• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Video games into movies.

pmarckoue

CAN IT BE!?
    Years
    Let's say that in a world where Hollywood knew anything about video games, which would be impossible. What video game(s) would you like to be turned into a movie?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    ...There have been quite a few games that have movies. Super Mario Bros, Resident Evil, there are others I just can't remember right now. But I think movies and games should stay separated, because most games based off movies also suck. It just ties together. You can only be one or the other...unless you're a rare case. That being said, I don't want any games becoming movies.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    I agree with Sydian above. It's pretty much the same with best-selling books becoming movies. The game itself is better than the Hollywood-made movie because it just ruins the story/plot. It's not the same.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Since Pokemon won't turn out well if it was made into a movie, I'd want Sonic, Super Mario Bros, Kingdom Hearts and Metal Gear Solid to be made into movies.

TJgamer

A Pokémon Poet
    Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2021
    I've always wondered why Hollyhood just has terrible taste in making films based on games. We could probably do better.

Well, one example I would love would be Bubble Bobble. I think an anime film based on that franchise can be awesome.
    I would have many ideas for plot, elements, characters, setting, etc.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
    Since Pokemon won't turn out well if it was made into a movie, I'd want Sonic, Super Mario Bros, Kingdom Hearts and Metal Gear Solid to be made into movies.
    Super Mario Bros. was made into a movie dood, albeit a terrible one at that. Also I think Final Fantasy got made into movies as well. I saw one the other day, and it was nothing like Final Fantasy.

Anyway, back on topic; I wouldn't mind seeing Perfect Dark made into a movie. Shooters seem to be good movie fodder, imo. :)

pmarckoue

CAN IT BE!?
    Years
    ...There have been quite a few games that have movies. Super Mario Bros, Resident Evil, there are others I just can't remember right now. But I think movies and games should stay separated, because most games based off movies also suck. It just ties together. You can only be one or the other...unless you're a rare case. That being said, I don't want any games becoming movies.
    There's also Doom, Alone In The Dark (believe was a game first, but could be wrong), Street Fighter (1994) and the Chun-Li movie, Farcry, House of the Dead,and Bloodrayne. That's all I can think of now. But let's say that they were never made, and Hollywood did know how to make a good video game movie, which will never happen. I'd think at least one of those would be a pretty cool movie, in my opinion.

MeerFall

Strong, Competitive, Cool!
    Years
    I love all games to have a 'off-based' movie story which means all new charators are their with the rules but not limited to basing it on recent anime and games

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I would say yes to this they are something like a Studio Ghibi or a Pixar film. A real-life film is a absoulte no-no.

About the movies, i would like a sonic x style sonic film with the new voice actors and a katamari film.

Last edited:

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
    Years
    That happened, and it was awesome, because it wasn't made in the west.

Curtis talli said:
    Animal crossing
    That also happened, but I haven't seen it. Probably not too shabby.

A Zelda one would be cool, Tf2 would be funny, and Ratchet and Clank might work. I can't see them being blockbuster hits though.

Delphinus

Auxiliary bro
    Years
    I quite enjoyed watching the Layton movie. Level-5's animations are just amazing <3
    The Layton movie was a perfect example of how a video game should be turned into a movie.

Silent Hill movie was alright but I don't think the creators really understood Silent Hill.

jcsimpson

Sing into my mouth
    Years

Also I think Final Fantasy got made into movies as well. I saw one the other day, and it was nothing like Final Fantasy.

Final fantasy the spirits within was terrible however, Final fantasy advent children was the coolest video game movie I've ever seen. The animal crossing movie was okay, a little weird and kind of boring and I loved Silent hill and thought Prince of persia was okay too.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    No matter how much Hollywood could know about video games, it wouldn't be enough. Because I'd put ten bucks on the fact that the movie would be live action, and that, imo, would be mediocre at best. Furthermore, the society of America could be insanely different from where the game is made (which is very likely Japan lol) and... honestly, being far away will lead to the movie being far from the game.

In other words, just someone who knows how to animate, and has played the game. Like, actually played it. Seriously, some video game movies are just so off it's like the director never even played the thing and just read the synopsis on Wikipedia. Being near the creators helps too, so y'know, you understand better or something. GOGO GHIBLI

Last edited:
    Years
    The only game I know of that didn't suck and was based off a movie would have to be Silent Hill.

That's it.

No, you're wrong.

The first Silent Hill was released in 1999. Where as, the film was released in 2006, 7 years after the original release.

The film was changed since it was based off Silent Hill 2, which was released 2001, but instead of the main character being James Sunderland, it was changed to a female and instead of the main character trying to find his dead wife, it is a mother looking for her kid.

tl;dr version. First Silent Hill released 1999, film released 2006.

Congratulations, I had to break my leave because of you.​

Back