• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Rom Hacking Newsletter Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrace

@tion
Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    Name: IceCharizard (changing to Icicle)
    E-Mail: [email protected]
    MSN/AIM/YIM/ICQ: [email protected] (not very active)
    Time Zone: UTC +2
    Job: Graphics Artist
    Proof of Work: The Rom Hacking Newsletter TeamThe Rom Hacking Newsletter TeamThe Rom Hacking Newsletter TeamThe Rom Hacking Newsletter Team
    Hacking Experience: Pokemon Turquoise: Aqua Egg which is kinda asleep
    Could you make some awards?

Sorry about my previous article,im used to typing in capital's.
    Hack review:
    Hack name:Pokemon Colosseum Advance
    Hack author:dark shade
    Hack of:Pokemon Fire Red
    My Rate:2/5
    Screen Shots:

Review:
    As you see from the name itself it's the GBA remake of Pokemon Colosseum from Game Cube,but the story is edited.It is based on "shadow" pokemon that are pokemon which are not evil but have no feelings and emotions.A feature about this hack is that if trainer's have a "shadow" pokemon you can catch them with a "Snag" ball.The mapping is very poor and the tiles are not much as well to start with and i cant tell about the scripting because no video has been shown.A disadvantage of the hack is that you get less freedom to move around and the one's you get to move around is for catching pokemon. The "shadow" pokemon spriting seem's is the best part of the hack to me.This is the end of my review hope you like it.
    Sorry, but its not quite up to the standard of others. You've got a lot of punctuation errors. Also you're pretty much just telling us about the hack and not giving your opinion on it.

Could I do it this weekend? :)
    Yeah I guess. The next issue won't be for a while.

Or in simple words, everyone is unique and different. ;)

Anyways...
    I have a question...
    What will be a graphic artist's job be?
    I might join if I can do better with Photoshop. :P
    Pretty much just creating awards and some other very minor graphics.

Just asking because I wont be back into the hacking 'business' for a little above a week;

What would the Non-Pokemon hack reviewer be reviewing?
    Any hack from here or elsewhere.

Kaizer-X

RoM HaCkeR
    Years
  • Name: Kaizer-X
    MSN/AIM/YIM/ICQ: [email protected]
    Time Zone: UTC+8
    Job:Hack reviewer
    Proof of Work: Ok here is a review i made on Frostbite's Azure horizon:
    "From the variety of screenshots, we can see that the maps are very original especially the map of the gym with the laser gate which has caught my attention. In my opinion the maps of the towns looks great with the street lamps providing a more realistic feeling to the town. I don't know how good the scripts are as the beta haven't been released yet and I hope they will be as good as the maps. With the introduction of a few features from Diamond and Pearl,new music and sprites, it would be interesting to see how this hack would turn out.
    Hacking Experience: Pokemon Twilight: Road to Dreams

Last edited:
    Years
  • Either you didn't understand, or more likely...I wasn't very clear. =) Haha. That is what I meant. I meant there should be some criteria, like IGN, since I may give someone a 4 for good graphics and an interesting story, whereas someone else might give them a 1 for no scripts and the use of a "ROM Base" perhaps? =) Anyway, I was just talking about the "rating" part, and it just makes the numbered system irrelevant. Although, I think the idea of averaging the judges score is good.

I just briefly looked at the criteria at IGN and from what I've read of it, there's still a fair room for interpretation.

But on another note, how's this going to work dshayabusa? Are you going to chose what hacks are being reviewed, or is something else happening?

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    Weird, I could've sworn I answered these.

Name: Time
    Job: Graphic Artist
    Proof of Work: Do I have to? Oh well... :\
    Spoiler:

Hacking Experience: POKéMON Ruby Destiny Series
    I was thinking more along the lines of the awards like HOTM, square-like instead of banner. So its not a huge award but still significant.

Name: Kaizer-X
    Proof of Work: Ok here is a review i made on Frostbite's Azure horizon:
    "From the variety of screenshots, we can see that the maps are very original especially the map of the gym with the laser gate which has caught my attention. In my opinion the maps of the towns looks great with the street lamps providing a more realistic feeling to the town. I don't know how good the scripts are as the beta haven't been released yet and I hope they will be as good as the maps. With the introduction of a few features from Diamond and Pearl,new music and sprites, it would be interesting to see how this hack would turn out.
    Hacking Experience: Pokemon Twilight: Road to Dreams
    Sorry but its not quite at the standard I'm looking for, why not try reviewing something with more updates and maybe a beta, that'll give you more things to write about.

I just briefly looked at the criteria at IGN and from what I've read of it, there's still a fair room for interpretation.

But on another note, how's this going to work dshayabusa? Are you going to chose what hacks are being reviewed, or is something else happening?
    I'll be able to start working on this on Tuesday which is when my exams end, I'll probably work on a new layout as well. If we have a "panel of judges" then we should choose a hack we all want to review. Alternatively, we could just have 1 person write a review and we all give it a mark. We've got almost a week to work it out so for the time being I won't be worrying about it.

If anyone wants to start writing their article now they are more than welcome to.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    Name: Virtual Chatot
    AIM:Virtual Chatot
    Time Zone: EST
    Job: Graphic/CSS Designer/Reporter
    Proof of Work: I was on the original ROM hacking Newsletter that Martin ran.
    ( Can't really show Proof of CSS in a post, but its obvious I know a thing or two about CSS. ( My CSS Guide, the various signatures I've made people, ect )
    Hacking Experience: I was on the Rocket's Revenge Staff, and numerous projects which never quite took off.

Last edited:

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    Name: Virtual Chatot
    AIM:Virtual Chatot
    Time Zone: EST
    Job: Graphic/CSS Designer/Reporter
    Proof of Work: I was on the original ROM hacking Newsletter that Martin ran.
    Hacking Experience: I was on the Rocket's Revenge Staff, and numerous projects which never quite took off.
    You haven't actually provided proof... but from your various signatures/avatars over the times you're obviously very good. Congratulations! You're in! Do you only use AIM? I'd prefer MSN if you have it.

I just took a look at the IGN ratings descriptions. Maybe we should include that in the next issue, as a reference?

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    I was thinking more along the lines of the awards like HOTM, square-like instead of banner. So its not a huge award but still significant.

Ah... I see. :P
    my bad, but maybe I should think this over, for my computer just died...

Well, good luck with your team. ;)

Blitzballer

Sarcasm: now GMO-free.
    Years
  • I just took a look at the IGN ratings descriptions. Maybe we should include that in the next issue, as a reference?

Sounds like a great idea! =P Haha. What do you mean by including them?

Anyway, I'm gonna start working on my article about the Repetitivity (I do believe I just made up a word...don't worry, it won't be in the article) of Hack Threads. I'm gonna take a wild guess and say you'd like us to PM the article to you when we're done? =)

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    You haven't actually provided proof... but from your various signatures/avatars over the times you're obviously very good. Congratulations! You're in! Do you only use AIM? I'd prefer MSN if you have it.

I just took a look at the IGN ratings descriptions. Maybe we should include that in the next issue, as a reference?
    Yeah, I would have provided proof but for some reason the banner I made to be used with CSS didn't come in properly on the page ;S

But, I'm pretty widely known for my CSS skills, not to sound proud or anything.

( You can get my MSN Address from the MSN Icon in this post )

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    Sounds like a great idea! =P Haha. What do you mean by including them?

Anyway, I'm gonna start working on my article about the Repetitivity (I do believe I just made up a word...don't worry, it won't be in the article) of Hack Threads. I'm gonna take a wild guess and say you'd like us to PM the article to you when we're done? =)
    Basically just do what IGN has done; show the rating and then explain what a hack needs be rated at that level. We could put the rating on the award as well.

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    Yeah, I would have provided proof but for some reason the banner I made to be used with CSS didn't come in properly on the page ;S

But, I'm pretty widely known for my CSS skills, not to sound proud or anything.

( You can get my MSN Address from the MSN Icon in this post )
    You're CSS skills will definitely be invaluable. We should discuss the new design of the newsletter some time. I'll be sending the new design to everyone on the team so everyone can have a say in it.

oh ok, hw long does the review need 2 be? Maybe I will try again.
    Well, as long as the ones I have done would be good. Try looking at issues 1 and 2.

Kaizer-X

RoM HaCkeR
    Years
  • Ok here goes my 2nd try!

Name:
    Kaizer-X
    Proof of Work:

Firstly I think that the story is interesting and the first beta is quite good but the only things i don't like about it is the palletes of the grass which is too bright in my opinion and the size of the overworld which i a bit too large. The mapping is good with only the size of the cave being the only the spoiler as it looks really small from the outside.

From the new screenshots Mitchel1 seemed to have change the palletes to a more pleasant one. This has a great effect on mapping as the maps looks miles better than before. Overall the maps looks stunning with the varietes of different tiles and by inserting some new ones like the star-shaped building, the maps simply looks magnificent and eye-catchy. The snow tile are really nice especially the D/P style trees with snow on it. The screenshot of the cave to me is really good to me.

From the beta the scripts looks quite good but you haven't seen nothing yet. The new scripts are astounding as they can be seen from the video with the music and movements of camera timed to precision. But everything good has it flaws as there are some grammar mistakes or typing errors in the scripts but other than that i give it a two thumbs up.

The storyline is interesting but it is confusing as the complete story is unknown other than you decided to restart your journey after winning the league so the return to the past event and the unown tomb event is a mystery to me. I am also curious about the role of team rocket and lance in the story

From the way the hack is going, this looks like it's going to be a great one.

Hacking Experience:
    Pokemon Twilight: Road to Dreams

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    Ok here goes my 2nd try!

Name:
    Kaizer-X
    Proof of Work:

Firstly I think that the story is interesting and the first beta is quite good but the only things i don't like about it is the palletes of the grass which is too bright in my opinion and the size of the overworld which i a bit too large. The mapping is good with only the size of the cave being the only the spoiler as it looks really small from the outside.

From the new screenshots Mitchel1 seemed to have change the palletes to a more pleasant one. This has a great effect on mapping as the maps looks miles better than before. Overall the maps looks stunning with the varietes of different tiles and by inserting some new ones like the star-shaped building, the maps simply looks magnificent and eye-catchy. The snow tile are really nice especially the D/P style trees with snow on it. The screenshot of the cave to me is really good to me.

From the beta the scripts looks quite good but you haven't seen nothing yet. The new scripts are astounding as they can be seen from the video with the music and movements of camera timed to precision. But everything good has it flaws as there are some grammar mistakes or typing errors in the scripts but other than that i give it a two thumbs up.

The storyline is interesting but it is confusing as the complete story is unknown other than you decided to restart your journey after winning the league so the return to the past event and the unown tomb event is a mystery to me. I am also curious about the role of team rocket and lance in the story

From the way the hack is going, this looks like it's going to be a great one.

Hacking Experience:
    Pokemon Twilight: Road to Dreams
    Its still not quite what I'm looking for but I'm sure you'll get better with time, so you're in!

Exams are finally over! I'm gonna start making the new design and writing my articles. Everyone should start writing theirs now. You don't have to write an article every week but you should try to get one in at least every two weeks. 4 weeks without an article means you are no longer in the team unless you have a reason.

Articles are due in before Sunday. I will try to get the new design done before Thursday and I'll PM everyone on the team so they can have a say on what it looks like.

Submit all your articles to both Kawaii Inc. and myself. I'll add some rules/guidelines to the first post.

Last edited:

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    3 questions: For which hack should I create a reward? And what kind of reward? HotW?
    Aah, sorry I think there is a bit of confusion. I never accepted you into the team, I was waiting for you to show some examples of awards. Someone else, whose work I am familiar with applied before you posted them so I hired him instead. We also only need 1 person to do the graphics.

Sorry...

Megiddo-san

Barium - Summer '12 Return?
    Years
  • Name: megiddo
    MSN/AIM/YIM/ICQ: Msn^ aim: HayateBlade
    Time Zone: UTC -7
    Job: Hack Reviewer
    Proof of Work:
    Hack review of Pokemon Shattered Dreams - I give this hack a 6.5/10, but this is based on what all is available to be played.
    The scripts aren't at the "amazing" level yet. Some maps are a bit empty, but the story seems to flow well and the errors that exist aren't huge. In terms of difficulty I believe it's at the right level. Both the screenshots in the thread and the beta use a rombase, which docks the originality a little, but it's pleasant enough. Some custom graphics and some space fill ins could do it good.
    Overall: Graphics: fine Story: good Scripts: some are good and others are a bit lacking. You may want to check it out some time. It's worth a play in my opinion.

Hacking Experience: Pokemon Top Secret

/Circa

a face in the clouds.
    Years
  • Name: Visual
    MSN/AIM/YIM/ICQ: same as above, i only accept people i want to >;]
    Time Zone: UTC + 10 (Melbourne, Down Under)
    Job: Guy who writes random articles about things in hacking, trends etc. Or just a writer? ;S
    Proof of Work: Do I have to :(? I'll waste a story but alright.

CSS Cool?
    CSS has made a massive jump into rom hacking, everyone seems to have it in their threads. It's become very popular and still looks a bit appealing, it's simplicity in most threads gives them the edge on presentation, which catches alot of peoples eyes. I actually see people requesting CSS designs from other people, whats up with that? They've spent the time to learn about scripting and mapping and so on, but cant be bothered doing their own CSS. But I don't think people have problems with it, they probably just keep a spare design in one of their folders.

It wasn't that long ago that CSS was rare and very nerdy. My person impression of people with CSS in their signatures was "Jeez they're nerdy", but that whole idea has changed cause I learn't some myself. But it was a rare and nice looking idea. But is probably now fading away cause of the massive explosion of popularity.

I remember a quote from someone a while back, and i'm going to say that to everyone here: things are cool while they're rare.

Hacking Experience: Had like fifty bazillion hacks.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back