• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Discussion Theme discussion

Years
    My bad, I thought there are like 13 Z-Crystals + some special ones.

So if we go with Tapu's theme, will the teams be named after the Tapus, islands or something else?

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    The Tapu idea might be a good thing to fall back on. We should keep brainstorming more creative ideas and keep the Tapu idea in our back pocket. :)

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    If you settle on something that needs Laslow/devs, make sure to not take too long to decide, to give them enough time to implement features.

Years
    Before proceeding, I want to make sure that, at the very least, a majority of us are on board with the Tapu idea.

Here's what I have currently, summing everything up from what we've discussed so far:

2018 PokeCommunity Get-Together theme: Tapu Island Challenge!​

The theme for this years Get Together is all about showcasing your Tapu Spirit! Compete with other Islands and represent your Island Guardian! Rewards for winning each of the events comes with winning Z-Crystals, so make sure to collect them all to win!

How this would possibly work:

• Each team would be assigned to a Tapu Guardian, similar to last year in which people were assigned teams of Doctrina, Gloria, etc.
    • Winners in events would receive Z-Crystals. These Z-Crystals may or may not be worth a certain amount of points, or they could just be a one-time thing.
    • Teams that have the most Z-Crystals wins!
    • I assume that either a quiz thing would be done to decide who belongs to which team, or users would decide themselves on which team they're assigned to. If it's the latter, Tapu Bulu is the less popular one so I guess that might not be fair.

There are others who have suggested a PMD-style Get Together which I actually think is really neat but requires some extra kinks here and there. Here's what I can come up with, feel free to expand/discuss/come up with something different:

2018 PokeCommunity Get-Together theme: PokeCommunity Mystery Dungeon!​

The theme for this years Get Together is all about being the best rescue team! Work together with your rescue team and compete in events to get the most points!

How this would possibly work:

• I'd suggest using a predetermined rescue team for people to be assigned to. There are so many rescue team possibilities that for the sake of making this WAY easier, we'd just choose ourselves what Rescue Teams people would be assigned to, what Pokemon they would consist of, etc.
    • Winners in events would receive Rescue Points.
    • Teams that have the most Rescue Points wins!
    • Quiz would be done to see who would be assigned to which Rescue Team.

Feel free to discuss which idea we'd prefer etc.

Last edited:
    Years
    The Tapus all have some sort of trait from the ruins they live in right? They also all have different roles they play on a team. It shouldn't be too hard to assign via a personality quiz like last year.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Something simple that'll get an even distribution across the Tapus. Otherwise we can randomize it, i suppose. Though I'd like them to have a small influence in it.

So, I think we should build a bit of a narrative here. Like, the Tapus have contracted the top trainers of Alola to gather the Z-Crystals for.... ritual reasons? combat reasons? idk. Each crystal is worth one point, and to the victor goes the spoils.

Idea: we assign "types" to different events at random that correspond with the Tapus primary types (electric / psychic / grass / water) and those z-crystals are worth double. If the thread corresponds with the user's Tapu, it's worth triple. just something to vary things up and gear more attention to certain events maybe? Could be too complicated.

Years
    Sure, sure.

What's the cause of this Island Challenge madness??​

I gotta be honest and forward with you -- Tapu Koko is largely to blame here -- and all because the silly Pokemon loves battles and competition too much! It managed to drag the rest of the Tapus into its schemes too -- all to prove which Island Guardian had the best Trainers around, with the Z-Crystals as prizes! Better hope to win the most competitions to please your Island Guardian... no pressure, though.

.... Maybe just a bit.

Idea: we assign "types" to different events at random that correspond with the Tapus primary types (electric / psychic / grass / water) and those z-crystals are worth double. If the thread corresponds with the user's Tapu, it's worth triple. just something to vary things up and gear more attention to certain events maybe? Could be too complicated.

I really do like this idea in concept, but I feel like we'd get complaints of GT management being biased when arbitrarily assigning types, especially if we plan on participating in the GT ourselves and are placed into specific teams. It's kind of a thorny issue, I think. Even moreso if some of us are placed into competing teams. x.x

Last edited:
    Years
    Okay, here's my idea:

The whole thing is one big festival that take place once every X years. Users are sorted into teams base on their island. During the festival, there are several events that rewards Z-Crystals. I'm thinking events can give out more pieces of 1 Z-Crystal (given that in the games even random regular trainers can have Z-Crystal and Guzma had like a box full of Bugium Z) - for example: The team that win will get 5 pieces, 2nd team 3, 3rd only 1 and the last one gets nothing.

But I love colours' idea.

Years
    So... Long time ago, Tapu Koko wanted to fight so he it drags other Guardians into some kind of competition and now we have festival that celebrates this? Something like that? :D

As you enter Iki Town, Hala approaches you and explains that each of the four Alola islands has a guardian, and that the festival is held for people to express their gratitude to these deities.

It's already canon that festivals are held in Alola to honor each tapu, so I think we can easily make something out of this. Professor Kukui has decided to gather everyone together to represent the four tapus in an all-out competition/festival that involves collecting Z-Crystals scattered across the Alolan islands. No need to get too crazy with the story behind these competitions imo since we already have something that is canon in the games themselves.

And we can make badges for people to show their teams in their postbit since the code is already there from when we had houses and wouldn't need too much more modification. Having this viewable in people's postbits means more would notice and participate. =)

Specific Z-Crystals being worth more if they match the tapu's type seems like a cool idea if we can iron out the details without getting too confused on how to make it work but then we'd have to make doubly sure events for those crystals in particular are fair and can have as many participants as possible. Things like ROM hack map-offs and egg swaps wouldn't work well since not everyone has the ability to contribute or a video game to trade on.

Years
    What's the cause of this Island Challenge madness??

For those of you who have already played Sun and Moon, you may already be familiar with the Island Challenge dedicated to Tapu Koko, the Island Guardian of Melemele Island. Only this time around in this Get Together, all of the Island Guardians are being represented here! Professor Kukui decided to spin things around a bit and have this festivla involved collecting the most Z-Crystals, with the Z-Crystals only being awarded to event winners.

Think you're up for the challenge?

how's this janna/janp??

Last edited:
    Years
    Great, but I would probably not mention Sun/Moon as it kinda takes away from the RP feel that the theme is trying to create.

It's time for another festival of Island Guardians. Each island is trying to show their gratitude to the Tapus their own way. Don't lose any more time and help your Island Kahuna with preparations. Or would you rather take Professor Kukui's challenge in collecting the most Z-Crystals, with the Z-Crystals only being awarded to event winners. Who knows, maybe you will be able to challenge the Tapus to battle.

Think you're up for the challenge?

Maybe something like this or mix between the both. I'm not best in storytelling, so don't take this as something that must be used.

Back