• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Thoughts on AI?

Years
  • This Twitter post sums up my thoughts (Not my post):

6BFADx0.png

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Dang, I wish everyone working on ai related things could see this
    Those who worked on it usually had good intentions in mind. It's just that in our economic system these things keep being stuck in its own niche until some business starts advertising it. Which is usually done in a way that is meant to maximize profit. ^^"

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
    Years
  • On the other hand; it's easy to see the possible negative effects. Disinformation is already spread far and wide over social media, just imagine the damage that could be done when convincing deepfakes can be made using AI. Those videos of US Presidents playing video games using AI generated voices are funny and all; but it's easy to imagine how videos could be made using CGI deepfakes and AI voices to spread even more convincing disinfo then before. That's not to mention how many jobs could be at risk of being straight up replaced by AI. How do you guys think AI should be handled? Is regulation the answer? Do we just need to let technology take its course? Can it even be meaningfully controlled now that the cat is out of the bag?

I like it as an idea. The concept that we could have something to make our lives easier than having to google something and fill in the blanks yourself or make something like creating digital art more approachable is really cool. When it's made specifically for personal, safe, respectful use, I don't mind it. Something like the videos of the US presidents playing Mario Kart 64 together, or getting a reference image or inspiration for whatever you wish to create yourself.

It's just, that's not really what it is now. Sometime last year I went down the Replika rabbit hole, learning what it actually was because I was sick of seeing ads for it constantly. I have a big hatred for scams targeting emotionally vulnerable people and things like AI companionship replacing human connections is something that does worry me. People are constantly talking about AI generated images being art theft because they're taking their information from people's images without consent and replicating them. I'm so annoyed by AI images popping up in place of fanart of my favourite characters because I'll either see one I like and go "that's a cool art style, who made that" and be disappointed, or because people will get harrassed and sent death threats because they made art that people assumed was made by AI and they'll lose their passion for creating something. There's so much potential for AI voices to be used for harmful purposes because it could be so easy to imitate someone else, alive or dead. I hate the idea of people's jobs being replaced by AI just because it's easier and cheaper for someone. The thought of writers or artists who want to create something they love having their talents kicked out of the door because having an algorithm without that same desire is "better" sickens me.

I think there are still neat ways to use AI, but that most of the things it can and are being used for aren't that. There's so much potential to burn things to the ground that I just sadly don't believe in the idea we can regulate it.

Years
  • Adding again, apparently their bringing an AI helping cancer treatment here. As a cancer patient, I'm happy to see it used this way.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Not everything as nice or bad when comes to AI. Things like citing a essay from chatgbt is downright alright as there's no plagiarisms involves, there's time it's bad when AI try to imitate an art from an artist and artist fearing AI taken over their business and people tend to favor AI more, instead fearing why not weaponize and train AI with their art style and cash for money. Also there's some darkest parts that is quite illegal I can't say, but it is invovles AI.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • I've gone on thoughts about AI before but tl;dr: it's a solution looking for a problem profits, the impending loss of human civilization and a full return to the feudal system where we'll have to scrape for inhuman wages. Under our current system, nothing good can come from AI and be maintained: it's all sucked by the artificial need of infinite economic growth and the capacity and promise of AI to provide for near-instant, perfectly opinionated answers that don't require paying a salary or granting any rights to, is just too good to pass.

I've heard lots of people swear by AI because it'll find us exoplanets or a cure for cancer or something. But AI not only can't prevent corporations from ramping up the prices of those cures once they are found or invented anyway, it also assures that the property of those cures remains wholly under the grip of corporations as no human processing, thought or art is involved in the development.

Reactions: Nah

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen today
    People used to think this type of technology would come along and perform menial jobs like sanitation, paperwork, etc. Now it's replacing creative jobs, and I find that abhorrent on its own, but now we're in an information dark age. Google keeps showing AI generated results. It's easier than ever to spread misinformation now that you can create fake video evidence. Twitter (and probably Facebook, not that I use it) are flooded with bots. There's so much wrong with the world already, and stuff like Chatgpt has piled onto it. Quite frankly, a worldwide ban on this type of AI is too good for the executives pushing this stuff.

Crystal Berry

[span="text-shadow: 0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.12); font
    Years
  • If we're talking about Chat GPT, I see it as a double-edged sword and I personally benefit from it. I actually use it EVERY day lol. Sometimes it makes stuff up though so it's faaar from perfect and most people are stuck using the old version.

As for AI Art it's pretty terrible... like I've seen people on Discord use it to sell fake art. It's obviously really bad for actual artists and can be easily modified w/ other AI programs to look better and more realistic. I can see people in the future using it to catfish, it's bad for creativity etc.

Last edited:
    Back