• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Film The Mulan Controversy

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Disney's Mulan live action re-make has sparked quite the reaction from people over the world.

Mulan star Liu Yifei's comments supporting Hong Kong police sparked criticism of the film, which quickly led to a call for boycotts among Hong Kong pro-democracy protestors, as well as Thai and Taiwanese activists, among others. The film also drew ire for filming in Xinjiang, a region of China where Uighur Muslims have been detained in mass internment camps. The film has also been accused of being too white behind the camera.

source: https://www.google.se/amp/s/www.vogue.com/article/mulan-reboot-controversy-explained/amp

Have you seen it? Do you plan to, or do you plan to boycott it too?

It honestly hasn't gotten good reviews, about 5 on IMDB last I looked.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    It's true, having seen it, it's a pretty bad movie - I wouldn't recommend it to anyone anyway.

Anyway, this might sound odd, but I... kinda do have a feeling that Liu Yifei sorta *had* to make those sort of comments in regards to China? I don't think it's really a proper representation of her character? Like if you were in her shoes, about to star in a China-oriented style movie, how would you react and do? So, if it's just in regards to her, I wouldn't 'boycott' it per se, but regardless, this isn't a movie I would recommend watching.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I think its because they went more along the lines of real ballard of Ha Mulan rather than the Disney version and that's what people are upset about. We're so use to the Disney versions that we expect the live version to be the same way.

Years
    I would not boycott a movie solely based on an actor or actress's political views. I know a lot of people get really angry over what actors, comedians, writers etc say, but these people have very little ability to shape a country's actual policy, beyond just maybe shining a light on an issue with their presence. Whether Liu Yifei personally is a supporter of the Hong Kong protestors or the police isn't the issue for me.

What is more problematic to me is that Mulan was filmed in the Xinjian region where a million Muslims are being held in detention camps, and Disney collaborated with this government. I don't think we should turn a blind eye to areas where human rights abuses are taking place, and help that government make extra money, just like the Coca-cola factories pulled out of South Africa and singers wouldn't play there while it was under a racist apartheid system.

I wasn't very interested in seeing this movie to begin with since I know that Li Shang was replaced, and there is no Mushu the dragon in this live action adaptation. But now, even if I heard it was really good I would definitely not want to see it because respecting human life has to supercede the potential entertainment value any movie could offer.

Last edited:

Bay

Years
    I think its because they went more along the lines of real ballard of Ha Mulan rather than the Disney version and that's what people are upset about. We're so use to the Disney versions that we expect the live version to be the same way.

Apparently that backfired as there's a Chinese historian on Twitter who's been debunking every historic inaccuracy the live action movie did lol.

I'm totally okay with a few characters not in the live action to be honest. After hearing the movie wasn't great and some of the baggage after, I probably gonna give it a pass.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    See I want to see it but at the same time I don't because Mulan is my favorite Disney movie and I don't want it to be ruined by a live action version.

Years
    I wasn't planning on watching it anyway because I didn't like that they removed Mushu and Shang, as well as the songs, to create a more historically accurate and mature movie. After watching movie reviews and hearing about the political debates about it, I want to watch it even less. However, people will still end up watching it and it will still make boatloads of money.

(This is too bad, Mulan is one of my favorite Disney movies and it stinks that it got butchered like this)

Years
    • Online now
    I wasn't interested in the movie, but reading about the controversy I don't think the reaction for it is surprising.

On the topic of controversial films, I think cuties is horrific. It's the number one streaming service in the world normalizing a pedophilia film, under the guise of sending a message. I can't even look at a scene from that without wincing. If there were one thing I would call for a boycott over, this film would be it. Hearing about events in hollywood also makes me worry for the actors behind the film.

Last edited:
    Back