• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Things that never made sense in Pokemon

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Nidoqueen & Nidoking can't breed. I've been questioning this ever since I started playing Pokemon lol.
    That is so strange. They can't breed at all or they can't breed with each other? Either way, they seem like two pokémon that should really be up in this breeding business. Hrm. I mean, being divided by gender in species even, and all.

Also, gender-changing Azurill doesn't make sense (but it's because of the different gender ratios).
    Haha, what, it can change gender upon evolving you mean? That would freak me out. I feel like I'm not playing the games enough at all these days.

- Just Diglett in general. But, I've seen pictures that suggest that its a mole with its hands underground, definitely the most likely explanation.
    Yeah, I never accepted Diglett as a proper pokémon tbh. Nor Dugtrio. The fact that they always have to be in the ground wherever they are makes things so complicated. What if you let it out in the water? Or throw the pokéball up into the air and let Diglett jump out like they do so often with pokémon in the anime? It's not even fun-mysterious anymore.

Lil MuDkiP849

Dream Chaser
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Aug 12, 2021
    How can living, organic pokes like Snorlax and Wailord use the move "Self-Destruct" or "Explosion" and just simply faint? I understand having Snorlax with fists of flame for fire punch and whatever in a fictional setting, but idk how to explain these.

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
    Years
  • How can living, organic pokes like Snorlax and Wailord use the move "Self-Destruct" or "Explosion" and just simply faint? I understand having Snorlax with fists of flame for fire punch and whatever in a fictional setting, but idk how to explain these.

They fart.

Being at ground zero, they suffocate.

Years
  • Thought of another one. How can Pokemon like Slowbro, Parasect, Dugtrio, Tyranitar, Slaking, Aggron, Groudon, etc use Aerial Ace? Can you imagine one of those Pokemon doing Aerial Ace? Cuz I can't.

Actually the original name in Japanese means a precise and swift cut... except for Slowbro, that has short arms, most of them should be able to do it. It's more about precision than speed.

How can living, organic pokes like Snorlax and Wailord use the move "Self-Destruct" or "Explosion" and just simply faint? I understand having Snorlax with fists of flame for fire punch and whatever in a fictional setting, but idk how to explain these.

I never understood that xD But maybe since Explosion is physical, it's like they spend all their energies in an all-out-attack, not necessarily exploding. The game uses the same animation for every pokémon in every move, so it can't show exactly what each pokémon does. I'd say each pokémon has its own way of using a move, to match [?] their bodies and capacities.

Years
  • Steel Wing on Elgyem/Beheeyem is pretty strange.

I find it extremely peculiar as well. It's probably oversight on behalf of Game Freak. TM51 used to be Ally Switch on Gen V which Elgyem/Beheeyem can learn, and when it changed to Steel wing, they forgot to change TM compatibility. (There weren't a lot of changes to TMs from Gen V and VI)

At least that's the most logical explanation I can come up with.

Lost Lore

From the Shadows
    Years
  • Steel Wing on Elgyem/Beheeyem is pretty strange.

...I had to go look this up, and... What. I have a new-found respect for Elgyem/Beheeyem. They're obviously forming wings out of Psychic energy- there's no other explanation. And that sounds really awesome.

GF derped and forgot to change that when the TM was switched to Steel Wing, more likely, as has been said. But still hilariously awesome.

@ the thread, I'm sure it's been said before, but using Fly and Dig in buildings sure must cause a lot of damage to them... I wonder if any unlucky trainers have to pay out of their pockets for repairs. Never mind the fact that the former must be really difficult with limited room.

And then there's Inkay's evolution method. Do you like, hold it upside-down or something when it reaches a certain level? How would that work in-universe? The mental image of one suddenly evolving into Malamar and causing its trainer to fall over courtesy of the weight gain is very amusing, though.

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
    Years
  • And then there's Inkay's evolution method. Do you like, hold it upside-down or something when it reaches a certain level? How would that work in-universe? The mental image of one suddenly evolving into Malamar and causing its trainer to fall over courtesy of the weight gain is very amusing, though.

Heh.

Imagine if t'were the same requirement for Magikarp -> Gyarados.

Homura Akemi

time is f o r e v e r~
    Years
  • The fact that every fruit in the universe has been replaced by Berries. Even bananas, mangoes and apples have become "berries".

berry
    noun
    a small roundish juicy fruit without a stone.

Do bananas look small and roundish? Last time I checked, mangoes had a stone, too.

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2018
    How can you have a dual-type Pokémon with typing's that contradict each other?

i.e: Inkay - Dual Type Psychic-Dark / Pangoro - Dual Type Dark-Fighting / Articuno Dual-Type Ice-Flying

This especially doesn't make sense when your Pokémon is confused and you use a super-effective move meant for the opponent except it backfires and hits your own Pokémon instead. Wouldn't that pretty much be a K.O? How. Does. It. Work!?

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2017
    How do Raikou, Entei and Suicune manage to run away when they are sleeping, paralyzed or Frozen.

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
    Years
  • -Not just Pokémon, but why does no-one have any problem with these random kids just charging into their homes and rummaging around?

-What does a Pokémon trainer do for education? What if their career as a Pokémon Trainer fails?

Not everyone would be able to make a living simply battling 'mons.

Having stopped school at the age of 10, you can end up with some pretty dumb people.

Years
  • - Why is my character in the exact same spot as he was when I last saved? What does he do? Just stand there? Like a trainer?

Dear god! It turns out we've been playing MMOs all along!
    - How can Wailord mate with Skitty?
    - How is Magikarp not extinct?
    - How can Magikarp evolve into Gyarados?
    - Was Ash eating a Magikarp in that one episode or was it just bread? And
    if it was, why was it shaped like a Magikarp?
    - Why is when I breed two Azumarill it makes a Marill and not a Azurill?
    - Why can't I bunny-hop on the Mach-bike?

Nidoking76

Not splitting the party
    Years
  • Actually it can fly in it's Sky Forme activated when it comes in conntact with Gracedia Flowers. It think it gains a second type when in Sky Forme being Grass/Flying. That is why it's standard forme is called Land Forme and it's alternate forme is called Sky Forme. One cannot fly and the other can.

Okay, but it still can use that ability in its not flying form.

Back