• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Rom Hacking Newsletter Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrace

@tion
Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    Name: megiddo
    E-Mail: [email protected]
    MSN/AIM/YIM/ICQ: Msn^ aim: HayateBlade
    Time Zone: UTC -7
    Job: Hack Reviewer
    Proof of Work:
    Hack review of Pokemon Shattered Dreams - I give this hack a 6.5/10, but this is based on what all is available to be played.
    The scripts aren't at the "amazing" level yet. Some maps are a bit empty, but the story seems to flow well and the errors that exist aren't huge. In terms of difficulty I believe it's at the right level. Both the screenshots in the thread and the beta use a rombase, which docks the originality a little, but it's pleasant enough. Some custom graphics and some space fill ins could do it good.
    Overall: Graphics: fine Story: good Scripts: some are good and others are a bit lacking. You may want to check it out some time. It's worth a play in my opinion.

Hacking Experience: Pokemon Top Secret
    Not bad, a little more detail would be nice though, I'll decide after the next issue.

Name: Visual
    MSN/AIM/YIM/ICQ: same as above, i only accept people i want to >;]
    Time Zone: UTC + 10 (Melbourne, Down Under)
    Job: Guy who writes random articles about things in hacking, trends etc. Or just a writer? ;S
    Proof of Work: Do I have to :(? I'll waste a story but alright.

CSS Cool?
    CSS has made a massive jump into rom hacking, everyone seems to have it in their threads. It's become very popular and still looks a bit appealing, it's simplicity in most threads gives them the edge on presentation, which catches alot of peoples eyes. I actually see people requesting CSS designs from other people, whats up with that? They've spent the time to learn about scripting and mapping and so on, but cant be bothered doing their own CSS. But I don't think people have problems with it, they probably just keep a spare design in one of their folders.

It wasn't that long ago that CSS was rare and very nerdy. My person impression of people with CSS in their signatures was "Jeez they're nerdy", but that whole idea has changed cause I learn't some myself. But it was a rare and nice looking idea. But is probably now fading away cause of the massive explosion of popularity.

I remember a quote from someone a while back, and i'm going to say that to everyone here: things are cool while they're rare.

Hacking Experience: Had like fifty bazillion hacks.
    Pretty good, we need more news reporters so you're definitely in.

Neti

Inactive
    Years
  • Map Name: Ranish Hilltop
    Creator: ¿TB Pro™
    ROM: Pokemon FireRed
    Credits: ¿TB Pro™ - Tiles, Kyledove - Tiles, Alistair - Tiles

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Comment:
    A Map that recently got a lot of attention is "Ranish Hilltop" by ¿TB Pro™
    And in my opinion that is totally apropriate:
    Let's begin with the layout and shape of the map: Its not squarish, what sould be standard. The Layout iss intresting, because you dont just pass the Route one way, you have to walk it up and then back down. I kinda like that.
    What about the mountains? God thanks they dont follow straight paths, what is not very common in the map rating thread. Also i dont see any elevation erros on this map. But they might cause border errror at the left side since it doesnt look like you are going to connect a map there. For example when the player gets up the second stairs he can see the mountain ledge at the left ending up in the border, which could be grass or mountain (both would cause border errors at different places).
    Anyway, the tiles and palettes of the mountains are nice, even though you should change the very bottom of them where theres a bold dark line.
    Lets take a closer look at the vegetation: All the different kind of trees create a really natural feeling and the tiles and palettes are brilliant as well. The placing is done very good, too: They dont stand in horizontal rows, but still in vertical ones (look at the trees in the bottom)! You could have created special tiles for that.
    Youve placed a pretty perfect amount of small highlights like flowers and bushes on this map, they give a really calm feeling to the map and dont disturb.
    While looking at those things ive noticed the first degrading thing at this map:
    On the level which you reach after going up 5 stairs there is a tile error: The top of a 2 tile tree is missing. Its located slightly top right of the center of the map.
    The tall grass is also placed good, even though you could have added a few more normal grass tiles in between. But its OK like this.
    Something i kinda dislike is the color of the railing of the stairs. Why is it red? That doesnt fit very well with the rest of the map which is most brown and green.
    Also the Palette of the green path in the bottom right should get a makeover: It has a very dark outlining, use a lighter green there.
    Other than that the placing of the path on the map is done really well. But the sand tiles that you used at the very top of the mountain shouldnt be used there because they create really sharp edges together with the mountian tiles.
    Even with the few things that could have been done better this is a really awesome map.

Rating: 9.6/10

Surf

Years
    • Age 29
    • Rust
    • Seen Jul 31, 2011
    Name: Hackimon12
    E-Mail:[email protected]
    MSN: [email protected]
    Time Zone: UTC + 10 (Melbourne)
    Proof of Work: I have a review i wrote for Pokemon Thunder Emblem:

Pokemon Thunder Emblem
    Hack Author: Mitchel1
    Reviewed By: Hackimon12
    Reviewer's Rating: 4.5\5

Pokemon Thunder Emblem is like no other hack. The graphics are superb with tiles from old and new games fitting it perfectly. Normally to many different tiles are a turn off for me but it goes perfectly with Thunder Emblem.

The scripting is brilliant not to buggy (besides a massive ONE). Great new events (I especially like the munchlax event).

The mapping is brilliant not too many errors. I love the shinnoh tiles used in the mapping.

The new features are great. The pokeride is a spectacular new feature.
    This is the first I've seen the Ash and Dawn from Whack a Hack and it fits well with it.
    They must have had a skilled overworlder because the Munchlax overworld looks like something out of DPP.

In conclusion i think that this hack is brilliant with not many faults. 4.5\5

Hacking Experience: I have done many hacks as a mapper and a scripter and i am currently working on my new hack: Pokemon School

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    Map Name: Ranish Hilltop
    Creator: ¿TB Pro™
    ROM: Pokemon FireRed
    Credits: ¿TB Pro™ - Tiles, Kyledove - Tiles, Alistair - Tiles

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Comment:
    A Map that recently got a lot of attention is "Ranish Hilltop" by ¿TB Pro™
    And in my opinion that is totally apropriate:
    Let's begin with the layout and shape of the map: Its not squarish, what sould be standard. The Layout iss intresting, because you dont just pass the Route one way, you have to walk it up and then back down. I kinda like that.
    What about the mountains? God thanks they dont follow straight paths, what is not very common in the map rating thread. Also i dont see any elevation erros on this map. But they might cause border errror at the left side since it doesnt look like you are going to connect a map there. For example when the player gets up the second stairs he can see the mountain ledge at the left ending up in the border, which could be grass or mountain (both would cause border errors at different places).
    Anyway, the tiles and palettes of the mountains are nice, even though you should change the very bottom of them where theres a bold dark line.
    Lets take a closer look at the vegetation: All the different kind of trees create a really natural feeling and the tiles and palettes are brilliant as well. The placing is done very good, too: They dont stand in horizontal rows, but still in vertical ones (look at the trees in the bottom)! You could have created special tiles for that.
    Youve placed a pretty perfect amount of small highlights like flowers and bushes on this map, they give a really calm feeling to the map and dont disturb.
    While looking at those things ive noticed the first degrading thing at this map:
    On the level which you reach after going up 5 stairs there is a tile error: The top of a 2 tile tree is missing. Its located slightly top right of the center of the map.
    The tall grass is also placed good, even though you could have added a few more normal grass tiles in between. But its OK like this.
    Something i kinda dislike is the color of the railing of the stairs. Why is it red? That doesnt fit very well with the rest of the map which is most brown and green.
    Also the Palette of the green path in the bottom right should get a makeover: It has a very dark outlining, use a lighter green there.
    Other than that the placing of the path on the map is done really well. But the sand tiles that you used at the very top of the mountain shouldnt be used there because they create really sharp edges together with the mountian tiles.
    Even with the few things that could have been done better this is a really awesome map.

Rating: 9.6/10
    A little too long but I think it'll be neat addition. You're in!
    You'll need to work on your spelling and grammar though or Kawaii, Inc. will get his Hoppips on to you.

Name: Hackimon12
    MSN: [email protected]
    Time Zone: UTC + 10 (Melbourne)
    Proof of Work: I have a review i wrote for Pokemon Thunder Emblem:

Pokemon Thunder Emblem
    Hack Author: Mitchel1
    Reviewed By: Hackimon12
    Reviewer's Rating: 4.5\5

Pokemon Thunder Emblem is like no other hack. The graphics are superb with tiles from old and new games fitting it perfectly. Normally to many different tiles are a turn off for me but it goes perfectly with Thunder Emblem.

The scripting is brilliant not to buggy (besides a massive ONE). Great new events (I especially like the munchlax event).

The mapping is brilliant not too many errors. I love the shinnoh tiles used in the mapping.

The new features are great. The pokeride is a spectacular new feature.
    This is the first I've seen the Ash and Dawn from Whack a Hack and it fits well with it.
    They must have had a skilled overworlder because the Munchlax overworld looks like something out of DPP.

In conclusion i think that this hack is brilliant with not many faults. 4.5\5

Hacking Experience: I have done many hacks as a mapper and a scripter and i am currently working on my new hack: Pokemon School
    A little too short and not detailed enough. You also lack experience and it will therefore be difficult for others to take your reviews seriously. Sorry but thats the reality of it.

Surf

Years
    • Age 29
    • Rust
    • Seen Jul 31, 2011
    thats ok i just wanted to give it a shot\
    anyway good luck with this :)

Neti

Inactive
    Years
  • nice thx dshayabusa!
    what if someone could read my article before it gets published and corrects all grammar and spelling mistakes? you know im no native speaker

Blitzballer

Sarcasm: now GMO-free.
    Years
  • nice thx dshayabusa!
    what if someone could read my article before it gets published and corrects all grammar and spelling mistakes? you know im no native speaker
    That someone would be me! =]
    Hi, Kawaii, Inc. at your service! How can I help you? I'm looking forward to having seeing your map reviews in the Newsletter.
    In other news, DSHayabusa, you said you wouldn't be able to publish the newsletter the next two weeks?

EarthsVisitor

Jolly Good
    Years
  • Name: EarthsVisitor, or Josh. :]
    MSN/AIM/YIM/ICQ: [email protected]/EarthsVisitor
    Time Zone: Central Time
    Job: I'll be glad to take over the Question of The Week, and work on Hack Reviews, Map reviews or other new concepts and ideas.
    Proof of Work: I've shown my originality and ideas. If you so need it, give me something to do, and I'll show you. :]
    Hacking Experience: Leader of Rocket's Revenge which placed 3rd in HoTY, 2 years of hacking. Proficient in scripting, mapping, creating ideas and stories, and more.

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    Forgot about this thread.

That someone would be me! =]
    Hi, Kawaii, Inc. at your service! How can I help you? I'm looking forward to having seeing your map reviews in the Newsletter.
    In other news, DSHayabusa, you said you wouldn't be able to publish the newsletter the next two weeks?
    Yeah I thought I would have trouble juggling things but its not too bad so far.

Name: EarthsVisitor, or Josh. :]
    MSN/AIM/YIM/ICQ: [email protected]/EarthsVisitor
    Time Zone: Central Time
    Job: I'll be glad to take over the Question of The Week, and work on Hack Reviews, Map reviews or other new concepts and ideas.
    Proof of Work: I've shown my originality and ideas. If you so need it, give me something to do, and I'll show you. :]
    Hacking Experience: Leader of Rocket's Revenge which placed 3rd in HoTY, 2 years of hacking. Proficient in scripting, mapping, creating ideas and stories, and more.
    You're in! :D

You'll need to PM everyone the question as early on in the week as possible. You're in for hack reviews too and I haven't thought of how the Map reviewing is going to work yet but we should have a new system in a month or so.

Blitzballer

Years
  • You'll need to PM everyone the question as early on in the week as possible. You're in for hack reviews too and I haven't thought of how the Map reviewing is going to work yet but we should have a new system in a month or so.

I suggest doing the review with a set criteria or aspects to focus on, like we do the Hack Reviews. (I.E. Palettes [spelled correctly XD], Complexity, Use of Space, Errors, etc.)

Blitzballer

Years
  • A Note From Your Bestest Friend, Grammar

Hey guys! We've been doing really well with getting this thing out the door at the appropriate time. Just wanted to remind you, you're friend, Grammar, is lonely. Spell check is your friend...use it. There are plenty of free downloads. I noticed quite a number of issues in the last issue. Brush up on your colons [:], semi-colon [;] and commas [,] if necessary. For some of you that English is a second language, I suggest finding someone to help you, just to make sure you're spelling correctly. It'll help you improve as an English-speaking individual in the long run! ;)

I dunno why I typed a winky face?? Haha.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    I will Review hacks! I have played many a hack and I know what most are about. Give me one and I'll get something done soon.

Name: Sheimi-Manafi
    MSN/AIM/YIM/ICQ: [email protected]
    Time Zone: Central US/Mexico
    Proof of Work: Depends. Give me something and I'll review it thouroughly, I have experience in reviewing, being a reviewer for many a forum. I have originality, grammar, spelling, and a lot of time.
    Hacking Experience: Last November (2007), I started hacking. A long time later (after nearly giving up), I worked with Lucario_9 and Platinum Lucario when they started hacking and I have mapped and beta tested for a while. Over the last year, evolved in mapping, storylining, music choosing (I go through a wide variety of tests to check on a song...) and beta testing for any minor errors.

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    I will Review hacks! I have played many a hack and I know what most are about. Give me one and I'll get something done soon.

Name: Sheimi-Manafi
    MSN/AIM/YIM/ICQ: [email protected]
    Time Zone: Central US/Mexico
    Proof of Work: Depends. Give me something and I'll review it thouroughly, I have experience in reviewing, being a reviewer for many a forum. I have originality, grammar, spelling, and a lot of time.
    Hacking Experience: Last November (2007), I started hacking. A long time later (after nearly giving up), I worked with Lucario_9 and Platinum Lucario when they started hacking and I have mapped and beta tested for a while. Over the last year, evolved in mapping, storylining, music choosing (I go through a wide variety of tests to check on a song...) and beta testing for any minor errors.

Thanks for the offer but I think we've got more than enough reviewers for now.

Makeshiftjay

Member Of Green Jasper
    Years
  • Name:
    MSN/AIM/YIM/ICQ:[email protected]
    Time Zone:-0 Hours Eastern Europe
    Job:hack Reviewer
    Proof of Work:Used To work As a Reviwer Before The bubble busrt
    Hacking ExperienceMade 2 Games 4tried atemmpt
    Expricence: Played And Made 1 Game Pokemon JASPER
    I Have used Personaly A lot of hacked games at my own exprince
    I.E Pokemon Quartz 7/10

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2008
    Name: エロカメ
    Jabber ID: [email protected]
    Time Zone: Eastern Australia
    Job: Newsman?
    Hacking Experience: Well... I moderate rom-hacking on the biggest Pokemon forum in Poland.
    Proof of Work:

Hack of the Year's back!

Yes! Loved by many hackers, an ultimate award - Hack of the Year! This years format hasn't changed much form the last year's. Altogether, there'll be 3 round.

--Round 1--
    The first round will start the 5th of November and end the 23rd of November. Only ten hacks with the most votes will go to the next round.

--Round 2--
    The secend round will be much different form the first one. You'll have to decide, which hacks excels in a certain category. It'll start the same day the first round ended, and end the 16th of December.

The Category Awards this year will be:
    • Best Mapping
    • Best Scripting
    • Best Storyline
    • Best Newcomer
    • Most Graphically Appealing
    • Most Interesting Feature

--Round 3--
    5 choosen judges will decide which hack deserve to be the top 3 this year. It will start the same day the secend round ended, and end the 26th of December.

Top Awards:
    - Hack of the Year - 5 judges will decide this years HotY.
    - Fan Favourite - Highest number of nominations from Round 1

The official HotY Format thread

Last edited:

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    Name:
    MSN/AIM/YIM/ICQ:[email protected]
    Time Zone:-0 Hours Eastern Europe
    Job:hack Reviewer
    Proof of Work:Used To work As a Reviwer Before The bubble busrt
    Hacking ExperienceMade 2 Games 4tried atemmpt
    Expricence: Played And Made 1 Game Pokemon JASPER
    I Have used Personaly A lot of hacked games at my own exprince
    I.E Pokemon Quartz 7/10
    Sorry but you don't have nearly enough experience. You haven't even given any proof of work. :(

Name: エロカメ
    Jabber ID: [email protected]
    Time Zone: Eastern Australia
    Job: Newsman?
    Hacking Experience: Well... I moderate rom-hacking on the biggest Pokemon forum in Poland.
    Proof of Work:

Hack of the Year's back!

Yes! Loved by many hackers, an ultimate award - Hack of the Year! This years format hasn't changed much form the last year's. Altogether, there'll be 3 round.

--Round 1--
    The first round will start the 5th of November and end the 23rd of November. Only ten hacks with the most votes will go to the next round.

--Round 2--
    The secend round will be much different form the first one. You'll have to decide, which hacks excels in a certain category. It'll start the same day the first round ended, and end the 16th of December.

The Category Awards this year will be:
    • Best Mapping
    • Best Scripting
    • Best Storyline
    • Best Newcomer
    • Most Graphically Appealing
    • Most Interesting Feature

--Round 3--
    5 choosen judges will decide which hack deserve to be the top 3 this year. It will start the same day the secend round ended, and end the 26th of December.

Top Awards:
    - Hack of the Year - 5 judges will decide this years HotY.
    - Fan Favourite - Highest number of nominations from Round 1

The official HotY Format thread
    I'm going to have to say no. Not only do we have enough reporters now but all you've done is rewritten my original thread.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2010
    Yup, welcome! If someone doesn't know yet, I will be the one who will lend a helping hand to newbie hackers via the Beginners Corner section. Look forward for unLZ guide ;)

Ryousha

Waiting for Gen 4 Remakes
    Years
  • Name: Allen/Exiled
    MSN/AIM/YIM/ICQ:[email protected]/Roxasexe/Nettokun154/??
    Time Zone:Pacific California Time
    Job: Hack Reviews/Map Reviewer
    Proof of Work: I worked for some of interesting reviews before. One of them was ~The Womanizers~ P.H.O. Newsletter where i reviewed some of the most interesting hack in the first issue. Though I don't really knew what happened to the letter, It may have never been released or so.

Though, very detailed. I give all hacks a positive and negatives within their hacks.
    This is one of the positive things about me ;).

I'd apply for Map Reviewer because I like to review very detailed maps. Or maybe even the most saddest maps.
    I mean we're not perfect, but i'd like to point out their flaws in them :)

Proof of Hack Reviewing

Sentra Journeys:
    This hack is made by Lucario 9. A well known rom hacker who makes lots of them.

Let's start off with the graphics.
    I'm not surprised when you used this base. I love how you used your own palletes to make the theme sort of natural.
    Too many of overused tiles and to add more detail to the maps. Detailed and Simple is the word of your map skills ;).

Gameplay is sort of okay. Too many re-used scripts and some plain maps, like the cave. The battling level gives tensions and makes the player keep fighting people who are the same level, making the overuse to keep using potions.
    It all blends in together, though. Keep on trying harder, Lucario.

Scripting is very detailed.
    Though the work can be established to a higher level. They're too many errors, and bugs.
    The scripting should give more detailed than just a plain script. It gives off the hack to a low level.
    Hack Review by Allen
    Score: 8/10

Hacking Experience: I indeed do alot of rom hacking and made a very detailed hack that im really into.

I worked with alot of hacks and ultimately made no time to help and completely overloaded.
    Pokemon E v e r s o n g is my latest, and probably last for me to hack. I plan on finishing this to at least an an pre-alpha within December.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    I hope it isn't too late to sign up. :/
    I just made a review, and hopefully
    it is better.

Name: .Pichu-kun (Please call me Michael)
    MSN/AIM/YIM/ICQ: [email protected] (I'm having problems with it, so just VM, PM, or EM me.)
    Time Zone: (UTC -7:00) Mountain Time(US & Canada)
    Job: Hack reviewer (If not, sign me up as interviewer, and PM me on what I have to do.)
    Proof of Work: I just made this interview.
    Spoiler:

Hacking Experience: I have some experience in mapping and scripting. I'm still making Tensai's Secret.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back