• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: The Underground Hangout: Press "F" for jdthebud

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Yes, I do not think the UG was as good as it was back then, mainly because people have started acting so immature and as Gunner said, they are taking it too seriously. And I don't mean by taking the game seriously because there's nothing wrong with that, Heck I can even be considered as the "serious" type. I mean people taking the game too seriously they start thinking that, like, the accusation is because of something personal? This recently happened and although I admittedly have personal problems with someone I always take it out of the game.

Bac nailed it. This is a game based on distrust and full of debates you can't expect people to be the nicest boys ever. Don't take everything personally and that's rule number one. It's just a game.

The main problem here I feel is drama. Maybe we had some of that in UG 2015 but what has this become? Some sort of Battlefield? There are people in the UG that dislike each other and they take it all in the games and they'd go as far as bringing it up. Like, why? Do you want to bring over personal problems into the game? Do you want to turn the Mafia game into something else? Some people have even left because of personal attacks thrown at them. Because of drama people will start attacking the ones they dislike the most and form some sort of alliance with their friends. This doesn't unify us and this is not how the game should be played. I'm not forcing someone to like the other but don't bring in your personal stuff in the game. I'm not saying to not be dramatic in the game but don't bring drama you had outside of the games into the UG

So rule number is repeated so many times but nobody listens to it. Don't take the game personally.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • uhhh basically we decided that we want more nilla and nilla-ish games to draw fresh blood. and a few rule changes to facilitate that? so a cycling short nilla game that doesnt count toward active game cap. faster gm cooldown. oh just heres a cp from myself

"okay also: let's do a little compilation brainstorm for proposed ideas and rule changes
    we want: a short vanilla game running at all times. the vanilla games to be excluded from the game cap. as little time between SU status games as possible. a quicker GM cooldown time.
    what else did we say?
    oh, a host ready to go for the next nilla game before the current one ends OR a mod taking up the mantle if the proposed host cant."

"the last thing we need rn is a restriction on hosting imo
    maybe at least make it so the gm has to rest for a week after their game finishes? that allows others to get in without putting a huge restriction on gms
    also the mods could totally be like "yo can we put you on hold so others have a chance lol"
    if it ever became a problem"

"our goal is to draw new people in and get them used to concepts before throwing them into complex games"

also hello i am going to submit my first game tmrw and its gonna be vanilla as all hecke so theres that

Last edited:

Abby

#freecoffee
    Years
  • Really trying to restrain myself from posting more than just 'tea'

I may not be the eldest, nor most mature player here, but I hope you consider my opinion as you would any other. I believe that part of the problem is our 'innovations' that end up with the game turning complex and people losing interest. Thus they get bored, and agressive even. This overcomplication is something that I am guilty of, and I think a couple of people were unsatisfied. Despite this, Innovation to the game can bring new life to our community, for example, Stat style games.

Another way that I think the community is getting more 'toxic' is that due to our numbers decreasing, we often end up playing against the same people. Previous interactions can just keep getting blown out of proportion, and a lot more salt is spread because of this.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    In the three games I've been in here so far, I've only had issue with people calling me an idiot on day 1 of a grand plan that lasted until day 10, but other than that, great section.

Alex Kaz

#freecoffee
    Years
  • Eh. Well, I didn't make this post to make fun of her. It's just that she is soooo against people playing the game more strategically.
    I wasn't here when UG became a thing, but no matter how you see it, it was just a bunch of mafia newbies having discovered a new game and acting all excited about it. As newbies, naturally you would mess around, joke a lot and try to learn the game.
    Which is exactly what happened. People learned how to actually play the game. And as they became better, the mafias became better at hiding. To counter this, town sided people needed to get their shit straight and play better. And by playing better I mean find ways to discover who is scum.
    And so tactics were created, strategies were deployed and the true nature of the game started to show : it highly depended on people actively confronting one another trying to solve the game.

Sadly, this is what Gunner dislikes. She wants to play mafia so she can joke and mess around. And now she can't do that because the majority is set on playing more strategically.
    Essentially, this is just a difference in how people are having fun. Some people, like Gunner, have fun by derping the hell out of them. Some others, like me, have fun by scum hunting and trying to solve the game.
    That's the core problem we have right now as a community.

Getting salty and overreacting, either by pushing too much to the point of becoming rude or by being overly defensive when asked about motives and thinking it's a personal attack, is a secondary problem whether you guys like it or not. Yes, it needs to be toned down because it's becoming annoying, but even then the core problem will still be there.
    Honestly, it feels like the community has been divided into two factions and has become a battlefield. That's where the salt originates from.
    Unless both sides realize that everyone's reason to be here is the same, to have fun, problems are gonna keep arising. Please try to understand that not everyone's idea of having fun is the same. And try to get along with one another.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
  • I'll have to disagree on that point. It's entirely possible to play the game in a lighthearted manner and still scumhunt in the same way. I didn't come to the UG as a novice, nor did all of the members that first started playing here. A number had played the game for years.

It's not that people figured out how to play the game; it's that the general trend of users changed. Many old users left and new ones came in, and others adapted to the behavior of the new ones.

I know I stopped playing in the way Gunner's referring to when the UG itself headed in that direction. And I think the forum has suffered greatly for it.

But it's not a simple fix that anyone is going to enact anytime soon.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    i just think we need new blood at this point

FrequentInfiniteBufeo-size_restricted.gif

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
    Years
  • It's possible that intentionally smaller games could help some, like 10-15 people. It would reduce the number of people to keep track of.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • Hi, A few of us have been talking, and can we please address the issue that's currently plaguing the UG right now? Most of you had noticed it, but lately a lot of salt (and not the good kind) has been thrown at each others faces. I'm gonna say this now, this ain't fun. I don't know why this is happening, and I hope I could start a discussion up to everyone in the UG. Please, for the love of god, try to be objective about this. You can state your feelings right now, but can everyone promise not to retaliate. We need to fix the discord in the UG right now, and I need everyone's help.

I'm late on this but Gunner wanted my input, so here it is.

There seems to be a lot of taking sides for some reason. I read a conversation the other day where there were literally accusations of who agrees with who the most often in games.

Everyone could stand to be kinder, myself included. I know when I first get here I got attacked personally for making an aggressive play, and not even by the person I made the play on. That kind of thing should just not happen.

Can the rudeness and can the bad attitudes. Let's just play the game.

Last edited:

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
  • Everyone could stand to be kinder, myself included. I know when I first get here I got attacked personally for making an aggressive play, and not even by the person I made the play on. That kind of thing should just not happen.

That's because your first "aggressive play" here was just incredibly rude and entirely uncalled for, and was also a personal attack on someone else, lol. And it was the first time that had happened here to such an extent. So that whole situation should not have happened.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
  • Aaaanyways, I'm working on reforming the beginner's guide. It really needs an update, now that we don't have a queue anymore. I do want us to settle what things that are going to be constant from here on out, because I'm planning to put them on the guide as well.

Years
  • Aaaanyways, I'm working on reforming the beginner's guide. It really needs an update, now that we don't have a queue anymore. I do want us to settle what things that are going to be constant from here on out, because I'm planning to put them on the guide as well.

You shouldn't have to worry about including anything we've been discussing in your guide for the most part I'm going to re-vamp the rules thread when we make our changes since it hasn't even been alteredto reflect the removal of the queue yet.

Back