• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Things that never made sense in Pokemon

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    How Wally leveled up his level 5 Ralts that just had growl.

Perhaps he had Rare Candies? Either that, or maybe he had some TMs? :o If it were the anime world, he would've been able to level Ralts up only with love and care. Anyway, one thing I've always wondered is that since humans do eat Pokémon (was hinted in anime on several occasions), how do they consume ones that are poisonous?

Minato Arisato

Memento mori...
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2016
    Didn't there used to be a thread like this a while back? Did it get shut down?

But to put in my own two cents, how do Pokemon use Dig while you're out surfing?

Years
  • Didn't there used to be a thread like this a while back? Did it get shut down?
    There was a little while back, but it was from more than a month ago, so making a new thread instead of bumping an old one was the right call.

For me, it never made sense when certain Pokemon could learn HM moves, but didn't seem physically equipped to be able to use them. Off the top of my head, any of the first stage early game birds learning Fly, and non-Water types learning Surf (Lickitung, Tyranitar, Rampardos, Pancham, etc.).

Another one that I didn't think of recently is how exactly the evolution cancel technique from the games would apply to real life. Would you yell at your Pokemon to stop evolving? Return them to their Poke Ball? Throw a rock at them? Just one of those game mechanics that only make sense because it's a video game.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • -How can there be female Mr. Mimes?

This is a fault of the English localization team. Mr. Mime's Japanese name, バリヤード - usually romanized as Barrierd, is gender-neutral and simply references its ability to create invisible walls.

Since there was no gender in GenI, there was no harm in making a silly alliterative name like Mr. Mime, but when genders were introduced in GenII, it was already too late to backpedal on the English name. >_>

Does anyone eat Vanillite? I mean, it's practically an ice cream cone.

The Vanillite line is heavily implied to be made of ice crystals that are covered in snow. The whole ice cream thing is simply in how people perceive their body shape, and there's nothing in the games to suggest that there is any actual ice cream in their bodies.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    Why does the game state that Haunter is taller than Gengar, and Gengar taller than its Mega Evolution? It looks vice versa to me.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    This is a fault of the English localization team. Mr. Mime's Japanese name, バリヤード - usually romanized as Barrierd, is gender-neutral and simply references its ability to create invisible walls.

Since there was no gender in GenI, there was no harm in making a silly alliterative name like Mr. Mime, but when genders were introduced in GenII, it was already too late to backpedal on the English name. >_>

Oh, now it makes sense.

Another one I thought of is why does Gengar get Levitate when it clearly does not float? It's always been touching the ground.

Kakarot1212

Resident Programmer
    Years
  • How the heck can pokemon battle underwater or above the water?
    I mean, if you bring out torkoal underwater, then it would be instant K.O right?

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Something to cliche for me to solve this, but I add my 2 scents

- How does the player breathe under water and for how insanely long can he stayed that way. Humans can't stay under water for quite long, but how illogical explanation that in the game, the protag can stay for much longer.

- Doduo and Dodrio seemingly resembles of a ostrich, they are wingless and incapable of FLYING. But how in the name of arecus that they can still learn a FLYING HM (HM02)

- Can a preschooler run their own business and have you seen preschoolers in BW2 make a shop of whatever in Join Avenue they are still 6 or 7 and it's just so wrong in many ways. Youngsters and Lass are also wrong because of their age, Ace trainers as they're ok because their ages is more than Youngster/Lasses and many GROWN-UP trainer classes is OK to run their dream bizz in player's Join Avenue. but for 3 trainer classes it's outrageous

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    - How does the player breathe under water and for how insanely long can he stayed that way. Humans can't stay under water for quite long, but how illogical explanation that in the game, the protag can stay for much longer.

Protagonists are pirates, mate. They can run and cycle forever without getting exhausted, and need no food or sleep. They even float in the air when they send out the Pokémon they're surfing on out of the Pokéball.

Perhaps they are in fact controlled by aliens...

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    People swimming around in the wild ocean of Hoenn, just waiting to battle you :p Some are ridiculously far from land.

Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2014
    It's always the descriptions of the latest legendaries that bother me the most.

-How do you use groudon and kyogre when they're supposed to cause droughts or floods that would kill everyone?

-How does time and space continue to exist when your Dialga or Palkia faints?

-Why does Mewtwo listen to you?

-How on EARTH do you catch Arceus? It's the God of the universe.

-On a side note: How does Wailord fit anywhere, ever?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    -How does time and space continue to exist when your Dialga or Palkia faints?

This one I think I can answer. Space and Time will continue to exist so long as Palkia and Dialga exist. Since they aren't dead when they faint (though everyone, including myself, uses the two words interchangeably), space and time will be ok. Also, in Platinum, defeating Giratina doesn't cause the Distortion World to collapse, so you can assume its the same with the other 2 members of the Creation Trio. If they do die, Arceus can make more Palkias/Dialgas/Giratinas, like how it does in the Sinjoh Ruins event.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    Diglett and Dugtrio can learn HM Cut, but a Zangoose can't. -,-

Years
  • Diglett and Dugtrio can learn HM Cut, but a Zangoose can't. -,-

Yeah, it's weird because Zangoose clearly has claws while Diglett's line don't. And one I want to mention, why can't any Bug/Flying-types not learn Fly but the non-Flying Volcarona and Genesect can? Yanmega even had a Pokedex entry mentioning it could carry an adult human.

Maybe I guess the reason might be the fact bugs are often frail and can't handle a lot of weight. But that wouldn't explain why tiny birds like Pidgey can carry a human? Pokemon logic.

Years
  • What bothers me in Pokemon:

-Of course, how does the Pokemon Center earn profit if their service is always free? (Prob fixed it in later gens with the market being inside it)

-Why is it that when you lose a battle, you black out, rush to a Pokemon center, protecting your team from further harm etc.
    Whereas when other trainers lose, they be like
    "Oh hey good match bro. Here's 500 Poke-dollars. Now if you don't mind, I'm going to stand in this exact spot for the rest of my life with my dead 'mons. :)"

-How the protagonist has infinite stamina and can go on forever without eating, drinking, or sleeping...yet he can't swim.

-Police men at night time
    Policeman: Hey look! A kid wandering the outside world at 3 in the morning. Better battle him.

-When you enter a random house
    Real Life: Aaaagh!! How'd you get in here!
    Pokemon: Oh hi stranger! Would you mind looking after this Pokemon for me?

-Why are bikes so overpriced in Cerulean City?

-Where is your mother's room in the Pokemon games? Does she sleep with you or...?

-How can fainted Pokemons still perform HM moves outside battle?

And many many more.......but hey, Pokemon Logic amirite?

Giovanni Boss

Team Rocket's Head
    Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2023
    Why is Sabrina considered after Koga in RBY? It's more logical the other way around and less random.

How do Pokemon die? There's talk about it at the Pokemon Tower and other places... and yet nothing like that is ever shown.

How come humans have never seen the actual act of PokeSex? Are the eggs brought by some undiscovered stork legendary?

Why does Gliscor weigh so much less than Gligar?

Just a few that came to mind.

I can answer the Sabrina - Koga one: Because their badges got swapped, probably. Marsh Badge was supposed to be the poison one and Soul Badge the psychic one.

Back