• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

the toughest Elite Four?

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
  • i always have trouble with the FRLG Elite Four but I'm not sure if that's just a result of the level curve in the game or the elite four themselves being difficult. which Elite Four have you had the most trouble with?

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Sun & Moon's Elite Four were actually pretty tough. Maybe it's because I didn't have the Exp. Share switched on throughout the game but it actually felt like a real challenge when facing them for the first time. DPPTs E4 gave me some trouble too, throughout both games. In Diamond and Pearl the levels were drastically high for that stage, then in Platinum they were lowered but some Pok?mon were replaced with much stronger Pok?mon.

Years
  • I'd say the Alola Elite Four. They can actually prove troublesome due to having maxed EVs/IVs in some stats, along with each of their aces using a Z-Move. Kukui at the end isn't anything to sneeze at as well.

Sinnoh and Hoenn comes close, but Unova does get credit for some tough Pokemon like Shauntal's Chandelure and both Marshal and Caitlin's strong teams.

Years
  • Second Round FR/LG E4 and Sinnoh Platinum E4.
    X/Y was piece of cake, didn't play S/M so I can't tell.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I think it's Unova.

Fighting
    Dark
    Ghost
    Psychic

Tough types to beat. And if we're counting the champion too, Iris with all her Dragon types, hoo boy.

Years
  • FRLG E4 is pretty tough, the level curve is pretty significant and Lance is honestly one of the toughest Elite Four members in the history of Pokemon imo.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    FRLG and BW. BW always surprises me with how hard it can actually be, and I haven't even tried rematching yet.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • Elite Four Hardest to Easiest

1. Johto - Great types and gave my team a lot of problems and Karen has a Vileplume and Gengar so you can't just bring a Fighting Type and sweep. Even the curious Will is tricky with his Natu. Champion Lance also gave me my toughest battle I have ever had in the games.

2. Alola - Whilst Flying and Rock are not considered Elite Types all the members are strong. The use of Z Moves is an added challenge. Whilst Flying type member Kahili had little backstory she is arguably the strongest member, Mandibuzz and Skarmory are challenging in different ways, main Pokemon Toucannon will take something down if you don't have a counter. Other than Braviary the Champion is no slouch either.

3. Unova - Fighting, Ghost, Psychic and Dark are all Elite Types and three out of the four members pose a challenge. Caitlin has an excellent team with Ace Gothitelle being the star if able to set up a Calm Mind, Shauntel may have the strongest Pokemon of any of the four with Chandelure whilst Marshal's solid team is led by the fast and hard hitting Mienshao. Grimsley lets the side down with a generally underwhelming team. Iris is a good Champion and her Haxorus is a worthy ace.

4. Kanto - I perhaps should have put this higher if only due to Lorelei's well rounded team and Lance's Dragons. The limited Pokedex hurt and it will be interesting to see how the teams look if Kanto is revisited. Blue's a good Champion some of his team (Especially Exeggcutor) aren't what they were

5. Hoenn - One of my favourite regions and whilst I like the Elite Fours personalities here none of the teams were overly difficult. Whenever I face Glacia in AS I wish Walrein got the Mega instead of Glalie. Steven is a good Champion.

6. Sinnoh - Very easy teams in Diamond and Pearl on the whole. Aaron had a Beautifly AND Dustox in an Elite Four team and Bertha and Flint had nothing to worry anyone. Lucian's team was solid with his annoying Bronzong. Things were a little better in Platinum. Cynthia may be the best Champion ever but given how easy the DP Elite Four were before her I can't put it above Hoenn.

6. Kalos - Whilst some new types as part of the Elite Four was welcome this E4 felt strangely easy. I liked Diantha but outside Mega Gardevoir and Goodra her team wasn't great.

Years
  • BW always surprises me with how hard it can actually be, and I haven't even tried rematching yet.

I've never rematched Unova's Elite Four yet, and for good reason. The arrangement of Fighting, Dark, Psychic and Ghost is a mighty force, which explains why all those types are the most common when it comes to Elite Four usage.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • Kanto was the hardest for me, at least the first time. I blame it on me being nine at the time.

Years
  • I really have to go with Alola's, they may not be the hardest per se, but they are the most cumbersome and obnoxious with how buffed their stats are. I mean, you know something's wrong when a Poliwrath survives a Thunder from a Vikavolt. That happened to me in my first playthrough.

Unova's isn't far behind though, particularly with how strong they are in B2W2's Challenge Mode. Metagross and Choice Scarf Chandelure both say hi.

As for Sinnoh, I feel like people overrate them, at least the first three members, but not Lucian with his Alakazam and Bronzong (and Espeon and Gallade in Platinum).

colter519

Youngster
    Years
  • Sun & Moon's Elite Four were actually pretty tough. Maybe it's because I didn't have the Exp. Share switched on throughout the game but it actually felt like a real challenge when facing them for the first time. DPPTs E4 gave me some trouble too, throughout both games. In Diamond and Pearl the levels were drastically high for that stage, then in Platinum they were lowered but some Pok?mon were replaced with much stronger Pok?mon.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who turns off the exp. share for the main playthrough of the game. Alola's elite 4 had enough of a level curve that I actually used the exp. share to get caught up. They did pose a bit of a challenge, but I'm having a hard time gauging difficulty levels since I've just been playing monotype runs lately (for alola I used only alolan grass types, including exeggcutor to make it a full team) and Johto is really tough when running a poison team in HGSS

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • Unova is definitely difficult, first time through took me several times to get through and that was only because I relented and got myself a Mandibuzz. Every run I have done though, there is always at least one E4 member that gives me trouble. First time it Shauntal, the next two times it was Marshal and Caitlin is no slouch either.

Other tough ones were Johto. always go in a tad underleveled and the increasing levels, culminating in Lance's team was the most awful thing. Only reason I don't rank it first is that Suicune pretty much wrecks the E4 even though it is only strong against two of the members, Suicune was just so OP in GSC. Otherwise, I consider it on par with Unova sans Suicune.

Lastly, I'd say Alola. When you are 20-25 levels higher and still don't OHKO every single mon (besides those with Sturdy), you know that this E4 is strong. Interestingly, it was the Ghost member, Acerola, who i found to be the weakest though ghost would be considered the most elite of the 4 members' typings by most people. Not to mention Kukui's Decidueye almost single-handedly sweeping my entire team. Thanks Kommo-o

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Sinnoh (had a lot of difficulty against Lucian my first time)
    Alola (spent more time healing/reviving my Pok?mon than battling lol)

Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2019
    Kanto Elite Four was really hard for me to beat on the first try.

Johto Elite Four was tough for me to beat aswell.

Hoenn Elite Four was really hard for me to beat on the first time around.

Sinnoh Elite Four was really the toughest to beat.

Unova Elite Four was really the strongest and very hard to beat.

Years
  • Lastly, I'd say Alola. When you are 20-25 levels higher and still don't OHKO every single mon (besides those with Sturdy), you know that this E4 is strong. Interestingly, it was the Ghost member, Acerola, who i found to be the weakest though ghost would be considered the most elite of the 4 members' typings by most people. Not to mention Kukui's Decidueye almost single-handedly sweeping my entire team. Thanks Kommo-o

I can tell you they are the scariest Elite Four since they actually invested in EVs and IVs, to the point of maxing out certain stats. Their Pokemon gain wide coverage movesets in rematches, and then you have annoyances like Olivia's Relicanth with Yawn (and supposed maxed Speed), and Kahili's Mandibuzz and Oricorio, who love to spam Toxic and Teeter Dance on you. Two of Olivia's Pokemon have Sturdy as well, so have fun taking big damage while trying to take them down. And of course all their aces (Crabominable, Lycanroc, Palossand, Toucannon) all possess Z-Moves that will kill you.

Back