• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen The Pokemon OR/AS 'Should-Change' Thread

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
  • Lack of Pokemon:
    I was expecting a lot of Pokemon to be in OR/AS. I found the lack of Pokemon disappointing considering the large amount of Pokemon you were able to find in X/Y. I was pl;anning on getting a Breloom with technician and have Bullet Seed on it, but unfortunately that's impossible because Hopip isn't catchable in the game. It makes me angry too see that most of the Mirage Locations have only 2-4 Pokemon that are catchable when most routes in the Hoenn Mainland have a good 10-12 Pokemon that are catchable, liked route 117. There could have been much more Pokemon added to the Mirage Locations.

Lack of Overworld Pokemon:
    Since the 3DS is capable of doing many grand things, I expected to see much more Pokemon in the overworld. Since the DexNav has a wonderful ability to register the information of the pokemon you're near, it would be amazing to get Dex information like you do in the Anime, without having to catch the Pokemon. unfortunately there is a huge lack of overworld Pokemon, which really was a disappointment. The times you actually get to see a Pokemon in thee overworld, it ends up being a Wingul or a Skitty. I expected to see a huge diversity, not a direct copy from the originals. I do hope they keep the DexNav and that function to get Dex info from a Pokemon in the Overworld.

Free Legendary Pokemon:
    This is something that should always sick as a Post Game thing. Legends should not be obtainable before taking on the E4 or finishing the Main Story of the game. I think instead of giving you Latios/Latias they should have given you the Eon Flute, so that you can call upon Latios to take you to places you've already visited, and have Mirage Areas accessible after the E4

New Timeline?:
    They pretty much established that this remake (unlike HG/SS and FR/LG which replace the originals in the timeline) occurs in an alternate universe or whatever. This pretty much means this game may be apart of the Anime timeline. Happening after Ash's Kalos journey...or during it.

Minor:
    * Some layout are incompatible with the DexNav. Since Bagon is only catchable in a small area that is mostly covered by water, it means you have to surf to make the Pokemon show up. But most of the time when you land on the platform to encounter the Pokemon, the landing causes the Pokemon to run off.
    * The Battle Mansion is a copy paste, and no Battle Frontier.
    * Juan?
    * Less Trick Room Puzzles
    * TooMuchContent 7.8/10

Also..Did anyone else notice the strange error when talking to Phoebe? When she says "The bonds I developed with my Pokemon is Extremely tight." you can notice something strange with the Hero/Heroine

You can DexNav for a Bullet Seed Shroomish, FYI.

And there isn't an error with the protagonist just before the match with Phoebe. This article explains the presence of a ghost girl near the player during the player's first battle with Phoebe.

Anyway, and to keep this on topic, here's something else I thought was disappointing apart from the lack of Battle Frontier: how the lake guardians' availability is so lopsided. To put things in perspective, Uxie is only available from 8-9 PM, meaning you only have one hour to get it. IMO, all three of them should be available at equal times (they can rotate every 8 hours in a similar vein to how the legendary beasts rotate every 20 minutes).

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    Not the game per se, but i would like if free battle could have two options with and without legendaries.

KostK2Boss

Europe Confirmed!!!
    Years
  • I have only a few problems and most of them are just minor nitpicks, because I think the game as a whole is pretty solid:

- Lack of character customization is the big Donphan in the room. I understand that they had to remove something for all the new features they put in. I also understand the need to somehow differentiate XY from ORAS to make it still relevant. If ORAS had character customization as well, they would completely eclipse XY, as they are superior games in every other way. I just hope they don't abandon this feature and that it will become a staple for future Pokemon games.

- The removal of the PR Studio. Am I the only one who actually liked that little feature in XY?

- Some features from Emerald didn't make it, most notably the Battle Frontier and Varrick from the Legend of Korra Juann. It stands to reason though, as they're supposed to be remakes of RS, not Emerald. And the Battle Resort at least still gives us back the Move Tutors form B2W2 as well as being the best place to hatch Eggs in the history of the franchise.

- The story-mode legendaries all have insanely long cutscenes before and after getting them, the worst offenders being Latios/Latias and Deoxys. I know you can faint some of them on purpose and re-challenge them later with noticably less cutscenes, but come on! There's no way GF doesn't know by now that soft-reseting legendaries is a thing that people do.

- This is more of an aesthetic thing, but the music of the Mirage Spot legendaries being the same, un-remixed themes from the respective games they first appeared in would imply that you're fighting the versions from those games. For example, the Entei you're fighting would be the same Entei as the one in Crystal and has somehow traveled through space and time. If that's indeed the case, shouldn't they be the same level you encounter them in those games and have the same moves when you fight them? I know that having a Lv 70 Kyurem before the Pokemon League would break the game, but these games brought us Mega Rayquaza, so screw balance!

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
    Years
  • I have been waiting months for this game to be released (just like most of you guys), and in general, I'm certainly not disappointed. However, I do agree with some aspects others have already addressed about the ORAS games;

The Battle Frontier
    - Yes, of course it would have been nice if the battle frontier would have returned, because this was a huge challenge in the games imo (back in Emerald). I am aware these are remakes of Ruby/Sapphire, but to add some challenges to the games would have been nice, they could have done this by bringing the Battle Frontier back. I am aware Pokemon games are of course for a younger audience, but on the other hand it would have been nice to add some challenges we knew in the good old games for the "Pokemon veterans" among us.

Obtainable Pokemon
    - I kinda like the fact they used Hoenn-only Pokemon in the main-playthrough of these games. When you have all 8 badges though, you will obtain a National Dex (yes, this early, surprised me). You can catch around 3 more different (and not native to Hoenn) Pokemon on certain routes. Also, the Mirage Spots and soaring through the sky are nice, to obtain legendaries and other Pokemon. BUT, on the other hand, they could have considered putting more Pokemon in the game (in the wild) from other regions, since this is Gen.6 after all, and there are over 700 Pokemon known now (so why not use them).

Cosplay Pikachu - Like some others already stated, I too, don't like the cosplay-pikachu idea. They are so overdone to begin with, and they kinda creep me out. And WHY is it only possible for Pikachu to dress up? I know I would not want to use dressed Pokemon in contests, I just prefer to have my own Pokemon in there as they are... I understand this might has something to do with the contest props, like we knew from Gen.5, but still... The Cosplay Pikachu seemed a bit weird to me...

Now, about the last thing that crosses my mind really often; I often read in different threads people share their minds about the lack of customization (Gen.6), roller skates (Gen.6), digging for fossils (Gen.4) and what-not, and why they didn't have a comeback in ORAS. It was pretty clear soon enough, customization would not make a comeback in ORAS. TO start with, EVERY region of Pokemon games had their own "features", remember? To name some, Generation 4 had digging in the underground for fossils and other items, and making an underground-base. Generation 5 had the Dream World (useless now, but still a unique thing in these games), Generation 6 (XY) had rollerskates and the customization. They wanted the trainer-customization to be Kalos-exclusive, don't get me wrong I loved customization too, but on the other hand it is clear these things are bound to certain generations in the Pokemon games.
    Just like we knew in the old R/S/E games; the secret bases, the different bikes, battle frontier (emerald)... They all made a comeback now in ORAS (except BF), we have now the opportunity to make new awesome secret bases, share these with friends, we can Dive again, we can even have the two bikes at once and we also have the new DexNav which replaced the Pokenav/Pokeradar, but still an awesome (new) feature.

These features come and go I suppose, or get a nice (improved) comeback in remakes like these, but these are what makes some Pokemon games/generations unique. We get tons of new features in each game, so just be happy with what we've got. :) If you want to customize your trainer or dig for fossils, you still have something to enjoy in the "older" games!

Years
  • - Lack of character customization is the big Donphan in the room. I understand that they had to remove something for all the new features they put in. I also understand the need to somehow differentiate XY from ORAS to make it still relevant. If ORAS had character customization as well, they would completely eclipse XY, as they are superior games in every other way. I just hope they don't abandon this feature and that it will become a staple for future Pokemon games.

Over 400 Pokémon in the Kalos Dex before beating the game begs to differ.

And although everyone here has mentioned the Battle Frontier, I never really cared about feeling a need for it to return...at least until I read Masuda's jarring response on why it didn't come, and now it may never return. And since (it was stated in another thread) that the average XY player was around 20, that should tell them something for their future projects!

KostK2Boss

Europe Confirmed!!!
    Years
  • Over 400 Pokémon in the Kalos Dex before beating the game begs to differ.
    Ok. Fair enough. In ORAS you do fight nothing but Zigzagoons, Wurmples and Poochyenas up until the second Gym. I didn't think about it, because frankly I don't care that much about Pokemon variety over other aspects of the games, but I understand that some people do care about it.
    I still think, though, that if ORAS had all the features it currently has PLUS character customization, then there would be no reason to go back to XY. So, in a strange way I'm also glad they didn't put it in, 'cause then people who bought XY might have felt like they were ripped off.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    I think it is ridiculousbto have suddenly 20 diff pokemon in one patch of grass after the deoxys episode. If it was left to me then you could have left the original rse pokemon in like in rse . for foreign pokemon i would have been fine with a daily changing safari zone instead.

Years
  • ^ Come again? Because i'm not really getting which post-game area you're referring to, because it's not the Battle Resort or any one of the Mirage Islands.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Gym leader rematches, give a ribbon for every contest rank like the older games, different battle frontier-esque area.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    ^ Come again? Because i'm not really getting which post-game area you're referring to, because it's not the Battle Resort or any one of the Mirage Islands.

Just the pokemon spread. For example the patch of grass just outside the bike path towards slateport.(or any other patch of grass that all off a sardine seems to house a whole region...)

and a daily changing safari would be cool similar to soul silver safari zone. Not the failure that was friend safari.

Years
  • Gym leader rematches, give a ribbon for every contest rank like the older games, different battle frontier-esque area.

I do agree, the Gym Leaders' teams are shown in the Trainer's Eye of the AreaNav but you can't rematch them unlike the regular trainers on the routes. Also, I do agree about the lack of getting a ribbon on every contest rank, I like having proof I won in a contest but nope they only give you a ribbon if you win the Master Rank which is really disappointing.

At least winning contests allow you to talk with NPCs and get some nice items, including berries.

accursed

Dragon Breeder
    Years
  • As far as legends go, it was mentioned in another thread, but some people think one of the reasons almost all of them are available here is so they can be used in VGC tournaments, which require Pokémon obtained in XY or ORAS, none from the DS games. (That and it aids in letting the newer players complete the Pokédex without having to transfer.)
    Not just newer players. I haven't been able to complete the pokedex since r/b s/g/c. Too many legiondaries released in japan only or so rare that people want unrealistic things for them. like this one guy who managed to get his mew from r/b (iirc mew was only released in my country once and that was right before the original launch of g/s) and wanted a shiny palkia for it. i tried resetting my perl game right before palkia fight and after about 200 resets i gave up on a shiny one. And now they have this new item that increases your chances of breeding a shiny poke, but only those who manage to complete the p.dex can get it. This would be the only time i would consider using a game shark.

Years
  • Well, another alternative to that is that you could always transfer said legends from previous games if you were willing to part with them (which, to be completely honest, I did with a few of the ones I have yet to get). And this doesn't really need mentioning, but there's the fact that most games don't require event Pokémon for completion.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    HGSS had the best bottom screen layout design

Being able to toggle running
    Not having to navigate through an extra menu to use field moves
    (Heck, where's "This cave is pretty dark, would you like to use Flash? Would make it less of a hassle)
    Having two Key Item slots right there to choose from instead of pressing X then a direction
    (I once used the Eon Flute five times in a row when I was trying to get on my bike)

And there needs to be a Mew event in-game
    We can get Latias, Latios and Deoxys with no effort, yet for Mew, you need to trade it all the way from Emerald...

Years
  • Here's another one I just remembered: why are there so few type-boosting items in the game? Some of them, like I think the Black Belt and the Silver Powder, can't be obtained at all, and there are the plates but they're really hard to get since they're all underwater and you can't use the Dowsing Machine there. So they should have given them all for the separate types...

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • These aren't legitimate criticisms in ORAS, especially the first one since anyone can beat a Pokémon game if they know what they're doing. The real criticism here is still the lack of type diversity, causing the gym leader/Elite Four's rosters to be lackluster. They could've added more Pokémon alongside of the cross-gen pre-evolved/evolved forms to fix this major issue, but they didn't. Don't even try telling me their teams change postgame, because I wanted those changes during the story mode, so my OCD doesn't kick in from this major flaw. It baffles me that the recent gen games get criticized for being too easy because of the rosters but praise the older games for their difficulty, even though the fact that Hoenn's Elite Four are still using mid-evolved forms of their ace Pokémon would've actually made me easier than the newer gens' Elite Four. Because of this issue, I sincerely hope that ORAS doesn't outsell XY, causing Game Freak to give the idea that fans only want enhanced versions of the old games rather than new experiences that fixes the major problem the old games suffered from, which is type diversity.

Good luck with that, as ORAS is already at 9.35 million last time as of January last time I checked compared to XY's 13.5 million sales (though XY's 13.5 is as of the end of December so it may be slightly better). It's alright to complain about the lack of features and species per type diversity (not type diversity as that's something else) but to actually hope that something crashes and burns seems down right petty tbh. (btw as of 2008 FrLg made 11.82 million sales so it seems like ORAS will at least defeat the sales of the originals...and that comparison isn't a bad one seeing how the 3DS has similar sale numbers to what the GBA had at the time. Now if anyone is wonder HgSs sold 12.67 million as of 2013, 10 million of those by July 2010 (4 months after they came out Int) so ORAS will defeat HgSs at this rate as it'll likely hit 10 million this month, 3 months after it's worldwide release, making them the most successful remakes thus far in terms of sales.).

One complaint I have is that the AI isn't as good as Gen V's...they seem to have kept it at Gen VI's easy level. Another one is that they left out the BF and just put in the battle Maison (I rather have the tower with the same modes thank you very much (just for the sake of avoiding copy and pasting)). Also getting the plates is too difficult...

Last edited:
    Years
  • The thing that is annoying me the most right now is Pokemon started in 1996 and it's now 2015 and we still don't have a mass release feature! Why is this not a thing? It takes so much time to sit there and release one by one each pokemon for us breeders. It already takes a lot of time just to hatch all those eggs. I mean seriously. :l

gnmmarechal

Hurricane the Blaziken
    Years
  • I'd like to be able to release eggs. I often get them from trades. Thank god I have Power Saves, so I can just make them hatch and 1 step, and then release them.
    Also, I disliked the copy of the Battle Maison.

Years
  • You know, the mention of mass releasing is something that i've never really thought of, that is something I think should be available because I know what it's like when I get a bunch of junk from Wonder Trade and want to release it but have so much that I need to drop. Not helped when you breed so many things...

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • Copying of the Battle Maison was the largest for me idk about u guys but i miss the battle frontier immensely :(

Also hopefully we can travel to the islands where mew lugia and ho-oh a re id really like to see navel rock!

Back