• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Thoughts on Hau?

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    Hau is described as a big-hearted boy who quickly befriends the player once they move to the Alola region. He is Hala's grandson, and his favorite food is malasada, a famous treat in the Alola region. Not to mention he probably has one of the best themes in the Alola region!

What are your thoughts on Hau as a rival figure? Anything you think stands out? How about any qualities you dislike? Feel free to come back and add more as you play through the games!

you should listen to this while you type your post hehe
    Spoiler:

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • It's not really anything to do with him as a character, but I really dislike the newer games' habit of making you bump into your rival every 5 minutes or so for random cutscenes and would prefer to just see him infrequently for battles and little else. The fact that I see Hau so often makes me dislike him on that basis.

Putting that aside, otherwise I suppose he's alright. Got quite a good theme, though I haven't progressed far enough in the game to be able to have an opinion on much else haha.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • To be honest, I don't like is theme nor do I like his character. He is just so freaking annoying. I just now got to Akala Island, so my thoughts may change, but from what I know of him so far, he really really annoys me. Probably the most annoying rival in all games.

He reminds me of one of those characters in the anime that does anything for attention and it just really really really annoys me. I like Lillie's character 100 times more.

As for the theme, I don't like most of the music in Alola so far.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • He does seem to load you up on revives, no?

From what I've seen of him so far he just seems to go with the flow. Doesn't really seem phased by much and is self-aware about his tendency to annoy others with his optimism and easy-going attitude. Kid just wants to enjoy the journey.

Gladion definitely fills more of the rival role.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I find him very adorable. I don't seem to mind bumping into him since he's a really bright character and brightens up my day. He also puts in the mind of Barry. Now I wasn't particularly that fond of Barry and I would say Barry is maybe a bit older. By far, he's no Silver/Blue but I do think they did a very good job on developing his character. This is one of those times that there is a friendly character done right.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • I'm neutral to Hau. I can't really hate such a happy-go-lucky fellow just trying to have some fun. Neither do I enjoy his presence all that much. So, he's 'okay' in my book, I guess.

If I had to say anything negative about him, is that he's very fight-happy, lol. While that's not really much of a problem, if only he filled out his team in a more timely manner... However, his beginning battle animation when he throws up the pokeball and catches it, is visually appealing and one of the best in the game, in my opinion. Short, catchy, and sweet.

hoshizorashiro

Sylveon Lover ♡
    Years
  • Hau is a huge dork and I love his theme.
    Overall I haven't played the game enough to be annoyed by him like everyone else has said but I still don't think I'd get annoyed anyway because I think he's a great friendly rival.

Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2022
    I never really liked him. Overtime he showed up I kind of wanted him to leave immediately. He was too happy all of the time. I really want a another rival like silver where you find out they are a terrible person when you meet them, but you find out some of his backstory to see why they are like that, and then by the end of the game they grow to actually be a kinder person.

L'Belle

I am beauty!
    Years
  • What did you think about Hau?

So, Hau's the new rival in this game basically, and I'd say he is what the x and y rivals should have been. A friendly rival DONE WELL. I really liked his character and at story moments, he could actually become serious. And it's very nice for you to get a friend when you just moved to a new place without friends.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2019
    I also liked Hau a lot as a rival! His optimism and enthusiasm were really refreshing. I think he and Lillie balanced each other out, since their personalities complemented each other really well.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • He was alright, definitely not the worst of rivals we've had over the years! For me, it felt like he was overshadowed by some of the more powerful characters that were more focused on throughout the main parts of the storyline. He did show up at most of the major points in the game, but I think towards the later half of the game he kinda trailed off a little for me.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Hau is an actual ray of sunshine that I will protect at all costs. Like the OP said, he's a friendly rival done right and this feels like what they were going for with the XY rivals in a way. I also love his relationship with Gladion? Granted, I'm not done with the game, but I like how they both have seem to have interest in each other and their ideals, Gladion even going as far to say he could never do what Hau is doing in trying to measure up and surpass his Kahuna grandfather.

But really, he's a wonderful rival. Precious malasada boy.

MKC

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2023
    He made me really sad, during the whole game you are basically being the Blue to his Red, always being ahead of him in everything (even the starter choice), but in the end he never catches up, I hated beating him every time, I felt really guilty. Specially once you beat the league and he comes to challenge you and he says he really wanted to win for once.

Despite him making me feel awful every time I beat him he is a mayor step up from XY, at least I cared about him and considered him a friend, he was also a really good comic relief whenever Gladion was around, he got me to laugh quite a couple of time.

Years
  • He's okay. I just dislike one particular part.. It's when you team up with him in the Aether Foundation. Everytime he uses his Z-Move he always attack my Dicidueye! So I always leaf blade his Primarina after using it.

Other then that I enjoy battling him. His reactions towards Lusamine is the best. Pretty okay rival.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen today
    From playthroughs I've watched they usually give him funny voices. He does seem to talk to o much and is overly happy. Kind of in a creepy way. When I told him his joke wasn't funny it was pretty awkward.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I haven't played much, still on the first island, but Hau seems like.... he doesn't have much personality. He's not that bad, I mean I like it when he's there, but not the best rival. In fact, I don't see him as a rival at all, only like a friend who's in an adventure too. I feel "closer" to Lilly.She's an awesome character :3

xXLunaSolXx

I think Hau is alright. He had his moments though. To be honest, I find Gladion better.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 26, 2023
    Thoughts on Hau?

Oh, Hau.

Back