• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Poll] The True First

Who Came First

• Mew

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Arceus

Votes: 13 72.2%

• Total voters

pkmin3033

I'd say the Creator - Arceus - comes before the Ancestor - Mew - because someone had to have created the ancestor in the first place, and whilst they're both Pokemon, I think there are Pokemon that don't come from Mew, like the Ultra Beasts and perhaps Deoxys as well. Mew seems more like an ancestor for those that originate solely from Pokearth, rather than everything the way it used to before the franchise expanded to include literal gods and beings from alternate dimensions.

Years
    Mew, for the nostalgia. While Arceus was presented as an actual God of Creation, the fact that Pokemon has less character development than Homer Simpson (duh) makes it unreliable as lore.

I think Pokemon misunderstood what diversity is about and went full ham with as much "unique" content as they could just to stomp out possible future stories with monsters that have abilities by claiming copyrights on designs. While I want to like Arceus, this makes it offputting.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    The Pokemon that is said to have created the whole universe would naturally have come before anything else

Mew being the "ancestor of all Pokemon" is just something that they did without thinking ahead long-term, though it's not like that they could've known at the time that Pokemon would end up becoming one of the most lucrative franchises ever and that they'd still be making new Pokemon/games ~25 years later.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I'll go with Mew. If it's a matter of evolution vs creationism I'll go with evolution.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    It's said Arceus came from an egg and created the universe after it hatched. So, I'm going with Arceus. But Mew is probably the first Pokemon that wasn't born from Arceus. So, honestly, this is a really difficult question for me to answer. They're both "first" in their own way.

Arceus created the three dragons, the lake trio, so those Pokemon all came from Arceus.
    But Mew is the ancestor of all Pokemon, and contains dna of all of them, aside from the Lake Trio, the Dragons (Dialga, Palkia, Giratina). Everything started because of Arceus, but everything else came from Mew.

So, I'm going to have to go with both, for this one.

@ edit Dawn brought up Ultra Beasts and Deoxys. So, I agree with Dawn that not all Pokemon came from Mew, but Pokemon that came from Earth did.

Years
    this is sort of a chicken and egg question, isn't it? :o

but i went with arceus anyway because it makes more sense to me that it would create mew, in which it would have the dna of pretty much every other pokemon (including arceus itself) in existence

Back