• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Rom Hacking Newsletter Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surf

Years
    • Age 29
    • Rust
    • Seen Jul 31, 2011
    *Darthatron thinks we need at least 2 interviewers.*

I miss thethethethethethethethethethethe. ;_;

Damn i asked Thrace if i could join but you submited work first
    Damn you guys. -__-

EDIT- thethethethe Why did you leave? ;_;

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Name: Henry/NinjaCaterpie/ShadowLakitu
    E-Mail: [email protected]
    MSN/AIM/YIM/ICQ: [email protected]
    Time Zone: GMT +10, I believe. Sydney time...?
    Job: Hack reviewer, map reviewer, reporter (maybe?)
    Proof of Work: Ahem...Hmmm...Do I have to make one of each? I'll do map report first.
    https://i33.tinypic.com/2vwg4t4.jpg
    Taty town, see?

First of all, when one sees this map, the first thing noticed is that it is an island. Yet, it is a starter town. It's ingenious, and gains points in that department. Then, you see the trees on the larger part and notice how wonderfully placed they are. All of the trees a placed very randomly and interesting, although their maze-like placement may be annoying to play through. The pond in front of the player's (at least I think it's the player's) house is a little bit unneeded, and it should be pond water, not moving water. The palettes are a little dark, and the paths colours are strange, but that's no matter in a map rate.

Now to the shape. The islands are shaped very well, and very naturally. The grass, even though it's a starting town, is also placed very strategically through the trees.

Hacking Experience: Pokemon Moonshine. In my signature.

:P? :D

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    Name: Henry/NinjaCaterpie/ShadowLakitu
    MSN/AIM/YIM/ICQ: [email protected]
    Time Zone: GMT +10, I believe. Sydney time...?
    Job: Hack reviewer, map reviewer, reporter (maybe?)
    Proof of Work: Ahem...Hmmm...Do I have to make one of each? I'll do map report first.
    https://i33.tinypic.com/2vwg4t4.jpg
    Taty town, see?

First of all, when one sees this map, the first thing noticed is that it is an island. Yet, it is a starter town. It's ingenious, and gains points in that department. Then, you see the trees on the larger part and notice how wonderfully placed they are. All of the trees a placed very randomly and interesting, although their maze-like placement may be annoying to play through. The pond in front of the player's (at least I think it's the player's) house is a little bit unneeded, and it should be pond water, not moving water. The palettes are a little dark, and the paths colours are strange, but that's no matter in a map rate.

Now to the shape. The islands are shaped very well, and very naturally. The grass, even though it's a starting town, is also placed very strategically through the trees.

Hacking Experience: Pokemon Moonshine. In my signature.

:P? :D
    Yay! You're in! But, you'll have to go it to more detail in your reviews so they are of decent length.

DemonParia

Gangsterfresh Swagmaster
    Years
    • Seen Oct 6, 2015
    Wheeeee...

Name: DemonParia
    E-mail: [email protected]
    MSN: Same as above, except @hotmail.com, I think...
    Time: Central.
    Job: Reporter, hack reviewer. I'd like to grammar edit the newsletter.
    Proof of Work: See below.
    Hacking Experience: Pokemon - Rainfall Adventures.

The Hacking Concept

Just by browsing through the ROM Hacking forums, most are able to seperate hacks into two groups. First, the professional hacks done by teams of decent hackers, and then the hacks that fall short. The games by inexperienced hackers. The edits. Then, in the latter group still, we have the hacks with one, inexperienced leader, with lots of team members. These hacks are usually doomed to fail. But, when one aspiring hacker starts a hack and stays with it, using trusted friends as team members, and trawls the tutorials looking for knowledge, that, readers, is a true hacker. A hacker realizing his shortcomings, but never giving up... that hacker will make a truly fantastic game.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen yesterday
    Name: Marxvile
    E-Mail: If (and I mean if) I get the job, I'll PM it to you if possible.
    MSN/AIM/YIM/ICQ: Don't have one... I'm sad.
    Time Zone: UTC (Western Europe, London is nearest)
    Job: Non-hack Reviewer
    Proof of Work: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=4266362#post4266362
    Hacking Experience: None in other games, but I am making one for Pokemon (Island Mystery).

If I am employed, can you PM me the hack you want me to review, or do I pick one myself?

Last edited:

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Name: Vrai
    MSN/AIM/YIM/ICQ: Same as above
    Time Zone: U.S. Central
    Job: A reviewer/writer of some sort?
    Proof of Work: Uh, Rebirth, as well as various writing programs such as Nanowrimo
    Hacking Experience: Been doing it for slightly under a year

So, for the proof of work thing, is there a specific hack that you would wish me to review? I don't have time right now, as I have to be somewhere, but I'll edit this when I have come back and have the time to write a decent-sized review of a hack. M'kay? :P

I just wanted to get this out here before I forget. :D

Erm, I wrote up a review of Disturbed's Distant for you guyz. :P

Vrai's Review said:
    [FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Review of Disturbed's hack, Pokémon Distant[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Although I'd like to make it a point to not review hacks that don't have anything for me to play, I was intrigued enough to take a look. Four awards for a hack that doesn't have a beta? I'd think that's quite good.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]The beginning of the storyline is, as described, truly generic. Tragic accident leading to an unknown place with secrets. The expanded storyline is much better, as it portrays the storyline extremely well. The quote from a citizen adds a special little touch to it that makes it feel that much more realistic. The "Zar" is also an interesting idea. Although I'm sure it's been done before, making a semi-riddle for people to figure out more information about a hack is always neat. I've actually completed it, and I encourage you to comprehend it. It's quite difficult, believe me. ;D[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Some of the features are unique, such as difficulty levels. Things like that make me wonder how they're going to be implemented, and that just makes me want to have a beta even more. The screenshots reflect Disturbed's excellent mapping skills, as well as his palettes. The player sprite, while not outstanding, seems to fit well with the hack. The titlescreen is one of the very best I've ever seen, showing detail to an amazing level. (Not to mention, that Charizard is pretty sweet too.)[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]I really think that, should this have a playable alpha/beta, it definitely deserves the third place in HotY that it earned. ^^[/FONT]

It's a bit shorter than what I would usually write, but that's partially because Disturbed hasn't made anything for me to go through and play, so I can't comment on his scripts. :\

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Hope that that's decent enough to get me into the team. :D
    [/FONT]

Last edited:

Cronos

Im Back ;)
    Years
  • Name:Cronos
    E-Mail:[email protected]
    MSN/AIM/YIM/ICQ:None
    Time zone: + 4,+8 Im constantly shiftying
    Job: A reviewer
    Proof of work:

Pokemon Mystical Version:
    Hack Author:~Gary
    Screenshots:

Spoiler:

After seeing this hack im getting the feeling that spanish hackers are dominating in the field of hacking.

The hack"s story though is the normal chase the legendary one but while speaking about tiles and scripting this hack excels far.The tiles are a mix of Kyledove/PHO/Ozumas a very good combination indeed.The animations make the rom's major factor.Scripting is also a major factor in this hack.Ive seen the video and it is good.The OW just a little edited now still blends into the making it look good.Mapping is good but not impressive though.

Oh i almost forgot Mastermind_X's well awaited
    D&N System feature is used in this hack,though many complain the download link is not working properly.Well what ~Gary need's to do now is to think to make a more deeper storyline.

Hacking experience:Pokemon Delta Version

Last edited:

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    Name: DemonParia
    E-mail: [email protected]
    MSN: Same as above, except @hotmail.com, I think...
    Time: Central.
    Job: Reporter, hack reviewer. I'd like to grammar edit the newsletter.
    Proof of Work: See below.
    Hacking Experience: Pokemon - Rainfall Adventures.

The Hacking Concept

Just by browsing through the ROM Hacking forums, most are able to seperate hacks into two groups. First, the professional hacks done by teams of decent hackers, and then the hacks that fall short. The games by inexperienced hackers. The edits. Then, in the latter group still, we have the hacks with one, inexperienced leader, with lots of team members. These hacks are usually doomed to fail. But, when one aspiring hacker starts a hack and stays with it, using trusted friends as team members, and trawls the tutorials looking for knowledge, that, readers, is a true hacker. A hacker realizing his shortcomings, but never giving up... that hacker will make a truly fantastic game.
    Thats way too short for an article but you're quite good at writing so you're accepted.

Name: Marxvile
    E-Mail: If (and I mean if) I get the job, I'll PM it to you if possible.
    MSN/AIM/YIM/ICQ: Don't have one... I'm sad.
    Time Zone: UTC (Western Europe, London is nearest)
    Job: Non-hack Reviewer
    Proof of Work: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=4266362#post4266362
    Hacking Experience: None in other games, but I am making one for Pokemon (Island Mystery).

If I am employed, can you PM me the hack you want me to review, or do I pick one myself?
    Your review is far too short but since you are the only person I know who plays non-Pokemon hacks I'll accept you.

Name: Vrai
    MSN/AIM/YIM/ICQ: Same as above
    Time Zone: U.S. Central
    Job: A reviewer/writer of some sort?
    Proof of Work: Uh, Rebirth, as well as various writing programs such as Nanowrimo
    Hacking Experience: Been doing it for slightly under a year

So, for the proof of work thing, is there a specific hack that you would wish me to review? I don't have time right now, as I have to be somewhere, but I'll edit this when I have come back and have the time to write a decent-sized review of a hack. M'kay? :P

I just wanted to get this out here before I forget. :D

Erm, I wrote up a review of Disturbed's Distant for you guyz. :P

It's a bit shorter than what I would usually write, but that's partially because Disturbed hasn't made anything for me to go through and play, so I can't comment on his scripts. :\

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Hope that that's decent enough to get me into the team. :D
    [/FONT]
    Thats pretty decent. You're in!

Name:Cronos
    E-Mail:[email protected]
    MSN/AIM/YIM/ICQ:None
    Time zone: + 4,+8 Im constantly shiftying
    Job: A reviewer
    Proof of work:

Pokemon Mystical Version:
    Hack Author:~Gary
    Screenshots:

Spoiler:

After seeing this hack im getting the feeling that spanish hackers are dominating in the field of hacking.

The hack"s story though is the normal chase the legendary one but while speaking about tiles and scripting this hack excels far.The tiles are a mix of Kyledove/PHO/Ozumas a very good combination indeed.The animations make the rom's major factor.Scripting is also a major factor in this hack.Ive seen the video and it is good.The OW just a little edited now still blends into the making it look good.Mapping is good but not impressive though.

Oh i almost forgot Mastermind_X's well awaited
    D&N System feature is used in this hack,though many complain the download link is not working properly.Well what ~Gary need's to do now is to think to make a more deeper storyline.

Hacking experience:Pokemon Delta Version
    Its just too short. You'll also want to improve your writing style and provide more detail.

Surf

Years
    • Age 29
    • Rust
    • Seen Jul 31, 2011
    Hey Thrace could I reapply for the RHN
    Name: Mac_Mini
    MSN/AIM/YIM/ICQ: same as above ^^
    Time Zone: GMT +10 same as NinJa Catipie and Nearly the same as your timezone ^^
    Job: Hack Reviewer
    Proof of Work: (This is my review that you put in the RHN)
    The first thing I noticed about this hack when I started playing was how dull the palletes were. Normally this would be a big turn off for me in a hack but they really suit the hack. But on with the review.

The start of the hack is very messy. The green text doesn't suit the boot screen and the title screen is poorl done. Graphics shouldn't turn people off in a hack but right from the start I had my doubts about wether I would like this hack. The tiles look great but the only thing that bugs me is the red fountain.

Scripting in this hack is hack is okay but really theres nothing top major. Some of the events are a little too dull and generic. Is it so hard to think of a way to recive a Pokemon other than by a professer giving it too you? A few unrealistic events were a bit of a turn off in the hack. The trainers levels were way too high. Fighting a level 7 with a level 5 makes it really hard to progress in a game.

Now for the mapping. I tink that there is alot to improve in the mapping section. Some maps are a little too square and some are too empty. A couple of problems with the border too which could have been fixed. A couple of mix ups with the warps that just required some double checking to fix.

The arcade is a good idea in a hack. Meddigo gave indications that he would make one . Hopefully it will live up to my expectations.

All up I'd have to say that this hack is a decent hack to play in your spare time. I'd give it a 7.6\10

DemonParia

Gangsterfresh Swagmaster
    Years
    • Seen Oct 6, 2015
    Thats way too short for an article but you're quite good at writing so you're accepted.

Thanks. I was reading the application thing, and it was like: write an article about anything.
    And I was like.... ANYTHING.....?!

-and I couldn't think! So that's why....

You received the TINYARTICLE!

*Item received jingle*

Thanks.

Also, my MSN was actually '[email protected]', like my E-mail.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Oct 21, 2019
    I just want everyonez to know I'm teh new interviewer!
    *cheers*
    *laughter*
    *boo'd*
    *shot*

Anyways, I guess last time wasn't official, as it was only for Darthatron when he was covering for Thrace's absence. So, now, you all may consult me if you think you're amazing enough to get interviewed.
    Most likely, I won't come to you, since I'm lazy. But, if nobody comes to me at the end of the week, I'm just finding someone well known who is actually online :\

Surf

Years
    • Age 29
    • Rust
    • Seen Jul 31, 2011
    I just want everyonez to know I'm teh new interviewer!
    *cheers*
    *laughter*
    *boo'd*
    *shot*

Anyways, I guess last time wasn't official, as it was only for Darthatron when he was covering for Thrace's absence. So, now, you all may consult me if you think you're amazing enough to get interviewed.
    Most likely, I won't come to you, since I'm lazy. But, if nobody comes to me at the end of the week, I'm just finding someone well known who is actually online :\

YAYZ
    *shots*

Anyway I think you should interview linkandzelda
    but your probably to lazy :\

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back