• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Version exclusives

Are version exclusives important to the Pokémon experience?

• Total voters
Years
  • Version exclusives ive kinda started hating in recent years as an outdated concept that just serves to make filling a pokedex complicated, or limiting things in certain games just cause dual release. There are so many work arounds for it that i dont see the point. Legends has proved pokemon doesnt need exclusives for anything major and scarlet and violet literally have a feature where if your connected to someone from the opposite game THEIR exclusives begin spawning in your world. Why cant it just be like that by default?

Whats your opinion?

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • If Game Freak is to release two games at the same time without much differences, then it makes sense for them to include version exclusives. Trading Pokémon is an important aspect of Pokémon, which Game Freak strongly encourages players to do, as players are likely to trade for Pokémon that aren't in their games. With that, I don't consider version exclusives to be outdated at all. The thing about Pokémon Legends: Arceus is that it is meant to be a side game to get players involved in the story and doesn't really encourage trading. You also said that trading makes completing the Pokédex more complicated. I disagree. I think it makes it easier because, by trading, you don't have to put in much work to obtain certain Pokémon, especially when many people in the community are willing to help out players out of kindness. The Union Circle feature is different because it is easier to get on a site like this and/or Discord and find someone to trade with rather than find someone that you trust to let you connect to their game and catch their version exclusives. However, this does raise the question: does Game Freak need to release two games per generation? Maybe not. Pokémon can definitely thrive with a single game release, but if every Pokémon was found on a single game, it could discourage trading. Like, for example, when I completed Pokémon Legends: Arceus, I didn't make a single trade to complete the Pokédex.

Years
    • Seen today
    I don't think they're important in this age, although personally version exclusives don't annoy me as much as Trade evolutions still being a thing.

Players still need to connect with others (or with themselves) to trade Pokémon from other games, and for battling (which is probably the most popular online feature), even for co-op Raids and possibly other things. Version exclusives are pretty obsolete and unnecessary at this point because the games have better elements to encourage connectivity and interaction between players... and trade evolutions are a redundant gimmick on top of another redundant gimmick.

Years
  • Pokémon can definitely thrive with a single game release, but if every Pokémon was found on a single game, it could discourage trading. Like, for example, when I completed Pokémon Legends: Arceus, I didn't make a single trade to complete the Pokédex.
    Maybe dont do it all the time, but i would LOVE more games like legends where everything was possible to find on your own. Id say it was a pro that legends didnt need trading.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Maybe dont do it all the time, but i would LOVE more games like legends where everything was possible to find on your own. Id say it was a pro that legends didnt need trading.

I think it is just overall better to trade for some. Pokémon are supposed have levels of rarity, meaning some are likely to require a different means to obtain them. Like, for example, it just didn't feel right in Pokémon Legends: Arceus running into Darkrai, Manaphy with three Phoine, and Shaymin in a regular playthrough when these are supposed to be mythical Pokémon with questionable existence. I think a similar thing applies to version exclusives as well, which are, nowadays, often rarer Pokémon and/or straight up box legendaries.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Personally dislikes version exclusives as a solo player. Hates needing a second person for in-game benefits (or waiting for their trading system to work, in recent days).

Are they important to the series, though? ...Yes and no.

Forces people to interact with others, in some form or another. Barely differs from an NPC by using the GTS. Adds nothing to the Pokemon experience.

Leads to some interaction for in-person trades, though. May talk about your experience playing the game*. Acts as a shared moment. Deepens your bond with the other person (however minutely) and the game as well. Keeps the game alive longer.

*See also:
    Version exclusives

Last edited:
    Years
  • Well, I like them. If Game Freak decided to abandon the two versions and only make one, it'd be great and it wouldn't be an issue anymore. The other thing I don't like is that basically it requires you to buy the Online Service to get the other games' exclusives. Now, I am against this tbh, but the concept itself works alright for me. I think that connecting with other people has always been a core feature of pokemon games, so it makes sense that it's still a feature. I think that it's the actual only reason why I would trade pokemon with other people. It's also really useful when you're undecided on which version of the games you want to buy.

Years
  • Absolutely outdated. The two version thing is outdated too but they can get away with it since it's what people have been used to since day one. I don't think the experiences of trading with people are the same as they were back during the link cable days, before Wi-Fi it was a little more exciting to get something in a trade you've never had in your game. But with how easy it is to connect with people online it's just not as fun anymore, especially since you now need a paid online subscription to do it (unless local, but most people probably don't have anyone local to trade with). They should be able to complete the dex without needing to pay for a subscription. If you're a GO player it makes getting exclusives easier at least, since you can bring them over but... still not too convenient imo, more so after already paying full price for a game.

Years
  • I see no ''I don't care either way'' option so I guess I'll be abstaining from the vote =P
    And no, the 'I'm not sure' options doesn't fit for me. As I am sure that I don't care either way 😏

It's always just been there for me, I don't mind it's existence at all. It encourages trading, which kid me hated as you had to physically be near someone and there just wasn't anyone I could trade with. Ever since we got wi-fi in Pokemon games trading has become easy and I don't mind trading anymore at all.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • I was just thinking about this the other day. It is completely outdated. A couple of version exclusices that can be easily obtained with a $5 USD or whatever online subscription does not justify purchasing another full price $60 USD Nintendo Switch game. I purchased Pokémon Violet and was able to trade for version exclusives easily, so I'm not interested in purchasing Pokémon Scarlet.

They could easily produce one version that has its own version exclusives based on in-game choices made. For example, if you choose a male or female trainer or a particular item like a fossil. This would make it more RPG like by having decisions within the game instead of from your wallet. I believe their original ideas for Red and Blue were having different Pokémon available based on your trainer ID and that there would be some 65,000 versions of the playthrough. It doesn't have to be that hectic, but maybe the game could have some alternate versions with predictability i.e. chosen ingame decision will give me Growlithe or Vulpix to spawn. You'd just trade for what you are missing. Unfortunately, they won't abandon the dual versions because it brings in more revenue.

Originally, I bought both versions during earlier generations for several reasons that are now outdated:
    1. Starting a new save file. Easily done now with creating/maintaining multiple profiles on the Switch.
    2. Storing excess Pokémon. Easily done now with Pokemon Home.
    3. Trading with myself without bothering others. Easily done now with Pokémon Home.
    4. Collecting displays. We are in an age of digital games. I sometimes purchase physical cartridges if I want their cases, but otherwise I purchase the games digitally.

Last edited:
    Back