• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Off-Topic 15 Days Of Winter Challenge

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    The Off-Topic 15 Days Of Winter Challenge

It's that time of year! Winter is here! And to celebrate, with the permission of erik destler, I've cooked up a 15 day challenge full of fun questions for you to answer. I was going to do 30, but the questions were becoming repetitive and tedious, so 15 allows us to really narrow the focus down to some high level questions, and also make sure that it doesn't drag on for too long. Every day I will bold the current question so nobody gets lost along the way.

And hey, if this is a success, there will be one for Spring, Summer, and Autumn as well.

So without further ado, here are the questions! Please answer only the current question, and any you may have missed. No skipping ahead!

1.) What is your favorite thing about the Winter season?
    2.) Do you have a song that reminds you of Winter?
    3.) Do you have a favorite holiday movie?
    4.) Do you have any holiday traditions?
    5.) Have you ever driven around at night just to look at the decorations in your neighborhood?
    6.) Have you ever built a snowman?
    7.) Have you ever gone sledding?
    8.) Have you ever participated in a snowball fight?
    9.) Are you Team Shovel, Team Snowblower, or Team Leave It For Someone Else?
    10.) Are you a scarf person?
    11.) Do you have any New Year's Eve traditions?
    12.) Do you have any New Year's Day traditions?
    13.) Is there anything you do in Winter that you don't do in other seasons?
    14.) Do you have a favorite Winter-related sport?
    15.) What is your favorite snow level in a video game?

Last edited:
    Years
    Righto.

What is your favorite thing about the Winter season?

I'm rubbish at specifics, but let me see...

There is a certain joy in being able to get up in the middle of the night, for the relentless rain drones out everything but the loudest of noises. Therefor I can stumble around in the dark, kick my toe as much as I want, use the loo in peace and totter back to bed without waking a soul up. True freedom.

... otherwise it's the nostalgia. I used to get stranded as a small child because of the rain, and I'd simply have no choice but to stay put, eat peanuts and play/watch games. Possibly for hours. And then there was/is the scent of the place... some call it musty, but I want to bottle it up and wear it as cologne. Add a few peanuts to the mix and you're a stud. But the nostalgia doesn't quite carry you through the darkness, cold, inability to exercise and the bloody electricity shortages.

So the loo bit, then.

Years
    Answering this quickly since I am supposed to be on the road, so...

What is your favorite thing about the Winter season?

Honestly, it's being able to go outside and have a nice day without worrying about having to sweat and deal with humidity. It's the only time in Florida where you can say it feels great to be outside and want to stay outside, and it only lasts for maybe three months out of the year until it gets hot and humid again.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022

It has to be just the general calmness of the nights during Winter. A slight chill in the air, snowflakes falling, maybe some wind. Gorgeous.

Years

Uhm...since I'm not the biggest fan of winter probably the holiday time I get when it's Chinese New Year haha. But as for 'winterness' itself it is nice to be able to wear my lovely coats and jumpers.

Last edited:

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years

I love how everything turns soft and green again. Where I live, at least. There's something nice about the constant drizzling rain in winter; it's especially good for setting the mood when I have the inspiration to write. Sunny winter days are the best, though!

That, and it gives me an excuse to stay indoors and chill. :p

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    1. What is your favorite thing about the Winter season?

Snoooow! And the cold! I love winter so much and cold and snowy is my fave aesthetic. :) I suppose this might change one day when/if I ever have to drive regularly in it but for now, I love it. I love bundling up when I go outside and wearing warm clothes and sitting under a blanket when I'm inside. And I prefer the dark so the short days are nice too. :)

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023

As another floridian i have to say the weather! sooo nice being able to go outside and not immediately want to come back into the AC because it's so humid that it's unbearable with no way to relieve it. at least with colder weather you can throw on more clothing if it's too cold out. nothing you can do when it's hot outside! as someone who loves to swear jackets, sweaters, you name it, i'm always glad to get chances to do so when the weather is colder.

Years

the decorations imo. :> a lot of places become so beautiful, it's almost romantic. lights up everywhere, people putting up decorations (some really go all out here), vibrant public xmas trees, etc. it's really pleasing. =) snow is nice too when i don't have to go outside haha. especially pretty when it just starts falling/piling up.

Last edited:

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years

I have to agree with Sheep. <3 The decorations make everything so festive and neat. Another thing I like is watching my favorite/movies specials during this time. It adds a little more cheer for me and makes things even better. I want to say snow, but I haven't seen it in a long time. :c

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022

It sounds odd, but "Alive" by Pearl Jam does, because we would always play it in Rock Band during our Christmas get-togethers.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years

It is def White Christmas. I was born and raised in Maine, so I was around a lot of it during that time. However, we moved to Arizona because of the climate for my dad's aching joints. So, bye bye white Christmas... :c That's why my favorite winter song is always White Christmas.

Years

I'll leave out Christmas songs in favour of something that makes me primarily think of winter and not Christmas. Gary Jules's version of "Mad World" would be my pick.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years

Snowbelle City's theme captures that winter vibe perfectly! Another song that comes to mind is Snowpeak from Twilight Princess—you really feel as if you're stranded alone in a stark, snowy wasteland.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Easy stuff.

Years
    Rats. Missed one. May I do two at time?

Erm... I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm? Baby, It's Cold Outside? Silent Night? All of the stuff I listened to in front of the fireplace which is actually just a four-pronged heater. Ah, the warm glow of electricity! The burning of your shins! The screams. The bandages... yeah I'll stop talking about that now.

Home Alone 2. Then The Nightmare Before Christmas and Rise of the Guardians. The sweetness of my actual childhood and not this half-life I'm going through now, ahh...

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Of course. You can do any you missed with the current day.

We get together every year for Christmas, sometimes not always on Christmas, and I break out Rock Band and we just jam all night long.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Let is Snow reminds me of how I miss Colorado and that hearing this song in Florida always feels weird does that count

Not really, honestly. I don't really watch holiday movies so I don't necessarily have a favorite.

Real Christmas tree or bust. Family opens presents on the night of Christmas Eve rather than Christmas Day.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023

We don't get snow in Australia but when I have been overseas for winter, I have always adored snow. Maybe I would have a different perspective if I saw it regularly but snow is wonderful and you can make snowmen, have snowball fights etc. In Australia my favourite part about Winter is that it's not 1939392929 degrees anymore and also being able to sit cozily in bed covered in blankets and reading a good book is neat. :D

Yes actually! It's a little strange considering the actual meaning of the song but I always think of winter when I hear Snow by Red Hot Chili Peppers. Also definitely Walking in a Winter Wonderland by Dean Martin. I feel like I'm missing one but if I think of it, I'll throw it in! And maybe it's just because they're called Snow Patrol but even though their songs generally have nothing to do with winter... they kind of give me a Winter vibe in terms of songs I'd listen to during that season?

I can say that I honestly don't have one off the top of my head but that's because I've barely watched any. I really want to watch Home Alone and Love Actually as I feel like those are the types of movies I love but I keep putting it off for some reason. If anyone has some holiday movie recommendations then feel free to tell me and I'll try and get around to them!

Nah, other than putting up a Christmas tree! We always decorate the tree and that's about the only tradition our family has. I guess we also have lobster every year on Christmas, Chinese families love lobster for some reason but it's quite expensive so it always comes out at Christmas. We use it instead of having Turkey or a Christmas ham etc.

Back