• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The REAL god of pokemon

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
Years
  • Who do you think the REAL god of pokemon is, mew or arceus? I've seen people debating about this in some other places, but don't see a thread about it here.
    I personally think it's arceus, because he seems more godly, but mew is rumored to have all the genetics of every pokemon (why it can learn any move through tm, or move tutor that is humanly possible)

revelp8

My mohawk is on fiiiyaaaa!
    Years
  • i think he means the one that has created all. but i digress, im actually wanting to see black and white legendaries to confirm. we're at gamefreak's mercy i believe, they create the story and we have to make due with what we get.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • The REAL place this thread should be is in Pokemon General. Anyway, I think that if I wondered about the god of Pokemon I'd just be insane. So I don't bother.

Years
  • The stories are crossed a bit. On one hand they have Creation, the idea Arceus created the world, similar to religions, whereas on the other hand we have Evolution, the idea that Mew is the common ancestor of all Pokémon. It really depends on which you believe, but it's kind of stupid to have both theories represented by Pokémon.

Oh, as for which is God, I'd say Arceus, as Mew didn't really create anything supernatural, it just exists.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Arceus is the closest thing to a Pokemon god if you believe the legends, but I don't, so yeah.
    Mew is nothing more than the Adam & Eve of Pokemon.

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
  • Well this is my theory which I'm going to mention in my RP "The God Project" which gives my fanon explanation for it all:

Mew is infinite. It has existed at every conceivable period of time. At the end of it's life it traveled back in time (yes, it can do that) and felt very sick. It's face was flushed with fatigue and exaustion. In it's fit of nausea it lay 2 eggs. 1 containing Arceus, the other itself. THAT'S RIGHT. MEW LAYED IT'S OWN EGG. Now I'm not implying that Mew is female. Anyways, at the end of it's life it lived just long enough to see it's own egg hatch. The Arceus egg hatched minutes later and was cabaple of creating the universe, which Mew was not. Mew can't CREATE the universe, but he/she can CONTROL it. Arceus is only capable of CREATING the universe. In short Mew represents infinity. It is an infinite, eternal, amalgamation of all Pokemon.

My theory.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Neither.

Legends are just that...legends. Arceus is a powerful pokemon in battle, no question, but it can conceivably fall in battle...something very unbecoming of a deity. No doubt ancient Sinnohans (Sinnohites?...whatever) witnessed Arceus's power and his limited ability to create life (dragon trio event in HGSS) and tied him into their creation myths. Similar to real world gods...they may or may not exist, and their power may or may not be horribly overstated. :P

Mew on the other hand...was never explicitly stated to be a god. Pokedex entries state that Mew is the ancestor of all pokemon, and this can easily be confirmed or denied through biological study by scientists in the Pokemon world. XD

Years
  • There's a big difference between "ancestor" and "god". Arceus is referred to as "the Alpha Pokémon" because he was the very first Pokémon. He's "The Original One" that shaped the universe with its one thousand arms.

From Wikipedia:
    Its origin is described in a book called "The Original Story" that states Arceus was born from an egg in a vortex of pure chaos before the existence of the universe. It proceeded to create three beings from itself, Dialga and Palkia, which created time and space, and Giratina, which resides in another dimension. It also created Azelf, Uxie, and Mesprit, which created spirit, and then went into an everlasting sleep.

So, accepting the facts that while, yes, they're technically Pokémon, but also gods, it's safe to say none of the above can be considered simply mere Pokémon. Same goes for Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayquaza. They're more like Pokémon versions of gods and guardian spirits that pre-date Mew.

It's also possible that Azelf, Uxie, and Mespirit created Mew as the first "real" Pokémon; as someone stated above, Mew is the Adam and Eve of Pokémon.

Years
  • Really? People pay attention to the story in Pokémon? I never knew...

Personally, I think that Arceus is the most powerful, but Mew is the best concept. I still have both rotting away in a PC box though.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2011
    I agree with what has been mentioned previously that they are legends and as such, nobody knows for sure whether or not Arceus is the "god of all Pokemon." It is very likely that it did in fact help create Sinnoh and possibly the world. And we know it created Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, and the three Lake Guardians.

This is just my theory, but assuming that the world's legends are all intertwined, it is possible that either the Dragon Trio and/or Lake Trio helped "create" Mew to keep the balance in nature as shown in "Lucario and the Mystery of Mew.

As for Mew, it is the ancestor of all Pokemon. I remember reading somewhere that it has been said all other Pokemon species "evolved" or "originated" from Mew (not 100% sure). This would make sense in that Mew can learn every attack known.

In short, it is possible Arceus is "god" although I don't think it is. Why would Gamefreak create the ultimate creator of Pokemon and continue the series? Where does Reshiram and Zekrom fit into this? I think there is a higher power out there in the Pokemon world and only when the Pokemon series ends wil we see it.

Years
  • Although Arceus is the closest we'll get to an actual 'God', I think Mew is infinitely more interesting as a Pokémon. Arceus is pretty clear cut and I don't really care for him.

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
  • Arceus is basically God, however, he didn't make much life. Basically the three dragons, pixies, and Mew, the last one (Mew) produced all life which changed into the many pokemon, and maybe even humans. It's how I see it, anyway.

Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2014
    I hope they never reveal how the world was created by pokemon. I hope the stories stay as they are now: as myths.

Every culture in the world has an origin story, how the world cam to be. Let the myths created so far stay just that, a story. I don't want confirmation that Arceus is indeed the 'god' of pokemon or if Mew created life or something.

To me, they are both incredibly old and incredibly powerful pokemon. Nothing more, nothing less.

On a related note, I hope they stop making all these insanely powerful one-upping legendaries. Look at Gen I, all it had was the story of Mew, the human engineered Mewto and the legendary birds. Everything around them was just legends and stories, they were simply powerful pokemon. Let's leave it at that.

Last edited:

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
  • I don't believe the Pokemon world has a god. I think that if it did it would take away any the greatest part of it.

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
  • who said there's only one god?

Exactly.

Personally, I perceive Arceus to be the God of all Pokémon, with a different set of Gods to look after everything else (such as Dialga for Time, Palkia for Space, etc.). But I appreciate that Mew is more of an enigma than Arceus - in the Anime universe, The First Movie still sends shivers down my spine as it did when I first encountered Mewtwo in Pokémon Blue, whereas Arceus and the Jewel of Life left me feeling entirely under-whelmed.

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
  • we also must think, it must go back infinitely and will go forward infinitely. if there is a god, what created it? if arceus was hatched in a world of chaos, where did the egg come from? Like I said though, arceus seems more of a god than any of them.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    I don't think there is a god of pokemon. If you ask me Game Freak should just stick w/ 'god' pokemon being limited to their respective regions. Having a pokemon that created all, as in ones made before and after, would just mess up future pokemon and plots imo.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
  • we also must think, it must go back infinitely and will go forward infinitely. if there is a god, what created it? if arceus was hatched in a world of chaos, where did the egg come from? Like I said though, arceus seems more of a god than any of them.
    Um, if we can't answer that question in our universe then how are we suppose to answer it in another's?

Back