• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

They call me hell! They call me Stacy!

Years
  • They call me her! They call me Jane! That's not my name! That's not my name! That's not my name! That's not my - name!

Okay now that that brief interlude into song is over, how annoyed do you get when people mispronounce or misspell your name, or call you the wrong name all together? Does it happen often to you? Or are you someone who always forgets people's names and calls them the wrong thing?

I myself and terrible with names, and always forget them. I don't usually call someone the wrong name if I can't remember it because I just don't refer to them by name so as not to offend them. As for my own name people constantly misspell my last name, and teachers/substitutes almost always mispronounce it.

Sirfetch’d

I usually don't see people mispronouncing my first name because well...it's Chase and that is a pretty easy name to say. However, I do get people from time to time who misspell my last name or mispronounce it. I don't get annoyed however as I tend to do the same with a lot of other people haha.

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2017
    My first name and last name are almost always misspelled, mispronounced, or mistaken for totally different names. It's horrible ;_;

Though, I'm pretty good at remembering people's names. If only they could do the same for me and my crazy name. . .

Fire Heart

Reject Revolving Door
    Years
  • My name is Megan but people often refer to me as 'Meagan' which really does annoy me in all fairness. I am often called 'Tegan' and 'Peggie' also by the elderly people at the care home I volunteer at but that doesn't bother me as much.

Controversial?

Bored musician, bad programmer
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 11, 2020
    Pretty much everyone spells it as Ziggy.
    Rabid David Bowie fans can't help but add 'Stardust' when they write it.
    Rabid reggae fans can't help but add 'Marley' when they write it.
    Annoying year 7 teachers trying to be 'cool' spell it as Zyggie.
    Stuck-up, formal *******s call me Zygmund.

It's Zyggy, by the way. Always has been. :P

Crux

Evermore
    Years
  • Price, I will now, forever more, call you Zygmund. It's just too amazing to forget or neglect. Sorry.

But anyway, now-a-days I go by my second name, Eric, or Hall, so it's not really a problem.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2018
    My name can't really be pronounced incorrectly. People sometimes have trouble with my middle name, though. It isn't exactly common, so it's almost amusing to listen to people trying to figure out how to say it.

Years
  • My first name for some reason gives the odd number of people a couple more seconds to figure out how to spell, especially the retail workers when they ask for my name S: I find it quite odd because I never thought my first name would cause anyone trouble...Whereas my last name on the other hand, even though it applies to ~40% of Vietnamese people, tons of people have trouble spelling/saying it. It's like, don't even try, I'll spell it out for you XD As far as pronunciations go, I've gotten a few interesting ones...but I myself don't even know the "right" way of saying it.

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    Its usually mispronounced but I don't fault people for it -- the spelling doesn't really reflect how it's said.

I dunno it doesn't bother me too much either way. Mistakes happen yeah?

Years
  • I have a double barrelled first name. Easy to pronounce but with so many spelling varients it is rarely written correctly. I don't mind though, there are many names I wouldn't know how to spell, even if someone had my name I'd have to check how they are spelling it.
    There is an E on the end, on all the paperwork, wage slips, rotas it is missing. It only annoys me when I have told people many times and they still leave it off. Especially as no one at work calls me by both names but my manager always writes both in notes he leaves for me and he never puts the E. I think he may be doing it on purpose. I also add the E myself on our rota every time it is put up.

Sirfetch’d

I realllly wonder how you guys pronounce my name (Dipu). I'll bet at least half of you will get it wrong.

I actually am curious to hear the correct pronounciation of it :3 I always say dipoo but I feel like that is wrong XD

Years
  • My teachers used to always misspell my name as "Zack" on their rosters and yes indeed I wound up correcting them in the process if I caught it. It was rare for me to have a teacher that didn't misspell it, and for teachers that didn't, I smiled.

Arcturus.

Chews nails and spits napalm
    Years
  • Pronunciation with my name isn't that big an issue, but people will often spell my name wrong since it has multiple spellings. tbh I don't find it that big an issue, I just correct them then move on.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Oh boy. European name (Polish) in Australia? Well...

Getting my name wrong tends to happen more often than now when read. =( Many times in roll call waiting for a maimed attempt at it... In fact, in high school by then I came up with a simple phrase to how to say it, and the rest of the class at times said it in response before I could on occasion. :V

And that's just my first name. The wiser teachers looked at my last name after getting the first name wrong and decided to not bother, haha. Doesn't help that since it's Polish, what appears to be a l is pronounced like a w, and the w like a v.

Back