103.png

Cashew (Exeggutor) Lv54 @ Lucky Egg
    Male | Relaxed (Def>Spd) | Chlorophyll
    - Psychic
    - Sleep Powder
    - Leech Seed
    - Explosion

AND THEN THERE IS THIS THING. After soloing Koga AND Agatha, I have to give him some credit. Psychic was probably the single hardest hitting move on this team outside of Explosion, which secured the Lance battle too. Again, something I would use in a future run.

114.png
    <- It's Shiny :)
    Aster (Tangela) Lv24
    Male | Gentle (SpDef>SpAtk) | Chlorophyll
    - Absorb
    - Growth
    - PoisonPowder
    - Vine Whip

Suicided a couple times to get Revives off, but basically was just there to look cool.

Ft. EXEGGCUTE the Exeggcute, FIAH the Moltres, and BIG BOY the Nidoking

B2ZR8DX.png

IS0MsGh.png

A WORD OF NOTE: I have changed the Johto game I will be playing to Drayno60's StormSilver. In this case, the pros (a crapton of extra starters, Leafeon before the first Gym, etc.) outweigh the cons (Harder level curve). I will NOT be playing Volt White 2, when the time comes, as the pros (a crapton of extra starters that you can't control, Snivy getting Contrary) are outweighed by the cons (harder level curve). The top of this post has been updated to reflect this.​

Last edited:

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • Yoooooooooo I'm back. Looks like I'm on Ice Mono on DPPt? We'll do Pt. Giving myself a Snorunt as my Pokemon to start with. Onward!

Edit: After (I think) 6 resets I finally got a female Snorunt as my starter. Barry destroyed me with his Chimchar lol. Just got the second badge.

Team:
    Carly the lv. 29 Snorunt (Ice Fang, Bite, Headbutt, Double Team)
    Bidoof the slave: Rock Smash
    Starly the (future) slave

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Apr 6, 2018
    Fire red 0/8, Sacred Gold 0/16, Ruby 0/8, Platinum 0/8, Blaze Black 0/8, X 0/8!

Update numero dos!

Spoiler:

Hornet
    latest

IT'S SHINY!!!!
    Spoiler:

Telefly
    Spr_3f_011.png

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2018
    Ultimate Ground Monotype X Update:
    -defeated Serena in Coumarine City
    -caught Trapinch on Route 13
    -caught Gible on Route 13
    -Gible evolved into Gabite
    -defeated Ramos
    -Hippopotas evolved into Hippowdon
    -Trapinch evolved into Vibrava
    -defeated Clemont
    -defeated Serena on Route 14
    -defeated Valerie
    -Krokorok evolved into Krookodile
    -Piloswine evolved into Mamoswine
    -defeated Serena in Anistar City
    -defeated Olympia

Team:
    Spoiler:

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Squirtle evolved, and I beat Brock!

Team:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Apr 6, 2018
    Fire red 1/8, Sacred Gold 0/16, Ruby 0/8, Platinum 0/8, Blaze Black 0/8, X 0/8!

Update numero tres!

Spoiler:

Hornet
    130px-0,65,0,64-Beedrill_RS_Shiny_Sprite.png

IT'S SHINY!!!!
    Spoiler:

Telefly
    butterfree.png

Spoiler:

Last edited:

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • Ultimate Grass Monotype Challenge
    Diamond, FireRed, StormSilver (1/16), Emerald, White 2, Y (4/8)

StormSilver
    Important Events:
    Spoiler:

Team after 1 Badge:
    Spoiler:

TL;DR: Everyone ready for the return of the Diamond Tri-Weather team? With a pair of Chlorophyll users, Swift Swimmer, and full intent to get another Weather Balling Roserade, I think at least 2 weathers are in order...

Y
    Spoiler:

Team entering Gym 5:
    Spoiler:

TL;DR: Gogoat. That is all.

NOTE: So I accidentally edited this post as my next update, leaving no trace of what happened here. It has been reverted, but there may be some things that are off. Forgive me.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back