• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen The Protagonists

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    I love Brendan's redesign in its entirety. I intended to play as him anyways, since he's my favorite protagonist design, but would have been willing to go for May if it seemed worthwhile.

I don't like May's 2D design but it looks fine in 3D. In general I don't like curly hair which is the main reason why I don't like the 2D design. It's part of the same reason I don't like Silver's hair and Morty's hair in their redesigns. It's a pretty minor thing.

I find it kind of interesting how they did the redesign. It's a blending of the Emerald and original designs. Essentially it looks like they took most of their pallet from Emerald but used Ruby and Sapphire as a guide for color placement.

White hair better be accessible >_> That hat can still look like hair.

Years
    well.... the designs kinda make more sense, since you are in a region that's half water, but... ehh... don't really care for them, I couldn't even recognize May at first. though do these new designs make them look older? and will there still be customization?

ALSO, WHAT IS WITH THE MAGMA REDESIGNS!? They look so silly its not even funny, they look like team flare rejects...... at least Team Aqua admins have a Strawhat Pirates vibe with them, so they kinda look cool, but it feels like they took a a more serious take the orignial designs had and made it stupidly childish.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    Have you guys noticed that Brendan and May are making the same facial expressions and poses as their original artwork? I view it as a nice touch.

Anyway, onto their designs in general. Brendan's hair color is changed from black to brown, which is a shame since it's what him and Ethan stand out from the other male protagonists. His new wetsuit keeps reminding me of Nate. I'm really digging May's new outfit; it's even better than her original outfit. I am however curious as to why there isn't a hint of her wearing swimming gear underneath, much like Rosa, seeing as Branden is obviously wearing a wetsuit.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    May to me looks rural while Brandon looks like he comes from a coastal town in terms of their clothes.

I don't think May looks too physically different from her RS and E designs compared to Brendan. Yet May looks more different in terms of clothes compared to Brendan.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
    May looks younger in those clothes while Brendan looks older lmao xD

But I actually like their new designs coz they are now Hoenn-styled finally! Kinda weird at first but atleast its finally fitting :)

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Spoiler:

Does Anyone else notice the brand new ''Mega Ring'' on their hand ???

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Spoiler:

Does Anyone else notice the brand new ''Mega Ring'' on their hand ???

Yeah, these are confirmed to be "Mega Bangles" in Japanese.

It's interesting how we could see the PokéNav on at least Brendan's RS art, but there's no such device to be seen on Brendan or May now. I hope it's just that it's in their pocket! The characters usually show more gear on their person in the art.

blue

gucci
    Years
    Hm, no signs of Pokénav so far. Hopefully this is something that is not worn by the players, but is rather incorporated into the touchscreen similar to the Pokégear.

Years
    Hm, no signs of Pokénav so far. Hopefully this is something that is not worn by the players, but is rather incorporated into the touchscreen similar to the Pokégear.

It's a phone like the Pokegear, but in the originals they had strapped to them in the art. Maybe they plan to show off the Pokenav later. Speaking of the Pokegear I don't think that the Unova players had the C-Gear on their art either.

Last edited:
    Years
    It's a phone like the Pokegear, but in the originals they had strapped to them in the art. Maybe they plan to show off the Pokenav later. Speaking of the Pokegear I don't think that the Unova players had it on their art either.

The C-Gear? I think that was part of the Xtransceiver (which was the watch that Hilbert, Hilda, Nate and Rosa wore on their wrist) but in-game the C-Gear commands took up the bottom screen of the DS. It was also kinda funny that the four Unova protagonists all had a different colored Xtransceiver as well to boot: Hilbert's one was blue, Hilda's was pink, Nate's was red and Rosa's was yellow.

But you know maybe I'm speculating that Brendan and May keep their PokeNav inside their bag this time around. I also like how they made the bag designs look close to the originals, May's belt bag was what made her different from most female protagonists who used a purse or tote bag.

Years
    The C-Gear? I think that was part of the Xtransceiver (which was the watch that Hilbert, Hilda, Nate and Rosa wore on their wrist) but in-game the C-Gear commands took up the bottom screen of the DS. It was also kinda funny that the four Unova protagonists all had a different colored Xtransceiver as well to boot: Hilbert's one was blue, Hilda's was pink, Nate's was red and Rosa's was yellow.

But you know maybe I'm speculating that Brendan and May keep their PokeNav inside their bag this time around. I also like how they made the bag designs look close to the originals, May's belt bag was what made her different from most female protagonists who used a purse or tote bag.

Yeah, also it seems more practical as carrying a large bag around would be trying...

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
    I'm liking the tropical flair for the new designs of Brendan and May. I actually really like both designs. Do I like them more than the original? Eh, maybe. I know I vastly prefer Brendan's Emerald design slightly more. Also, the ribbon on May looks cute, a tad better than the bandana for me, haha. Also, I do like how they added a little green to their outfits as to reference both their original R/S designs with the red/yellow but also their Emerald designs.

Years
    Has anyone noticed that they used Upper case Omega but Lowercase Alpha in the abbreviations for the games on the magazine. Wonder why not Uppercase Alpha...

Anyways I like how their bags resemble their Emerald bags.

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
    Brendon looks like he's 2 years older, and the clothes look like water-hang out style clothes, if that makes any sense. I love May's ribbon with -signature- bow(but miss her bandana), like Brendon's hat. His hair showing is a nice and helpful touch :P Only thing I'm not very fond of, is her shirt. It seems more girly then I though of her as, she appeared like a sporty, prepared type. Her outfit before seemed to center around the biking aspect of the game(as Hoenn was very much about the travel/journey for me), so it sort of lost that cycling-clothes look she used to have. Her top does seem a little plain so that might mean, outfit changing like in XY? I'm So, SO glad they kept Brendon and May though <3

Years
    Brendon looks like he's 2 years older, and the clothes look like water-hang out style clothes, if that makes any sense. I love May's ribbon with -signature- bow(but miss her bandana), like Brendon's hat. His hair showing is a nice and helpful touch :P Only thing I'm not very fond of, is her shirt. It seems more girly then I though of her as, she appeared like a sporty, prepared type. Her outfit before seemed to center around the biking aspect of the game(as Hoenn was very much about the travel/journey for me), so it sort of lost that cycling-clothes look she used to have. Her top does seem a little plain so that might mean, outfit changing like in XY? I'm So, SO glad they kept Brendon and May though <3
    Exactly my thoughts. May to me came off as an athletic tomboy, not a cutsey ditz as the ribbons suggests now, kind of tired of that being the female archtype in anime. Maybe if that ribbon was at least not so in your face but off to the side like Dawn's scarf maybe I'd see the summer appeal but... not how it currently is. My problem with the ribbon is that it looks childish, like something a 4-year old would wear, when clearly May is a lot older than that, I need to see some maturity in someone supposidly saving the world and beating the elite 4. I cant take her seriously if she cant fit the part shes supposed to live up to. For Brendan, the wetsuit works because it makes him look smarter, and age appropriate. He holds the athletic look I wanted may to have. Why cant girls be athletic Gamefreak? Why do they always have to look like moe? C'mon.

Last edited:
    Years
    I'm relieved that they gave Brendan shorts for ORAS. Living in such a tropical region, he must have been sweating furiously the whole time in RSE with those gray pants! To keep referring back to the tropical climate, his skin tone is noticeably darker, which makes sense considering he's outside all day adventuring in such a sunny, warm region. Very sensible alterations to the protagonists, I think :]

Back