• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Throw all the Pokeballs!

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
Years
  • Are you the kind of person who only throws the original red and white pokeball at pokemon?

I know I am. I like how much of an achievement it feels every time I catch a Pokemon, especially legends. Every legend I caught in my Black 2 was captured with the standard Pokeball, even soft resetting so I can find decent stats and nature.

So the question applies, Do use the standard pokeball all the time?

Last edited:

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • No I just throw what Pokeball's appropriate for the situation. If the Pokemon's weak then I usually do throw a Pokeball or Nest Ball. For rare or legendary Pokemon, I'd used a Ultra Ball. If a Pokemon's in a cave or being caught at night, then I sometimes even use a Dusk Ball, but to me the poke ball I use don't really matter.

Years
  • No I don't, because I know that some Pokemon love to refuse to get into that regular Poke Ball when I throw it, so I resort to a type of Poke Ball that can catch it better.

I also like to take advantage of Dusk Balls if I'm catching something at night or in a cave, and maybe even Timer Balls when catching Legendaries since the longer the battle goes, the better chance it has at catching.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • I usually pick the Pokeball depending on the situation. Ultra Balls are my favorite, since they are simple and work in every type of environment. I have to admit though, catching a pokemon, especially a legendary, witht the regular Pokeball has a really awesome feeling to it.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • I pick my catching device depending on what Pokemon it is. If it's a rare Pokemon, or a strong one, I tend to use better Pokeballs, e.g. Ultra, or Great Balls. If it's a common Pokemon, then a common Pokeball will do. If legendary, Quick, Dusk and Ultra balls are preferred by me.

Years
  • Absolutely not. As soon as I have access to Dusk Balls I buy about 50 at least. The same ultimately goes for Quick Balls, Timer Balls and Nest Balls. (It's obviously easier to afford all of these once I've finished the game, haha). And I go to Kurt's house daily so I always have enough Heavy Balls, Lure Balls and Love Balls (the other three are a bit more specific to what they can catch so I'm not too bothered).

Once I've finished the game and decide I want to have a stab at filling the Pokédex, it's much easier to be in the wild, say "Oh, I don't have this yet" and rather than having to whittle it down, just pick an appropriate Ball- this usually works.

Of course in the case of the Fleeing Dogs/Lati (in HGSS), I often find they simply REFUSE to stay in any Ball, but don't struggle at all when I use a regular Pokéball. -_-

Years
    • Seen Feb 10, 2014
    I'm a perfectionist at heart, and I kinda have a obsession of getting all the Pokeballs in the game. Pity though, it's really hard to get a additional Master Ball, but oh well.

I hardly ever use the original Pokeballs once I can get Great Balls and other Poke balls. Other than for personal achievement, it really doesn't make sense to use a Pokeball as it has a low catch rate, but that's just IMO.

My fans are Timer Balls and quick balls for catching legendaries. Timer Balls work great on the big and tough guys like Raquaza, while Quick Balls work for the legendary dogs which flee once you encounter them. I normally stick to Ultra Balls for catching Pokemon, I find that although expensive, it's wonderfully effective.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I just use what I have, usually Pokéballs and Ultra Balls. Then again, that was in RSE. If I'd be playing the latest games I'd probably be using the special ones; timer balls, quick balls, etc.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I like to throw something that matches the Pokemon. My regular go-to balls are Premier, Heal, and Dive Balls. I like Love and Moon Balls, but ya know, they're not in many games.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    As with above, I like to go to those that match the pokémon. I used to be really picky, only using PokéBalls + regional exclusives - this meant catching all Johto pokémon in Apricorn Balls, for example, and in Black only using the originals. However, that's way too much effort so now its just a case of picking ones that match if I plan to use the pokémon ever, if not I just throw whatever's handy.

Miau

If I fits...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2022
    I usually just throw a Quick Ball on the first turn. If that doesn't do it, I just go with the more convenient choice: Dusk Balls in caves, Dive Balls for underwater Pokemon, Timer Balls in long battles (mostly for legendaries). Sometimes I use the odd Nest, Heal, Net or Premier Ball just for diversity, because I actually like having team members caught with different kinds of balls.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
  • Whatever suits the situation. I use to only use PokéBalls for the sake of consistency. But I realized later that this would be impossible.

Some games, I catch my entire team with PokéBalls because the Pokémon I use were all in the early game.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jun 27, 2013
    It depends on what Pokémon I'm wanting to catch. If it's not a common one I'll usually use a Ultra ball or Great Ball for it.

Years
  • I... honestly don't care what kind of Poke Ball my Pokemon are caught in, as long as I can catch them. Generally I use Ultra or Dusk Balls due to their higher catch rate, but there have been some rare circumstances where I've caught Rayquaza in a Dive Ball, Suicune in a Love Ball and Latias in a Net Ball.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2023
    Yes! Yes! Yes! I do. Haha. It's a habit I have, I buy all the different Poke Balls, but only use the original because it's much more challenging, plus I love knowing I caught every Pokemon in the same type of Ball. :D

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I'm usually using normal Pokeball when capturing the Pokemon which is found early in the game, but I'm starting to use more powerful or useful Pokeballs (like Great ball) later when it's available.

Altair1

Willpower
    Years
  • Yep, I also use the original Pokeballs! Unless the Pokemon suits the design of a certain Pokeball, like Tentacool and a Great Ball, I like to match colours with Pokemon... I also catch legends with Pokeballs since I find it so fun for some reason haha!
    Some Pokeball animations also intrigue me like the Dusk Ball one, it suits Giratina well!

Back