• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Slump of the Nintendo Wii U

New Eden

Ascension to heaven
Years
  • The Wii U has been absolutely abysmal at best in terms of sales. During the same time frame it has sold half of what the GameCube did (despite that having a couple of system sellers on the market like 3D world isn't supposed to be one right?) It is also as old as the Dreamcast when that kicked the bucket time-frame wise and has sold half the systems in comparison.

You can say all you want that those two systems got away with it because the GC had Smash Bros. and Sunshine; and the Dreamcast had console online play, the two Sonic Adventure games as well as many other Sega cult classics. The Wii U has 3D World, Wind Waker HD, and Tropical Freeze, and supposedly Pikmin 3 (despite never hearing about it since its release) going for it right now. Those caused short bursts of sales but nothing on the long term. Will Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. be the saviour the Wii U needs? I doubt it.

At the end of the road, the Wii U will probably continue to stumble behind its competitors for multiple reasons. Nintendo has done a horrid job marketing it, they've played it too safe with their IPs (New Super Mario Bros. was made five times out of what looked liked an act of laziness, for there was nothing really new in store for them.) While 3D World was said to be a great game, it still seems like nothing new, just builds off of what 3D Land created (the traditional 3D Mario games, meanwhile, would use a different formula surrounding the never-changing core.)

Granted, I'm someone who is interested in none of the next-gen consoles at this time, as I'm probably more inclined to buy a Vita than either of them. I'll probably get a Wii U (hypocritically) once 3-5 games that appeal to me come out. No way in hell I'm buying one for one game.

Neo Emolga

Legendary Sky Squirrel
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2016
    Problem with the Wii-U, to me, is it just doesn't seem all that different from the Wii. Given, I feel the same way about the PS4 and the XBox One, but yeah, I don't really feel the pressing desire to have yet another Mario Kart and another Super Smash Bros. They honestly look almost exactly like the last games.

We need new franchises and spin offs. That was a big selling point of GameCube to me. Luigi's Mansion was still a Mario game, but it was unique, different, and a great way to get introduced to the new system. The Wii-U... I just don't see that here.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I'm not surprised to read this, the Wii U never struck me as anything new or even interesting when the Wii was already perfectly suited for what it did - the handheld element of the console just proves they should stick to what they do best. I love the Gameboy/DS series of consoles and they should definitely keep going with them, but the Wii line I don't think needs pushing any harder when Xbox and Playstation basically have their own versions now.

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
    Years
  • I'm not surprised to read this, the Wii U never struck me as anything new or even interesting when the Wii was already perfectly suited for what it did - the handheld element of the console just proves they should stick to what they do best. I love the Gameboy/DS series of consoles and they should definitely keep going with them, but the Wii line I don't think needs pushing any harder when Xbox and Playstation basically have their own versions now.

I was going to burst in bellowing about how everyone should stop slamming the Wii-U, but I won't. I don't feel a pressing need to buy it, but I don't see it being the end of the line for Nintendo's consoles. Nintendo just needs to up the ante or stick strictly to Handheld games. I personally have been focusing on getting 3DS games and slightly dated Wii games lately. The 3DS can still survive for a long time since I know there are a lot of people who aren't completely sold on the whole "downloadable games for smartphones being the future of portable gaming" kick... Smartphones aren't a good substitute for an actual gaming system in my mind, so I still look forward to seeing what Nintendo comes out with next, either console or handheld-wise.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I still look forward to seeing what Nintendo comes out with next, either console or handheld-wise.
    My main question is exactly this - what is coming next? They've progressed from black and white screens to using colour, then on to including a touch pad, and now even on to using 3D graphics for proper 3D effects and visuals - what can possibly be next? My best guess is an Oculus Rift rip-off in some form or another since I'm not sure just how much more they can improve on without venturing into this region of gameplay, but I guess only time will tell.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Problem with the Wii-U, to me, is it just doesn't seem all that different from the Wii. Given, I feel the same way about the PS4 and the XBox One, but yeah, I don't really feel the pressing desire to have yet another Mario Kart and another Super Smash Bros. They honestly look almost exactly like the last games.

We need new franchises and spin offs. That was a big selling point of GameCube to me. Luigi's Mansion was still a Mario game, but it was unique, different, and a great way to get introduced to the new system. The Wii-U... I just don't see that here.

take another look at Mario Kart 8

Visually, it is gorgeous. And in terms of gameplay, it looks like if Mario Kart and F-Zero married

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • Problem with the Wii-U, to me, is it just doesn't seem all that different from the Wii. Given, I feel the same way about the PS4 and the XBox One, but yeah, I don't really feel the pressing desire to have yet another Mario Kart and another Super Smash Bros. They honestly look almost exactly like the last games.

Look like the last games?? You're crazy because its a 10x improvement.

ZombiU, hopefully Nintendo will fund the sequel. Nintendo is getting in the business of buying exclusives (Bayo 2 / W101), if they are smart continue the Monster Hunter trend on Wii U along with the 3DS, The Xeno series seems to be a staple now, Fatal Frame, quite a few more. Yes the need to step it up, but they were hoping to replicate the Wii at first, I think we'll see they get more. It reminds me more of the Gamecube though.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Look like the last games?? You're crazy because its a 10x improvement.

ZombiU, hopefully Nintendo will fund the sequel. Nintendo is getting in the business of buying exclusives (Bayo 2 / W101), if they are smart continue the Monster Hunter trend on Wii U along with the 3DS, The Xeno series seems to be a staple now, Fatal Frame, quite a few more. Yes the need to step it up, but they were hoping to replicate the Wii at first, I think we'll see they get more. It reminds me more of the Gamecube though.

Did ZombiU actually move systems? I know that it was reviewed as basically the best game out there at launch, but I was under the impression that it wasn't the kind of game that got people to buy a system - not an original concept, not a familiar IP. A new Fatal Frame was just announced though I believe, which should give it a bump as well.

Nintendo is like Apple; the reason they succeed is the insular nature of their system, not the ability to run games that the other systems have. If you want Mario, you have on choice. Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby, Fire Emblem, Metroid, Animal Crossing...Nintendo needs to stop worrying about making themselves like the other systems and worry about improving what sets it apart - high quality first-party games that you can't get anywhere else.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • The Wii U has been absolutely abysmal at best in terms of sales. During the same time frame it has sold half of what the GameCube did (despite that having a couple of system sellers on the market like 3D world isn't supposed to be one right?) It is also as old as the Dreamcast when that kicked the bucket time-frame wise and has sold half the systems in comparison.

You can say all you want that those two systems got away with it because the GC had Smash Bros. and Sunshine; and the Dreamcast had console online play, the two Sonic Adventure games as well as many other Sega cult classics. The Wii U has 3D World, Wind Waker HD, and Tropical Freeze, and supposedly Pikmin 3 (despite never hearing about it since its release) going for it right now. Those caused short bursts of sales but nothing on the long term. Will Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. be the saviour the Wii U needs? I doubt it.

At the end of the road, the Wii U will probably continue to stumble behind its competitors for multiple reasons. Nintendo has done a horrid job marketing it, they've played it too safe with their IPs (New Super Mario Bros. was made five times out of what looked liked an act of laziness, for there was nothing really new in store for them.) While 3D World was said to be a great game, it still seems like nothing new, just builds off of what 3D Land created (the traditional 3D Mario games, meanwhile, would use a different formula surrounding the never-changing core.)

Granted, I'm someone who is interested in none of the next-gen consoles at this time, as I'm probably more inclined to buy a Vita than either of them. I'll probably get a Wii U (hypocritically) once 3-5 games that appeal to me come out. No way in hell I'm buying one for one game.
    If you've read any of my previous posts, as well as TRIFORCE89 and countryemo's posts, you'll see that not playing safe isn't going to solve the Wii U's problems (Wonderful 101 was their latest IP, and it flopped because professional critics were too use to being easy games and were too lazy to adjust to the difficulty learning curve). You've also seem to ignore the upcoming titles for 2014 such as Monoslith Soft's X and Bayonetta 2, as well as the numerous indie titles being developed for the Wii U. In terms of marketing, they have their own youtube channel to advertise their games, but due to the dudebro culture, commercials for their E-rated franchises have been limited to family-oriented channels because audiences who watch more mature channels have no interest in buying those E-rated titles unless it's a T or M-rated title. It's almost as if it's becoming taboo to even like Nintendo and its products due to bias media trying to shut it down when its rival companies are in a much worse condition than Nintendo, and it's also tiresome to hear people on the internet who knows how to run a 100-year-old company without having any experience to begin with.

countryemo

Years
  • Did ZombiU actually move systems? I know that it was reviewed as basically the best game out there at launch, but I was under the impression that it wasn't the kind of game that got people to buy a system - not an original concept, not a familiar IP. A new Fatal Frame was just announced though I believe, which should give it a bump as well.

Nintendo is like Apple; the reason they succeed is the insular nature of their system, not the ability to run games that the other systems have. If you want Mario, you have on choice. Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby, Fire Emblem, Metroid, Animal Crossing...Nintendo needs to stop worrying about making themselves like the other systems and worry about improving what sets it apart - high quality first-party games that you can't get anywhere else.
    No it didn't, but it did sell great for what it was (too everyone but Ubi). But it was a title that mature gamers would want, if more work was put into it (weapons and graphics wise). It was a original concept as far as I know, dieing makes you a new character and you have to kinda of restart, plus it brought back original survival horror that most modern games ignore. And you said they needed to franchises. Also the amazing grandfather of Mario/Zelda/Pikmin/ect is making a new IP.

Nintendo has never tried to make itself like the other systems.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    Um the system is vastly open to indies. They get a dev kit to test waters for 6 months, support from Nintendo, possible funding if Nintendo wasn't so stubborn. There is over 263 indies coming to the Wii U.

I love my Wii U. It has the titles I want (Nintendo first-parties), with the occasional third party, tons of indie content. I love the gamepad, minus the analog triggers kinda. I really like Off-TV Play, how the gamepad is incorporated in some games (ZombiU, Lego City U, few others.)

I kinda don't like playing with a traditional controller like the Dualshock, and Xbox controllers. Also hate most if not all the games coming on thats non-nintendo/some indies. I was really hoping this gen would be different, and it seemed like it was going to be different from the HD twins gen, sadly it really isn't.

A 6-month devkit and approval from Nintendo is still a very substantial barrier to entry; it's definitely not "vastly" open to indie development. Other consoles still have a barrier to entry as well but from what I've heard it's definitely not as mysteriously concealed as Nintendo's own environment is.

I think a lot of the issues plaguing the Wii U are actually affecting other current-gen hardware as well; just to a lesser extent for a number of reasons. It boils down to extremely lackluster software, both third and first-party. We were hit with a pseudo-breakthrough with motion controls last gen but now that it's starting to cool down as a semi-fad, we're stuck looking for the next 'big thing'. And there doesn't seem to be one.

However two issues that might be particular to the Wii U are probably marketing and the game pad. Marketing being the argument that the general public doesn't quite know the difference between a Wii U and a Wii, and the game pad being the fact that I've still yet to see a truly groundbreaking use of it. Even first-party titles are beginning to recommend the 'Pro' controller or whatever it's called in favour of using the game pad. It just seems like a very confused piece of hardware at the moment.

countryemo

Years
  • A 6-month devkit and approval from Nintendo is still a very substantial barrier to entry; it's definitely not "vastly" open to indie development. Other consoles still have a barrier to entry as well but from what I've heard it's definitely not as mysteriously concealed as Nintendo's own environment is.

I think a lot of the issues plaguing the Wii U are actually affecting other current-gen hardware as well; just to a lesser extent for a number of reasons. It boils down to extremely lackluster software, both third and first-party. We were hit with a pseudo-breakthrough with motion controls last gen but now that it's starting to cool down as a semi-fad, we're stuck looking for the next 'big thing'. And there doesn't seem to be one.

However two issues that might be particular to the Wii U are probably marketing and the game pad. Marketing being the argument that the general public doesn't quite know the difference between a Wii U and a Wii, and the game pad being the fact that I've still yet to see a truly groundbreaking use of it. Even first-party titles are beginning to recommend the 'Pro' controller or whatever it's called in favour of using the game pad. It just seems like a very confused piece of hardware at the moment.

Well yeah, at least they give it to you for free to see.and from I've heard indie devs have nothing but good things to say, which maybe why Wii u is getting more than the other 2 ATM.

I can't even imagine some games without a gamepad (zombiu), and I like its design more than the tradional.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    Well yeah, at least they give it to you for free to see.and from I've heard indie devs have nothing but good things to say, which maybe why Wii u is getting more than the other 2 ATM.

I can't even imagine some games without a gamepad (zombiu), and I like its design more than the tradional.

You seriously think the Wii U's getting more indie support than other platforms?

countryemo

Years
  • You seriously think the Wii U's getting more indie support than other platforms?

I think I saw about 100+ for the others, and and about 270 for the Wii u. I said ATM because unity said something about indies and e3. Microsoft still is not easy to work with.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    I personally wouldn't judge until the new Smash Bros. It's bound to be a system seller.

Not if the 3DS version is released first, which is the case. Any casual player will pick it up instead of the Wii U version, completely demolishing its system-selling point for the home console.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • I'm curious if the Wii U version of Super Smash Bros will have exclusive content; that way, they can work out all the kinks from the 3DS version and still have a selling point so people will buy the Wii U version.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    I'm curious if the Wii U version of Super Smash Bros will have exclusive content; that way, they can work out all the kinks from the 3DS version and still have a selling point so people will buy the Wii U version.

I don't think that selling point will be enough to attract anybody who's not seriously into Smash Bros. The moment the 3DS version comes out will be the moment people stop thinking about buying it for the current gen, especially when both are being marketed as being pretty much the same game (which they kind of are).

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • You seriously think the Wii U's getting more indie support than other platforms?

Well, it's not Steam, but yeah. Sony and Nintendo have been making a big push, and developers have been pretty favourable to Nintendo - even if it takes forever for anything to land there

I don't mind my Wii U, although I only have a few games for it. However, the only concerns I really have is the rising price of the software. It's only going to get more expensive from here on out. I don't feel like paying $60 for a Mario game, only to finish it in a couple of weeks and never play it again.

Once they announce a few more titles that are relevant to my interests, and drop the prices a bit, I might be a bit more optimistic on the system.

I know in Canada, gaming prices across the board have increased about $5 or so. But software prices have been falling otherwise as a trend

I personally wouldn't judge until the new Smash Bros. It's bound to be a system seller.

I don't know. Different stages, better graphics, more music... otherwise it's the same game. And lacking an online mode the 3DS game has at that

Last edited:
    Back