• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Thoughts on Hau?

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    As a rival I find him kind of weak, in the past I had always difficulties to win against him/her. But now he became kind of weak.

Years
    Personally i don't like him as a character at all Something about his smile hits a nerve inside of me And when he fights you He's so weak compared to the other characters you fight Like Gladion Yea i like fightning him much more that Hau I just cannot stand how he's so blind about almost anything Everytime i see him in game I just go like Oh it's Hau again... I think they could've designed his character better Made him more interesting But we got nothing of that Instead we got a upbeat character Who just won't stop giving that Annoying smile each time We meet him.

Years
    Gladion kinda fills the role of the more serious rival while Hau fills the role of the more friendly rival if you ask me. Which is perfectly acceptable in my book. Perhaps we could have one super serious rival and one easy going rival in a future games? I'd be down with that.

Overall, he's pretty decent, though.

Years
    I disliked him in the beginning. I thought he was going to be annoying. However, as time went on, I really enjoyed his company! He was funny and memorable in my opinion :)

Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2017
    I haven't really gotten far into the game, but while I kind of like him, I think he falls flat in comparison to other characters. He so far lacks a story besides beating his grandfather and becoming Kahuna.

People say X & Y did the friendly rival thing wrong, but I think it's because Gamefreak had spread themselves a little thin in comparison to other games, since you had 5 rivals. I think it would;ve been better if they knew how to strategically develop all teh characters slowly instead of having wild jumps of character.

So far, I think hau falls a little flat for me.Like he lacks character development (I'm not that far) in comparison to characters like Lillie and Gladion.

I like happy-go lucky characters, but usually, I need them played off a darker/snarky character, or else I find them to much.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
    I like that he sees the positive in a lot of things, but so much can get grating, and feels really unrealistic. I can't hate such a happy-go-lucky guy though. Also, he has a backstory and an unique motivation, but doesn't add anything to the story as Lillie takes up most of the screentime. I'd probably put him somewhere in the middle in terms of favorite rivals. Below Silver/Cheren & Bianca/Barry/Hugh and above Brendan & May/XY friends/Blue.

Would like to know who his father is though.

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2016
    I don't like that grin he always has on his face all the time. lol

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2016
    Spoilers ahead!

The best way that I ever saw it put was that he's not the rival.

Through the whole game, you're finishing trials first, you have the stronger starter, you're generally ahead of him through the whole story, and you even defeat the elite 4 before he does, and when he beats the elite 4 it's you waiting for him on that chair.

Hau isn't the rival. You are.

Years
    I prefer the rivals from the good old days. Red/Blue/Yellow, Gold/Silver. I remember always giving them really bad names... oh the good old days :')

Years
    I find Hau a very happy-going type of character, plus he's the first main rival to have a starter that's actually weak to the one you chose (I know Bianca is there, but she's more of a secondary rival in B/W since Cheren was the main rival there) but he does develop a strong team, notably an Alolan Raichu that is definitely OP, along with his starter getting their respective type's Z-Move (Bloom Doom/Inferno Overdrive/Hydro Vortex).

I'm kinda disappointed he settled only for the type-based Z-Moves and not the starter's special Z-Move because it would have been more interesting. Still don't get why he can use Z-Moves yet doesn't seem to be wearing a Z-Ring from my observation.

He may not exactly be at the top of my fave rivals list, but he still ranks okay for me.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I just beat the game and lmao I was not expecting daddy issues w Hau but here we are. Hope he finds him. :')

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    not the worst rival ever, but I really didn't care for him. He's more of an annoying side character than a rival. I remember there's a part in the game where you meet up with Gladion and he asks if you two should wait for Hau or not and it gave you the option of saying something like "he'll show up." made me laugh because I felt like I really would have said that

Years
    Although I usually dislike the friendly rivals in Pokemon, for some reason I actually like Hau and think he's a really fun, energetic character and I'll definitely remember him after I've finished the game.

Years
    I don't like Hau, really. For entertainment purposes, when there's a forced Double Battle Team-Up with Hau, I attack his Pokémon before attacking the intended Opponent. Hey, I'm a foreigner to Alola, I didn't know that's how Double Battles work. Isn't it more like a Battle Royal? *lie*

Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2017
    I don't like Hau, really. For entertainment purposes, when there's a forced Double Battle Team-Up with Hau, I attack his Pokémon before attacking the intended Opponent. Hey, I'm a foreigner to Alola, I didn't know that's how Double Battles work. Isn't it more like a Battle Royal? *lie*

While I wanna say that's entertaining, wasn't there double battles in fr/lg? And also canonically, the kanto the main character is from is different then the previous games.

Back