• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Things That Grind Your Gears!

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
    One thing that grinds my gears in the Pokemon games is when I am looking for a specific Pokemon, and said Pokemon refuses to show up.

I can't believe I forgot this one! When you couldn't give a damn whether they showed up or not you always run into them, but as soon as you start looking they all disappear. D:

Confusion, flinch and paralysis are just the worst ever. Infatuation is also incredibly infuriating. :(

I second this. :(

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
    My point of frustration was when I'm suddenly alerted of nearby Pokémon by DexNav when I'm not asking for it, especially when surfing on water, exploring caves and even paying a visit to Mt. Pyre. Plus, the fact that detected Pokémon moving its spot after a few seconds in aforementioned areas and I'm being unable to walk too fast or too slow when approaching Pokémon unless I want them to escape doesn't help matters. Even though thanks to it that I got shiny Plusle, sometimes I wish there is an option to turn the alert off when I want to.

Last edited:

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Toxic Spikes and Spikes that would sure hurtful if placed multiple times, thankfully flying and pokemon with levitate won't have any effect on them.

Toxic and Leech Seed most nightmarish combo it saps your health like a dripping water.
    Luckily, these hazards can be clear with defog and rapid spin.

magicalgirlj

I liek Popplio
    Years
    Another thing that has been ticking me off lately is the lazy Pokedex in gen 6. In Pokemon X and Y pokedex they just keep re using the same descriptions from previous gens, I guess I can understand for older pokemon, but for gen 5 the previous gen it can only be lazy because they do not feel like coming up with a new description. The ORAS Pokedex is also re using the same pokedex entries from Gen 5 as well. Is it so hard to come up with a different description for Pokemon that were from the previous generation?

Years
    The fact that they didn't add a day/night cycle for FireRed/LeafGreen games, I know it was to mimic the original, but I wanted to see the game how they had planned it but couldn't due to the GameBoy's limits.

Years
    When I played OR/AS I was always annoyed by DexNav encounters in caves, the desert or on water. The fact they keep moving and have a chance to run away makes chaining a frustrating process compared to ones found in grass.

Also, the fact that it's really easy to find yourself breaking a chain with XY's Poke Radar. Only got one successful shiny out of it (albeit with a horrid nature) and was never able to perfect chaining since.

Years
    When your opponent has the same move as you and you've been missing multiple times, but when they use it they get a hit off you on their first try. :(

The three ice floor puzzles in Sootopolis Gym! That was extremely frustrating to the point that I wanted nothing to do with the game for a few days. Luckily, I eventually got pass the puzzle. That was possibly the best day of my life. {XD}

Oh, and you can't forget about Klink. ;)

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
    Staravia. Here's why.

-It killed a teammate who could heve been useful in the long run in my X run.
    -The ones at cycling road gave me a LOT of close calls.
    -The rival's one gave me a LOT of close calls.
    -It gets double team by level up, aka my least favourite move.
    -It also gets endavour. Don't get me started on that with quick attack.
    -It hogged my route 210 encounter in Plat, when I could have gotten something cooler like Scyther.
    -Said Staravia has an actually good nature, so if I lose my Noctowl or any of his back-ups, I'm forced to use that feathered freak.

I never liked that parrot in the first place. Now I hate it.

Years
    I got a few more:
    Replacement of Kris with Lyra.(Or have her be an npc at least)
    No more gambling.
    Mr. Fugi's sprite in HGSS: Why the generic old man sprite?

Years
    -Annoying trying to battle people when all they do is spam legendaries.. It's like bringing a minigun to a pistol fight. I liked legendaries back when i played gen1 like 18yrs ago but now i'd prefer to avoid them. The game isn't as fun if everyone is using Arceus and the like and you make the rest of the 700 or so moot :-/

-Hated how in B2W2 after a certain point like every trainer in the game had Earthquake/stoneEdge/FocusBlast/closeCombat on like every pkmn. Making me not able to be as flexible as i'd like when making my team. it turns out just those few moves are super effective on like 90% of the available pkmn. lol

-Always hated the necessity for trading for certain evolutions. way back in gen 1 i remember really really wanting a golem but not having any friends or means to trade with myself.

-HMs are a pain the the @**... they need to be reworked so that the moves don't take up a move slot and only usable outside combat, or strictly items, or kind of like how abilities are inherit, maybe Fly should be inherit on everything that could obviously do so... something.

-Trying to catch a metang or something and it takes like 30 ultraballs. (Gen5)

-Completely useless pkm like Delibird. At least give them a gimmick that makes them worthy of existing...

magicalgirlj

I liek Popplio
    Years
    Dex Nav encounters in caves and on water, it lasts for a limited time and I can't get there in time
    When trying to catch regular Pokemon and it feels like you are trying to catch a legendary. You chuck so many poke balls and it just keeps breaking out. Good examples are Sabyeye (sorry if that is spelled wrong) and Mawile

Last edited:

blue

gucci
    Years
    High Evasiveness
    Infatuation
    Parafusion
    Being in caves or long water routes with no repels
    Running out of Pokeballs when trying to capture a specific Pokemon

That's some.

Years
    Another thing that grinds my gears... Blue in HG/SS. He kept whopping my ass so much I had to transfer my boss female Swampert from Ruby just to beat him.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
    I just got an Infernape in Plat, and he has the highest offensive stat on the team-in special attack.

Problem? He has NO special attacks currently. There is Flamethrower, which is gonna take a century to acheive. (I am at the 5th gym.)

Back